35 replies to this topic

#21 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:37 PM

BTW - Is this patriotic smarm, or a real hockey movie?

You won't like it DW - the US wins in this movie. :P ;)
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 Don

Don

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,849 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:53 PM

BTW - Is this patriotic smarm, or a real hockey movie?

You won't like it DW - the US wins in this movie. :P ;)

I don't care... it's ancient history. And apparently, it's a miracle when you guys win. (-:

My question was more - was this a "hockey team gels with just a dash of magic to overcome great odds" or "USA is better than everyone else at everything, even the stuff it sucks at" kinda movie.
"Lock'n'Load!" - Denny Crane
"Denny Crane!" - Denny Crane
"Trix are for kids!" - Denny Crane
"I hate cling-ons!" - Denny Crane

#23 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:14 PM

I know. Just kidding. And I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment. Did you see the quote from Larionov wondering how they treat the Russians in the movie? Hard to believe he was on that team.
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com

#24 Sarge18

Sarge18

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:38 PM

I know. Just kidding. And I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment. Did you see the quote from Larionov wondering how they treat the Russians in the movie? Hard to believe he was on that team.

Not that hard cause he wasnt :) He didnt play until 84, he was one of the last cuts on the 80 team.
"Jay Pandolfo's last game at Boston University was against the Wolverines," Madden said. "My job was to cover his line. Jay had scored something like 30 goals in 30 games that season. And that was his 31st game. Guess what happened?"

"We always joke about it now," Madden said. "Jay tells me: 'You shut me down that game and you've been shutting me down ever since. The only problem is, now you're playing with me. ' "

#25 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 10:03 PM

You're right. I read this wrong:

IGOR LARIONOV , who had such a brilliant career with the Red Army and former Soviet national teams, said he is anxious to see the new movie, "Miracle," about Team USA's 1980 Olympic gold medal and victory over the powerful Soviets. Larionov said he is curious because Russians have been portrayed as stupid in James Bonds films. "I want to see how accurately they show the Russian side because I know what happened there (in Lake Placid, N.Y.)," Larionov explained. "I played with most of those guys. I went to training camp that next July and I heard the stories."

#26 exit_16w

exit_16w

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:15 PM

After watching it I got the impression that the Russians were this almighty hockey powerhouse that had a huge cockyness to them. If you win that many times in a row you have every right to be. Cool FYI Billy Schneider plays his dad Buzz Schneider in it.

Edited by exit_16w, 05 February 2004 - 10:12 PM.

#27 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 11:52 PM

I cannot wait to see this movie, I was ten in 1980...and its probably the most exciting moment in sports that Ican remember, " Do you Beleive In Miracles..." I get chills everytime I hear Al Michaels say it...

My son and 2 older daughters will be with me sat afternoon when we go to see the movie... I'm really hope its as good as the clippings,,,,
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#28 NJayDevil

NJayDevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,126 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:08 AM

I'm definitely seeing it this weekend too. I even got some ppl here that come up to me saying that can't wait to see it and this place isn't known to liking hockey. Yay!
Official Keeper of Little G
New Jersey Devils|3|New York Yankees|27|New York Giants|3|Penn State|4|
"They are the loudest and most loyal students in the country. They call this place Happy Valley?
That's an understatement tonight. This is definitely the best place on Earth. I have seen Paternoville,
I have seen these students...there is nothing like this in the country."

-ESPN College Gameday
"We cannot rank Penn State University against other schools
in the party school category because we feel it is unfair to
rank professionals against amateurs."

-Playboy Magazine
"You're driving along with nothing and then it's like
cow... cow... cow... 20,000 hot chicks!
That's Penn State."

-Jon Stewart

#29 sheeps

sheeps

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,443 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 01:24 AM

I'm in Canada.

Don't get me wrong, it's still playing here, and the commercial's on TV all the time.

But finding someone to go with? That'll be fun.

Maybe I'll go by my lonesome!

#30 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 02:17 PM

My question was more - was this a "hockey team gels with just a dash of magic to overcome great odds" or "USA is better than everyone else at everything, even the stuff it sucks at" kinda movie.

Thats actually a pretty good question. I saw the movie this past weekend, and it was very well done. Better actually than I thought it would be. In my opinion it is not at all a "USA is the best" type of movie. It is much more a tribute to Brooks, and his sometimes questionable methods.

From all the documentaries I have seen regarding the 1980 team, the producers stayed very true to the story. The hockey sequences were well done, and the all important goals scored were pretty accurate as to how the old footage plays out. I think it is a very good hockey movie, that just happens to center on the US team. I can say this, I did not leave the theatre thinking "damn I am proud to be an American", more like "damn those guys went through hell"

I would definately recomend seeing it.

Chris
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#31 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 02:58 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this movie should have waited to come out until after the CBA is resolved. I say this because of the new and re-born fans that this movie will bring to the league. Add to that the media coverage hockey is going to get in result to this movie, even if the coverage isn't directly related to the NHL. Not to take anything away from the movie but this movie could be looked as at a huge advertistment for the sport of hockey, and hockey's main product is the NHL. To gain all of this publicity just to have it cut off at the head with a CBA lock out is just ..... depressing. Resolving the CBA is even more important now to the state of the NHL because of this movie.

Just my $.02.

Edited by JesterDevil, 04 February 2004 - 02:59 PM.

#32 djstubbs

djstubbs

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:36 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this movie should have waited to come out until after the CBA is resolved. I say this because of the new and re-born fans that this movie will bring to the league. Add to that the media coverage hockey is going to get in result to this movie, even if the coverage isn't directly related to the NHL. Not to take anything away from the movie but this movie could be looked as at a huge advertistment for the sport of hockey, and hockey's main product is the NHL. To gain all of this publicity just to have it cut off at the head with a CBA lock out is just ..... depressing. Resolving the CBA is even more important now to the state of the NHL because of this movie.

Just my $.02.

Whats the CBA?

#33 smokinscurvy

smokinscurvy

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:55 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this movie should have waited to come out until after the CBA is resolved.  I say this because of the new and re-born fans that this movie will bring to the league.  Add to that the media coverage hockey is going to get in result to this movie, even if the coverage isn't directly related to the NHL.  Not to take anything away from the movie but this movie could be looked as at a huge advertistment for the sport of hockey, and hockey's main product is the NHL.  To gain all of this publicity just to have it cut off at the head with a CBA lock out is just ..... depressing.  Resolving the CBA is even more important now to the state of the NHL because of this movie. 

Just my $.02.

Whats the CBA?

Collective Bargaining Agreement between the players and the owners
I know the pieces fit

#34 JesterDevil

JesterDevil

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,115 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 03:56 PM

CBA Collect Bargining Agreement. The reason there probably isn't going to be hockey next year.

#35 dallasdevil15

dallasdevil15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 05:08 PM

CBA Collect Bargining Agreement. The reason there probably isn't going to be hockey next year.

:(

lol I heard rumor modano was going to italy next year... but then again that a totally different subject than the movie.

#36 djstubbs

djstubbs

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,689 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 06:01 PM

Yeah I knew about that...

I just didn't realize what the acronym was of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users