30 replies to this topic

#21 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

Marty is very hockey smart! and he's smart enough to know he'd need to feel out the position - find out if he's any good at it before just jumping in. This season's failing is very good for Marty personally. It teaches a lot and it's something he's never been through. Stuff like this is first step to transitioning into a new role within the game.

The easy route -- obviously would be broadcasting -- then you get to take pot shots and shoot off your mouth with zero repercussions -- and he'd still feel pretty :P

Both Stevens and Marty really understand trust. I'm not sure how that translates into management. Both have huge egos in terms of not wanting to fail or be seen as failures. We know Stevens can quell those voices in his head for the most part and do what has to be done or accept what canNOT be done and move on. Marty is HYPER-critical and always has the "right" opinion - again I'm not sure how this would translate. He's really learning about hitting a brick wall this season. It has to be seen how he rolls with that going forward. How an when will he react to not being right in every instance - physically it's very clear cut, but mentally - he thinks it's as clear but now I am hoping sees it just isn't as easy as all that --- how do you work then? He was always able to SAY Hey there is a lot I dont know -- but now he clearly is learning that. So... we'll see how this all pans out.

He's being very honest -- he's considering all options of course and has to see what honestly works.

I'm here for the party

#22 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:00 AM

This reminds me of what's going on with Messier.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:16 AM

This reminds me of what's going on with Messier.

and it's bad news. nieuwendyk is succeeding because he got lucky, yzerman walked into a good situation and has done a lot with it. i don't want brodeur anywhere near this team's front office.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:59 AM

Although I may not love Marty as a person/player I think he could turn out to make a good GM.
Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#25 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,836 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 11:07 AM

and it's bad news. nieuwendyk is succeeding because he got lucky, yzerman walked into a good situation and has done a lot with it. i don't want brodeur anywhere near this team's front office.

Just because you didn't foresee it doesn't mean it's luck. And Yzerman put his own stamp on Tampa immediately.

There is no telling if Brodeur would be a good or bad GM. He would take years as an assistant before ever being an actual GM. We have no way of knowing how it would work out.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#26 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,615 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:29 PM

I think I'd rather have Marty end up like Yzerman rather than like Nieuwendyk. That is, if he does become a GM, it's with a different team and they can worry about firing him if he doesn't work out. And if he's any good, it sucks for us that he's not working for the Devils, but it still reflects well on the franchise, and there's nothing that says he can't come back to New Jersey some day after getting some experience under his belt.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#27 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:32 PM

I think Yzerman owes a lot to Ken Holland.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

I think Yzerman owes a lot to Ken Holland.

Yzerman owes a lot to the Lightning stinking for two or three years before he got there.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#29 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:47 PM

True. But I saw a figure on one of the Lightning broadcasts of the players that they brought in in the offseason. It was quite a change when Yzerman came in.

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,740 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:48 PM

Just because you didn't foresee it doesn't mean it's luck. And Yzerman put his own stamp on Tampa immediately.

it does when it involves being crushed at even strength. let me know how that works out for them in the second half.

i didn't foresee phoenix doing well last year, but their doing well was based on sustainable results. dallas's record is not. their defense is weak and will be exposed eventually.

Edited by Triumph, 14 January 2011 - 12:51 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,224 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

I'd kill to have Dallas' defense right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users