Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

http://www.nj.com/de....e_general.html

Devils may have future general manager in Martin Brodeur

"I don't know if I'd like the day-to-day operation of it. Maybe a few years after, but early-on I think something more like an assistant (GM) would be better suited for my personality. If I had the choice, that would more suit my demeanor."

But he could see himself doing what Tampa Bay's Steve Yzerman and Joe Nieuwendyk of the Dallas Stars have done, learning the ropes and then becoming GMs.

"When you get into it you care so much that you want to move up. Assistant coaches want to be head coaches," Brodeur said. "I'd like to get my feet wet first. But that could be a route I'd take later in my life."

Thoughts on Marty as the future GM?

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#2 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:11 PM

I have always said I would love to see him still in the franchise while not playing. I would like to see him as the Goaltending coach but anywhere within the franchise in general after his retirement would be great.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#3 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

lord no.

he can replace rob skrlac as the guy who hands out jerseys at games but his ideas of playing a goaltender as much as possible and defensemen not blocking shots are not instituional foundations i'd want my team built on.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,008 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:11 PM

Cue Lucifer's Dog.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:16 PM

Cue Lucifer's Dog.

That's kinda who i was waiting to hear from

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#6 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:18 PM

lord no.

he can replace rob skrlac as the guy who hands out jerseys at games but his ideas of playing a goaltender as much as possible and defensemen not blocking shots are not instituional foundations i'd want my team built on.

is it possible that he applied that strategy to himself, and would use other methods for different goalies?

#7 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:19 PM

I don't know how I feel about Marty specifically being a GM but I would like to have someone who has been in the organization for a long time take over rather than bring in some outsider.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#8 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:40 PM

I don't know how I feel about Marty specifically being a GM but I would like to have someone who has been in the organization for a long time take over rather than bring in some outsider.

many (including myself) are inclined to think the exact opposite. the devils have been slow to adapt to the "new nhl" - they have played UFA poorly, they invest money in players with very limited skill sets, they often do things that they know, etc.

sometimes a new voice and a different perspective can be a good thing.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#9 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,735 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:50 PM

I don't consider Marty to be a smart guy.

#10 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:19 PM

Mixed feelings. Marty is known for studying shooters and things like that.

#11 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:32 PM

Why's that?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#12 sirjohn

sirjohn

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:33 PM

He certainly has the ego for it. For me, that would be the last straw. I'd be forced to become an Islander fan.

#13 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:35 PM

He certainly has the ego for it. For me, that would be the last straw. I'd be forced to become an Islander fan.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out bud.....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#14 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,875 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

The problem with Marty as GM is he'd be tough to fire if he wasn't any good but I'd probably prefer Marty to Chris Lamoriello at least :lol:

I vehemently disagree...he follows the game more than just about any other player and grew up in the Habs tradition. Reading his book you can see just how much he does apply himself to the league, to studying shooters and things like that.

I think he could be a good GM but the risk of us hiring him might be too great.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#15 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 10:55 PM

He's going to be our coach one day or in the front office. Many great players return to the game that way, and Marty is perhaps the greatest player we have ever have. Same with Stevens, hope he's our head coach in 5 years or so.

#16 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:19 AM

I don't like it. If he's good, that's awesome. It builds more to the legend. BUT, if he sucks, how do you fire him, an eternal face of the franchise?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hey, at least we know he'll never take any time off.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#18 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:11 AM

I don't like it. If he's good, that's awesome. It builds more to the legend. BUT, if he sucks, how do you fire him, an eternal face of the franchise?

Exactly. That's the same issue I'd have with Stevens taking over behind the bench one day. Great, great players, I will definitely love to see them involed in the organisation, but coach and GM are the most responsible positions and if you suck, no one will pity you because you were the franchise player x years ago.

That being said, I have no idea what kind of a GM Marty would be. I don't think anyone knows it.

#19 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:14 AM

Like most things when it comes to the internal affairs of the team, I have no idea if Marty would or would not be a good GM. On the outside he appears to be a student of the game and a guy who gets how it's played, so that would be a good start for someone who might be a GM some day. Heck, I have no idea if some GMs are any good or not or if they have amazing subordinates that they're smart enough to listen to.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#20 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,272 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:30 AM

It seems like Marty knows he'd have to learn the ropes. And if he does, no telling if he'd be great or not, but as long as you don't pull a Dallas and just name an ex-player GM immediately without any experience at all, it shouldn't be a disaster (I am talking about Hull not Nieuwendyk of course).

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users