75 replies to this topic

#41 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 12:19 PM

That was, as you said, the week from hell.

Glad to hear your Mom is doing better and that your son's injuries are the best you could hope for (not that you ever hope for ANY). Hope he is fully recovered soon!!!

So sad about the baby. These days they can keep so many more of them alive that they could not keep alive before.

My brother actually invented the latest test to tell if a baby's lungs are developed enough to survive outside the mother. They had a test for the chemical that would be present if the baby could survive but it was very long and difficult and didn't always give reliable results. He said that you should be able to make the chemical foam if it is present. That was his thesis for his masters degree.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:06 PM

Awww, Nieuwy :saddevil: - hope your son and niece see better days really soon. Glad your mom's improved a little at least :)
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 04:15 PM

Nieuwy...peace and calm to you and your family...you could use it...glad mom is feeling better...you and her are still on the list :) Glad son is faring well...sorry about the little soul...angels over you and your loved ones :pray:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#44 Zamode

Zamode

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,488 posts

Posted 23 August 2004 - 09:15 PM

Prayers are with you Nieuwy, sorry to hear your news about your grand niece.

Speedy recovery for your son and good progression for mom.
Posted Image

Thanks Lurker

#45 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:05 PM

Good news about your mother :) I was worried when I saw this bumped.

Trauma news about your son -- thank goodness all is as well as we could've hoped!!

So sorry about your grand nephew :( Now that I've been through pregnancy I understand he had a valuable little life and was as alive as alive can be even before the few minutes he got in open air! Though only here for those precious few minutes he'll be remembered.

I think it's so strange how when I was a kid I'd think "why does great gramma STILL have a picture of her first child up -- she died when she was 6 months." As if that made her life less significant. How did I not get it? :unsure:

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts & prayers.

My niece got to hold the baby, and they kept him in the room with them for about an hour, so they all (parents & grandparents) got to spend time with him before they had to give him up. I know that helped my niece a lot. It would have been horrible if she had not even gotten to see him or hold him.

Sue, the doctors said that if the baby had gotten even one more week further along (24 weeks) he would have had a chance to live. He just didn't quite make it. My niece has endometriosis, which apparently causes the mother's body to "open up" and drop the baby early, which is what happened to her. Sometimes, if they catch the process in time, they can stop it, sew up the mother (!), put her to bed, and give the baby enough time to develop so that a healthy birth is possible. My niece is 37 though, so I don't know if she'll want to try again.
Winner of the 2004 Lady Byng Award and the 2003 and 2004 Joe Nieuwendyk award.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

#46 SueNJ97

SueNJ97

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,814 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:16 PM

I'm glad to hear that your niece was able to spend that time with the baby, I'm sure it did help her. It would have been terrible if she had not been able to see him at all.

One of my closest friends has a cervix that just doesn't work. After several miscarriages they did sew her up and she stayed in bed for months and delivered her first child nearly full-term. We thought she would be sensible and not try again, but a few years ago she did. She didn't want to stay in bed, so she wasn't sewn up. She had the baby at about 24 weeks. She was DAMN lucky. After a few months in the ICU and several months of physical therapy, it appears that little Erik will not only survive, but have no obvious physical or mental problems. She doesn't know how angry we all are with her for this, though...it was damn selfish of her to put the kid at risk like that. It's just pure luck that he's healthy.
NJDevs.com Keeper of Lou Lamoriello (until he finds out & kills me that is)

Now that we are going to have a season, I can post these...
2004-2005 NJDevs.com winner of the Brodeur, Lamoriello and Howe awards, thanks guys, I appreciate the hat trick.

#47 point

point

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:46 PM

I rarely look at off-topic, so I just came across this thread. Nieuwy25, My prayers are with you and your mother. My wife's mother died last August, while she was living with us. She had been suffering from a number of maladies. My wife is still getting over the loss, I know.

My father has a very bad memory, and has difficulty putting sentences together, but I know he follows conversations, he just can't get his thoughts out. It has been very hard on my mom, but they get around.

