devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

More Clarkson!!!!!!

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#242 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

On the one hand, I'm not happy with the return, but on the other hand, he has 7 non-EN goals in his last 56 games and makes nearly $3 million a year - how much could we expect back? It all depended on whether teams were going to buy into the gritty mcgrit thing.

Don't forget he scored the GWG in the last game of the season against Buffalo last year which guaranteed we would play Philly when we should have played Boston.

#243 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Geez... Makes u wonder what the flyers offered then? A 8th and 9th round pick or what?

The Flyers probably offered something better, but neither Langs nor Lou wanted a trade with them.
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#244 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,127 posts

1. Its great Langs is finally gone. He has presided over 3 monumental playoff failures (Losing to our two biggest rivals in 5 games, with the Devils showing no heart or competitiveness in both series, and blowing the series vs Carolina). We also needed to shed salary and get younger.

2. I think we couldve at least gotten a 2nd rd pick for him

3. This could give us some room to get Salvador back in the lineup when he gets healthy (presuming hes still not, and actually out due to injury and not cap issues)

#245 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

What an awful return. I wanted Jamie gone, but he should have had some real (2nd round) value. We gave up what will turn into essentially a late 1st rounder for Arnott -- I don't see their values being that different (to a non-Devils team where Jamie wasn't pouting for the last 11 months). What value have the Devils ever pulled out of the 3rd round? Nevermind -- they usually can't do sh!t with their first round pick.

I hope Vanderbeek has let Lou know that the clock is ticking and he's not pleased with recent performances. What a sh!tshow the last year or so has been. He had a shot to do something new and progressive about a year and a half ago... then he hired Jacques Lemaire.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#246 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Josefsen will get some ice time now!

a) isn't he still injured?
b) we have Jacques Lemaire. I bet he'd still have Stamkos in the minors because of the age.

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#247 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

:argh: :argh: :argh: :argh: :argh:

Clarkson has shown that he can be a good 4th liner as of late. However, he's a grossly overpaid 4th liner.

#248 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,050 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

What an awful return. I wanted Jamie gone, but he should have had some real (2nd round) value. We gave up what will turn into essentially a late 1st rounder for Arnott -- I don't see their values being that different (to a non-Devils team where Jamie wasn't pouting for the last 11 months). What value have the Devils ever pulled out of the 3rd round? Nevermind -- they usually can't do sh!t with their first round pick.

5 out of the devils last 6 1st round picks dating back to 2002 appear to be NHL players. That's Parise, Zajac, Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson.

Two of the Devils' best prospects, Adam Henrique and Alex Urbom, were 3rd round picks.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#249 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

Langenbrunner was going to be a UFA, so unless the Devils re-signed him his salary wouldn't hinder the signing of Parise.

Correct, but you were still paying him real American dollars. This was simply a cost cutting move, as much as it was moving an aging vet that feuded with the coach, earlier the better as far as Vanderbeek was concerned. JVB has spent WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than what was budgeted for this team for 2010-11. Why do you think Lemaire is back coaching? Free is free.

#250 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:06 AM

I can't believe people are bitching about the return for Langs, What did anyone honestly expect? He's not a top 6 forward and he has one year left on his contract. If we were the ones trading for him do you think we'd give up more than a third? Well we potentially got a 2nd round pick, so shaddup everyone.
Posted Image

#251 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:08 AM

5 out of the devils last 6 1st round picks dating back to 2002 appear to be NHL players. That's Parise, Zajac, Bergfors, Tedenby, and Josefson.

Two of the Devils' best prospects, Adam Henrique and Alex Urbom, were 3rd round picks.

Says the same person who has said losing a 1st rd pick is not a big deal

#252 britoon

britoon

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Thanks for the years Langs. He was always good to the fans too.
Posted Image

"Hockey is a beautiful, well-choreographed, symphony of violence
...a mixture of talent, grace and gladiatorial combat."

#253 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,925 posts

On the one hand, I'm not happy with the return, but on the other hand, he has 7 non-EN goals in his last 56 games and makes nearly $3 million a year - how much could we expect back? It all depended on whether teams were going to buy into the gritty mcgrit thing.

In bold (and add in that he's 35 and had to waive his NTC): why would anyone think the Devils were going to get a lot for him? I don't see how anyone could have expected much more.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#254 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:09 AM

I can't believe people are bitching about the return for Langs, What did anyone honestly expect? He's not a top 6 forward and he has one year left on his contract. If we were the ones trading for him do you think we'd give up more than a third? Well we potentially got a 2nd round pick, so shaddup everyone.

Have you seen the signings we've made lately? We probably would be paying him 5 mil for 5 years like a certain number 12.

#255 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

:clap2:

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#256 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

We essentially traded for, at best, a 25 perecent chance of getting an NHL caliber playing sometime down the road. Maybe Lou got the message from VBK to dump as much salary as possible in an attempt to boost the bottom-line, which will be pretty pathetic this year when all is said and done. What a let down.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#257 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:11 AM

From TG:

The Devils get a second-round pick if the Stars win a first-round playoff series or if they re-sign Langenbrunner, a potential UFA, before July 1. If the Stars don’t win a playoff round and re-sign Langenbrunner after July 1, the Devils still get the Stars 2011 third-round pick and will also get the Stars’ 2012 second-round pick and send their 2012 third-rounder to Dallas

How the hell did they come up with that deal it must have got confusing!!

So stars Win in the Playoffs/Resign pre july 1st Langs:

Devils Recieve: Stars 2nd Round pick 2011

Stars dont win playoff round or resign Langs before 1st July:

Devils Get:Dallas 3rd 2011 AND 2nd 2012
Dallas gets: Devils 3rd 2012

Change of Plan Dallas to fail.

Or have i got this all wrong??

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9, 07 January 2011 - 11:13 AM.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#258 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,996 posts

If you can't get anything of significance for a player that isn't a salary albatross for the next year or two (e.g. Roston, Zubrus) than there's no point in making a trade right now, unless the goal is to save money.

EDIT: If the conditions are met whereby we get a second rounder, then the deal is palatable.

Edited by Daniel, 07 January 2011 - 11:12 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#259 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Correct, but you were still paying him real American dollars. This was simply a cost cutting move, as much as it was moving an aging vet that feuded with the coach, earlier the better as far as Vanderbeek was concerned. JVB has spent WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more than what was budgeted for this team for 2010-11. Why do you think Lemaire is back coaching? Free is free.

That's true, I was just making the point that this trade has nothing to do with re-signing Parise.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#260 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,127 posts

Posted 07 January 2011 - 11:12 AM

But hes got great 'leadership'...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users