75 replies to this topic

#21 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:41 PM

I just thought I'd post an update. Mom is less "confused" since the doctor prescribed "Aricept", which is a kind of "memory medicine", I guess. It has made a positive difference.

But she spent the last few days in the hospital after getting a stomach flu, which along with a diuretic they had her on, caused her sodium level to drop almost to the "seizure" zone. She got to go home yesterday, and they've adjusted her medications. First it was potassium that was dangerously low, then sodium. I hope they have it right this time!

We found a wonderful nurse (she's also related to the family by marriage) to stay with her during the week and one weeknight, and my Mom has already fallen in love with her. This is such a blessing and a help for us. This means that we just have to take turns spending 4 weeknights and the weekends with her, so it doesn't interfere with work most of the time. While she was in the hospital, we did take turns staying with her, even though Lupe (the nurse) and Mom's sister were there most of the time, too.

I stayed Thursday night, and woke up Friday morning sick as a dog. :puke: (That kind of sick . . . yuck . . . it wasn't pretty.) So I had to come home as soon as I could, and spent all of yesterday in bed and most of today. I finally feel normal again. B)

My brother from Colorado is coming back in tomorrow to spend a week with her. (He has to take his turns a week at a time, and once his hunting/outfitting season gets going again, he won't be able to come down for awhile. It's nice when he's here since it gives us a whole week off.

Mom is like a little child now when it comes to something she knows is going to hurt. She anticipates it, and worries about it, and starts crying even before it happens. It's so sad. We try to comfort her just like we would a child, but it's so hard see her like that, and not to treat her like an adult.

She's very emotional, and cries easily, so I know she's mourning her loss of health and loss of independence.

Well, thanks for "listening", and caring. And especially, thanks for your prayers.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#22 Lady Stanley

Lady Stanley

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 06:52 PM

Hang in there, Nieuwy!

I'm glad to hear the medication is working well! How wonderful that you found a nurse that both your family and your mom loves! That is a blessing!

Above all else, remember that through this ordeal, you, and the other caregivers, need to take good care of yourselves!! Take time to do the things that YOU enjoy. It can be a frustrating, emotionally draining time. Don't feel guilty for taking the time to do something fun and invigorating for yourself!!

Good luck and God Bless!
Laura

#23 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:17 PM

:pray:
So Say We All

#24 poohbear

poohbear

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 07:57 PM

I'm right there with you, LGD. :pray:

I really hope for the best for you and your family, Nieuwy. Whatever that is. God, that sounds lame! I agree with Lady Stanley that you have to take care of yourselves, too. Get better and bless you and yours. Keep us updated when you can.
Proud NJDevs Co-Keeper of Martin Brodeur. I'm with you, LD30!

How hot is my avatar? Woof, I love those eyes!! Ugh, I'm such a girl.

#25 exit_16w

exit_16w

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:09 PM

Nieuwy,
My grandfather had alzheimers for a long time before he died. Ive helped care for him and being me and my mother are both EMTs it helped to work with it. If you have any questions, problems, or just need someone to talk with about it feel free to e-mail me. I will gladly help in anyway i can. I know first hand how mentally frustrating it is.

#26 femalenynjazfan

femalenynjazfan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 08:19 PM

It sucks seeing a family member ill. My mom has been in remission from leukemia (cancer) since 1997. Seeing that was horrible. I wish you and your family all the best through this horrible time in your life.

#27 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 21 February 2004 - 10:24 PM

Thanks, all. I appreciate your thoughts & prayers, and your offers for help. :hail:
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com

#28 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,858 posts

Posted 22 February 2004 - 01:16 AM

Nieuwy, I'm glad she's doing better :) . Hang in there :pray: !

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#29 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:13 PM

Wow. Things just took a horrible and bizarre turn last night. Mom was back in the hospital again (!) for a few days because she had started vomiting blood. Turns out she has 2 ulcers on her esophagus. That's apparently easily treatable, and after 3 days, they sent her home yesterday afternoon. I had spent the night at the hospital Sunday night and left early yesterday morning to go to work. So my Aunt and the caretaker take her home. They pull up in the driveway and before the two women even got the car doors open, Mom, who was sitting in the back seat, got out and headed down the driveway to the mailbox. She tripped, fell hard on her face (apparently she didn't even get her arms out to block the fall) and bloodied her face badly.

They called the paramedics who took her right back to the hospital. At first it looked like she had only broken her nose and they were going to just fix her up and send her back home. But when the Xrays came back, they found that she had broken her neck in 2 places! The neurosurgeon came and told my Mom very frankly that if she even tried to move her head, it could kill her. He said that fractures like this are usually seen in car accidents where a lot of force is involved, and that usually they are fatal.

One vertebra is out of place - tilted forward, so they can't even go in and do surgery. They have her in ICU, sedated, and will keep her there a few days. Once the swelling goes down they will do some more Xrays. They are hoping that the vertebra will slip back into place, and if it does, they will then consider doing surgery. But her age and mental condition are against surgery. She will never be able to go home again. She will need round the clock care. She may be in the hospital a long time, but we really don't know what to expect. This is such a shock and has thrown us all for a loop. We thought we had things at least a little under control. Now all is chaos.