Again, we are praying for your mom too.
2 C6H12O6 > 2 C2H5OH + 2CO2

#48 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:11 AM

An update on my son . . .

it has taken 3 weeks and several tests, but they have finally decided that he does have thyroid cancer. He is to speak to the surgeon today, so I would assume they'll remove the thyroid all together, and put him on synthetic thyroid hormone. He has 2 growths on it - one of which came up quickly. His thyroid may not have been working for a long time - I doubt they've ever tested it before.

Hopefully removing the thyroid will take care of it, and no further treatment will be necessary.

Please pray for Nathan. Thanks!
"He has no ego," says Lou Lamoriello, general manager of the New Jersey Devils. "I don't think he has a selfish bone in his body. It gets infectious with people around him, but that's Joe. Having him here was something very special."
And the simple truth is this -- before and after Joe Nieuwendyk, this franchise has not been as good. Yes the same could be said for others, but Nieuwendyk's effect on his team, on his team's best players, on the fans and in the community can only be compared to, well, what Jarome Iginla is doing now in Calgary. Ralph Strangis, dallasstars.com

#49 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:15 AM

Nieuwy, I will be keeping your entire family in my prayers, including yourself, your mother, and your son.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#50 poohbear

poohbear

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:47 AM

Add me to your prayer circle. :pray:
Proud NJDevs Co-Keeper of Martin Brodeur. I'm with you, LD30!

How hot is my avatar? Woof, I love those eyes!! Ugh, I'm such a girl.

#51 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,392 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 09:51 AM

Best of luck in these hard times. I'm praying for Nathan and your family.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#52 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:06 AM

:pray:

I'm on synthetic thyroid hormone. It's great - so no worries there :)

Let's hope everything goes well with surgery and nothing wakes up anywhere else! Truly you've got my prayers Nieuwy and Nathan!

I'm here for the party

#53 sammyk

sammyk

Professional Googler

• Contributor
  • 25,600 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 11:45 AM

Best of luck with everything. :)
This is how big your signature should be. Any larger and you are compensating.

#54 langsgirl

langsgirl

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,684 posts

Posted 16 September 2004 - 12:05 PM

stay strong everything will work out Im sure!
Tim O'Connor(my favorite F LIST celeb :) ) :
"Do people still do birthday parties at McDonalds? Like does Ronald McDonald still show up? Whatever happened to Grimace? Do they still run the Hamburgular? They were a hit back in the day. The Hamburgular, Grimace, who else?"
Rob Brink(My favorite writer): "Mayor McCheese."

Tim O'Connor
: Mayor McCheese, oh my God! Holy sh!t how did you remember that?

Rob Brink : [color="purple"]"He was wearing a tuxedo and his head was a fvckin

#55 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 17 September 2004 - 05:01 PM

I will have his prayers stepped up on the prayer lists that also include you and your mom...angels over you :pray:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#56 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 12:49 PM

Thanks again.

He was supposed to meet with the surgeon this morning, so I'm anxiously awaiting a phone call. . . .

#57 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:01 PM

Surgery will not be til 10/5 . . . TWO WEEKS to wait!!! :argh:

They will take out the lumps, biopsy them, (they apparently aren't 100% sure they are malignant), then decide if they need to take out more, etc.

So the waiting continues. :blink:

#58 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,868 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:12 PM

Geez louise I hope the two-week layoff doesn't make things any more complicated for your son...but it's important to get it right the first time though :pray:

Edited by Hasan4978, 21 September 2004 - 04:16 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#59 Nieuwy25

Nieuwy25

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,903 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 02:28 PM

Hey boys & girls -

just popping on for a minute. I'm heading over to my Mom's for the rest of the weekend, and Monday will be very busy at work, so I just wanted to ask you all to remember to pray for Nathan as he goes in for surgery Tuesday (about 12:30 EDT). I'll be with him Tuesday & Wednesday. They expect him to come home Wednesday, so we'll bring him here until he feels up to going back to his apartment. I'll try to post as soon as possible when I know anything more.

Thanks, everybody! Big hugs to you all for caring!!! You're the best!

#60 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 02:29 PM

Thoughts and prayers are with you and Nathan, Nieuwy. Please keep us updated on you and your family. :pray: :)

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users