155 replies to this topic

#41 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:59 PM

It's all Kovalchuks fault! I'll get the cross you get the nails.

It's more Lou's fault for not talking VBK out of the acquisition.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#42 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:00 PM

Marquis star?? What was Parise?

Well for one thing, heading into negotiations with Parise with him holding over your head that he is the be all and end all of your team's marketing doesn't seem too terribly fiscally sound especially given the fact that we'd been losing our marquis players left and right for five years at that point.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,731 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:05 PM

yawn. mantaray used to at least say different stupid stuff and that would be entertaining. the one note dumb stuff is not.

also it's 'marquee'.

Edited by Triumph, 11 January 2011 - 06:08 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:35 PM

yawn. mantaray used to at least say different stupid stuff and that would be entertaining. the one note dumb stuff is not.

also it's 'marquee'.

Yawn. Triumph don't you dishes to do or something?
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#45 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,684 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:41 PM

One of the things I admire most about LL is that we don't go through the "Boom & Bust cycle". We were better than that.

Bullsh!t
NO TEAM is "above" bottoming out
This one was coming.... it finally hit

the Red Wings avoided it by getting some serious hall of fame gems in the late rounds of a few drafts... you name me anotherr franchise in SPORTS that doesn't bottom out (and the Red Wings will bottom out too.... one day :P )
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#46 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:50 PM

Bullsh!t
NO TEAM is "above" bottoming out
This one was coming.... it finally hit

the Red Wings avoided it by getting some serious hall of fame gems in the late rounds of a few drafts... you name me anotherr franchise in SPORTS that doesn't bottom out (and the Red Wings will bottom out too.... one day :P )

The Yankees are pretty much above bottoming out.. The thing is, they can afford to buy better teams because there is no hard cap and they don't mind the luxury tax.. This is why I like the cap, because it evens things out.. Otherwise, the Leafs would be the NHL Yankees

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#47 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:26 PM

He has three game-winning goals (two in overtime) and a shootout clincher. That's the final word on four of this team's 11 wins.

I'd say he's a reason for a large chunk of the few wins we have.

He has 10 goals and he's got the worst plus-minus rating in the NHL. He's an embarrassment.

#48 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:36 PM

He has 10 goals and he's got the worst plus-minus rating in the NHL. He's an embarrassment.

That 10 goals is tied for the team lead.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#49 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,731 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:58 PM

do we need to list off the other embarrassments? tallinder, greene, rolston, clarkson until last week, zubrus probably, and most of all brodeur? nah. it's kovalchuk.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#50 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:06 PM

do we need to list off the other embarrassments? tallinder, greene, rolston, clarkson until last week, zubrus probably, and most of all brodeur? nah. it's kovalchuk.

There's an inclination by some to cut him a break because the whole team is terrible, but there is only one player who signed a $100 million deal (and took two months to do it), who the Devils have surrendered assets and picks to get in addition to the money. I hold him to a higher standard. It's fair. He cost a lot to get, and he's been such a disappointment. He's not even exciting. He's sometimes invisible.

Sorry, I'm not gonna pick on Brodeur similarly. He's built up a lot of equity here. Kovalchuk is the new stiff in town. He gets no slack.

#51 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

You see, it's all Kovalchuk's fault because.........well, it just is. :horse:

#52 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,294 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 11:03 PM

There's an inclination by some to cut him a break because the whole team is terrible, but there is only one player who signed a $100 million deal (and took two months to do it), who the Devils have surrendered assets and picks to get in addition to the money. I hold him to a higher standard. It's fair. He cost a lot to get, and he's been such a disappointment. He's not even exciting. He's sometimes invisible.

Sorry, I'm not gonna pick on Brodeur similarly. He's built up a lot of equity here. Kovalchuk is the new stiff in town. He gets no slack.

actually, he took 2 weeks. the league took 2 months.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#53 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,401 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:31 AM

Fixed.

I think the point is, Manta, is that people get kind of tired by your lamenting about the same thing. I'm sure many on this forum have second guessed the wisdom of the Kovy deal but they don't retread over it. It seems like every post you have has to have a dig at the Kovalchuk signing. Bottom line, Manta, we signed Kovy, he's here whether you like it or not, now be a Devils fan and contribute to the discussion instead of b&tching about Kovy this and Kovy that.

Oh come now, you guys are just as bad as they are. To not even acknowledge the Kovy deal and its aftermath as 'one' of the causes of this season (not to mention his own hideous play) is just living in denial. You don't just go from having your best start in '09-10 to two points off your worst start in '10-11 without dramatic causes.

Besides, Manta offered publicly to cut it out and most of you said he had the right to free speech so you guys can't whine about it now.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#54 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,902 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:13 AM

actually, he took 2 weeks. the league took 2 months.

Yeah. He signed on July 19 or whatever. You're right. But the team went to a lot of trouble to get him, regardless. And he has repaid them by stinking up the joint in spectacular fashion. It would be bad enough if he was just mediocre.

#55 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

That 10 goals is tied for the team lead.

Conversely:

Bergfors while playing 7 less games than Kovy has 9 goals, the same amount of points (23) and doing this for $5.7 Million less than Kovy this year.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#56 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

Conversely:

Bergfors while playing 7 less games than Kovy has 9 goals, the same amount of points (23) and doing this for $5.7 Million less than Kovy this year.

Yes, but at this point Atlanta is overall doing much better than NJ. Bergfors is 7th in goals and 8th in points on their team. Our entire team has been in a state of disarray all season long. If you want to blame that entirely on Ilya, thats your prerogative, but as far as I can tell, no one else is really burning it up either.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#57 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:37 AM

Conversely:

Which is good for 7th on the Thrashers in goals. Kovalchuk's 10 goals account for about 13% of all Devils tallies this year. Bergfors' 7 goals account for 5% of Atlanta's.

It's all relative, my dear Watson.

Edit: Somehow had Bergfors' team ranking in goals wrong. Whoops! Fixed now.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod, 12 January 2011 - 10:39 AM.

Posted Image

#58 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:42 AM

Yes, but at this point Atlanta is overall doing much better than NJ.

Why is that? What is the common denominator between Atlanta's rise and New Jersey's fall?

Could it be that by dealing their albatross to New Jersey they freed up salary room and where able to stock their team with the quality depth and defense?
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#59 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,198 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:43 AM

Oh come now, you guys are just as bad as they are. To not even acknowledge the Kovy deal and its aftermath as 'one' of the causes of this season (not to mention his own hideous play) is just living in denial. You don't just go from having your best start in '09-10 to two points off your worst start in '10-11 without dramatic causes.

Besides, Manta offered publicly to cut it out and most of you said he had the right to free speech so you guys can't whine about it now.

I'm pretty sure we all would acknowledge that the Kovalchuk deal was a contributing factor. Manta typically mentions it as the only factor(or that's at least the appearance from his posts).

And I'm all for Manta expressing his "free speech." That doesn't mean we don't have the right to harp on it.

at_midnight_1148.jpg

#60 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 10:47 AM

Why is that? What is the common denominator between Atlanta's rise and New Jersey's fall?

Jersey's fall began around Christmas last year, well before Kovalchuk arrived and Bergfors left. You know this.

::Cue the Lemaire head games rant::
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users