• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

According to David Shoalts of the Globe & Mail, Pittsburgh Penguins star Sidney Crosby(notes) might skip the 2011 NHL All-Star Game as a form of protest over the League's headshot prevention and player safety measures. Only he wouldn't tell the NHL that's the reason ... except now that it's in the Globe & Mail, perhaps it's time to revisit those plans.

From the Globe & Mail, an anonymously sourced bombshell:

The word filtering out of the Pittsburgh Penguins is that Crosby is an angry young man, angry enough to pull his considerable star presence from one of the league's showcase events because he does not think the NHL is doing enough to protect its players. An NHL source said Crosby is not likely to tell the NHL he is withdrawing from the all-star game to protest the fact neither player who hit him on the head was suspended. However, he could easily decline and cite the need for complete recovery from a mild concussion.

The source said Crosby, who showed up at the all-star game in Montreal two years ago even though he sustained a knee injury and could not play, is not inclined to do any more such favours right now

http://goo.gl/6w6IN
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

Shanahan just said in the tweet that he's very cooperative, so those are bullsh!t news.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#3 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

I'm sure Sid would have thrown himself on the floor in a tantrum if it wasn't for the concussion.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#4 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:04 PM

Not happening. Crosby has enough heat from everyone else in the league. What little supporters he has that arent Pens fans will drop him like an unwanted pregnancy.

In the last year or two, I have seen his maturity level rise from an 8 year old to about a 12 year old. Hes becoming a young adult right before my eyes.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#5 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
This co&ckpuncher has no room to pout about suspensions.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#6 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:13 PM

oh, I thought it was because the game was in AZ.

#7 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:16 PM

oh, I thought it was because the game was in AZ.

It's actually in North Carolina.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,924 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:20 PM

i don't really believe a word of this. gotta love that canadian media.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Brooks tried to get on Crosby for this boycott, which turned out to be untrue anyway, because Cooke is on his team. Turned out Crosby had been pretty negative on Cooke when he hit Savard, so Brooks looked a little silly
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#10 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,845 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:10 PM

It's actually in North Carolina.

yes, I know. I was being sarcastic, as the AZ game is all we will hear about this summer - but not about the two months that half the MLB teams spend there for spring training.

#11 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

What a whiny little crybaby.

#12 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:15 PM

What a whiny little crybaby.

I disagree. Players should be more vocal about how they feel towards these kinds of dangerous hits. Right now it's GMs v media with the fans as spectators.

I would actually LIKE this to be true. Maybe it'll take a super star like Crosby to cause a stink before the league does something about it. I would have said GOOD FOR HIM if it were true. I like hockey to be physical. I like fights. But guys should NEVER have to be worried about career ending and life threatening injuries. Head injuries are nothing to joke about and I am STILL mad to this day that nothing was done about Carter's hit on Salmela last season and none of the pussies in red did anything about it and lost the game without a fight.

#13 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

I disagree. Players should be more vocal about how they feel towards these kinds of dangerous hits. Right now it's GMs v media with the fans as spectators.

I would actually LIKE this to be true. Maybe it'll take a super star like Crosby to cause a stink before the league does something about it. I would have said GOOD FOR HIM if it were true. I like hockey to be physical. I like fights. But guys should NEVER have to be worried about career ending and life threatening injuries. Head injuries are nothing to joke about and I am STILL mad to this day that nothing was done about Carter's hit on Salmela last season and none of the pussies in red did anything about it and lost the game without a fight.

He's not putting up a fuss to bring awareness to head hits. He's putting up a fuss because the players who hit him weren't suspended.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#14 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

no sidney? no great loss...

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#15 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:16 PM

He's not putting up a fuss to bring awareness to head hits. He's putting up a fuss because the players who hit him weren't suspended.

They should have been.... Steckel should have at least gotten a penalty. Everyone whines about the league going balls deep over Crosby... well here's an instance where he received a direct hit to the head, got hurt... and now the league won't have their poster boy in the All Star game and they did NOTHING about it to the guy who hit him.

#16 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:25 PM

Incidental contact IMO:

Regardless, the Cros gets away with a ton of crap. He should get used to stuff not going his way all the time.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#17 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:28 PM

Crosby basically said the league needed to protect players from headshots when his own teammate was the one in trouble because it's "scary". It wasn't just because it happened to him this time.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#18 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

Crosby was actually vocally critical about one of Cooke's incidents.

#19 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:34 PM

Whatever. Crosby's a douchebag. The only way I'd like him is if he was on the Devils. Only then he'd be "our" douchebag.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#20 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:41 PM

just sayin:

mk6ihcS.gif?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users