I kept thinking about her all night and wondering if she was afraid, and aware of how seriously she's hurt, and what's she thinking, and on and on. 7 short weeks ago her life was normal. We can never know what might change in an instant.

#30 smokinscurvy

smokinscurvy

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 06:31 PM

So, so sorry to hear that Nieuwy. I'll :pray: for you and your mother!!!!

God bless.
I know the pieces fit

#31 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,705 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:02 PM

Oh my stars Nieuwy...what a strange set of events...PM me her name and I will have her added to prayer lists...friends have me on lots so they will have no problem with a friend's mom albeit virtual friend :pray:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,217 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:06 PM

:saddevil:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#33 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,582 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 07:20 PM

:saddevil: My prayers are with you and your family, Nieuwy. :pray:

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#34 dallasdevil15

dallasdevil15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 09 March 2004 - 09:00 PM

Wow that's horrible you all are in my prayers. I really hope everything works out for the better.
ďIíve been fortunate enough to play on some pretty good hockey teams, and Iíve been fortunate enough to win two Stanley Cups. I donít know what more I could ask for.Ē -Jamie

Posted Image

How much Mat could a Matvichuck chuck,
If a Matvichuck could chuck Mat?

#35 poohbear

poohbear

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:27 AM

So sorry, Nieuwy, for your Mom, you, and your family. We'll keep praying for you and we're here if you need support. :pray:

Edited by poohbear, 10 March 2004 - 07:27 AM.

Proud NJDevs Co-Keeper of Martin Brodeur. I'm with you, LD30!

How hot is my avatar? Woof, I love those eyes!! Ugh, I'm such a girl.

#36 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:30 PM

Prayers for your mother and family, ML. :(
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#37 deviledeggs

deviledeggs

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 06:33 PM

My prayers are with you and your family!!!!

GODBLESS!!!!!!!!1

#38 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:17 AM

I haven't updated you on my Mom in a long time. She's actually doing pretty well, all things considered. The vertebra did finally slide back into place, so the doctor took off the awful collar, since it couldn't do anything more. The vertebra have not mended, though, and likely never will, so she's still in the same danger from any sort of fall.

Her overall health has improved, she's not on as much medication. Her mental health seems pretty stable although there is some deterioration, which we know will just keep happening. But she's much more content without that neck collar.

Her caretaker is still with her M-F and we still take turns on Saturdays & Sundays, but all together, it's a lot better than it was a few months ago.

---------------------------------------------------------------

This past week, however, was the week from hell!

Monday our older son was in a really bad car accident several hundred miles away from home. Thankfully, he only ended up with 2 broken ribs & a small bruise on his lung. He spent the night in the hospital, and has been staying with us since he got home. But he's doing well enough that he's moving back to his apartment tonight. But when they did all the x-rays at the hospital, they found he has a growth on his thyroid. He's going to have blood tests done in a couple of weeks to see what that is, and what needs to be done.

On Thursday morning, my niece gave birth prematurely to a baby boy, whose lungs weren't developed enough for him to be able to breathe. He lived a couple of minutes after birth. He was only 23 weeks along, and weighed 1 lb 3 oz. They say he was beautiful, and perfectly formed. His name was Caden James Gutierrez. His funeral is today.

#39 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:37 AM

I had only started posting around the time of this original post so i am sorry about your mom and I am sure by now you are learning how to deal with it but my advice would just be patience. My aunt would never remember anything recent but she would always ask if her brother ron was coming... ron had died when he was 17.. about 70 yuears earlier.. very weird how it works..

I am so happy to hear that your son is ok, that must be a parents worse nightmare.... and im sorry to hear about your nieces baby, my prayters are certainly with all of you. Its sad when anyone passes, but children just break my heart even more :( Hang in there, and keep the memories
Tim O'Connor(my favorite F LIST celeb :) ) :
"Do people still do birthday parties at McDonalds? Like does Ronald McDonald still show up? Whatever happened to Grimace? Do they still run the Hamburgular? They were a hit back in the day. The Hamburgular, Grimace, who else?"
Rob Brink(My favorite writer): "Mayor McCheese."

Tim O'Connor
: Mayor McCheese, oh my God! Holy sh!t how did you remember that?

Rob Brink : "He was wearing a tuxedo and his head was a fvckiní cheeseburger dude!

#40 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,422 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 11:39 AM

Good news about your mother :) I was worried when I saw this bumped.

Trauma news about your son -- thank goodness all is as well as we could've hoped!!

So sorry about your grand nephew :( Now that I've been through pregnancy I understand he had a valuable little life and was as alive as alive can be even before the few minutes he got in open air! Though only here for those precious few minutes he'll be remembered.

I think it's so strange how when I was a kid I'd think "why does great gramma STILL have a picture of her first child up -- she died when she was 6 months." As if that made her life less significant. How did I not get it? :unsure:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 23 August 2004 - 11:39 AM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users