49 replies to this topic

#21 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Arnott will not yield more than a 2nd rounder, but more likely a 3rd rounder, but it really depends on how bad Camelari is hurt.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#22 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Arnott's contract is up this year, so he'll be cheaper next year. I hope Henrique pans out in the NHL next year, but I'd feel much more comfortable with an Arnott in the lineup, even if Elias slots into the center.

I have to go find the FA list to see if there's a better option that can be signed off the market, but 2011-12 is the "reckoning" of all our cap issues, unless a big move is made (Elias, Brodeur, Rolston).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

Arnott's contract is up this year, so he'll be cheaper next year. I hope Henrique pans out in the NHL next year, but I'd feel much more comfortable with an Arnott in the lineup, even if Elias slots into the center.

I have to go find the FA list to see if there's a better option that can be signed off the market, but 2011-12 is the "reckoning" of all our cap issues, unless a big move is made (Elias, Brodeur, Rolston).

arnott still won't be dirt cheap, and he hasn't really played all that well this year. the devils still have cap issues next year. if it came down to arnott or greene, i'd want greene. greene is at least durable. arnott has remained injury-free this year, but he will be 37 at the beginning of next year. there's just no guarantees that he will be any good. he's already had his ice time reduced. he doesn't kill penalties.

eric belanger is the only other suitable center. neither of these seem like good solutions especially when henrique has 3 shots a game as an AHL rookie this season, and has maintained a positive plus/minus on a rather weak team.

Edited by Triumph, 25 January 2011 - 01:36 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:39 PM

Sarcastic quips aside, it's also possible the NJD draft a center high. Not that he'd necessarily play in the NHL next year.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#25 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 02:19 PM

Not trading him is loopy. With the team playing better, guys like Arnott have perhaps upped their trade value. The fire sale must go on. Let's get real.

seriously...be reasonable people...speaking of reasonable...i think we could get a 2nd and 3rd or 4th...maybe in different years
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#26 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

I'll wait until mid-February and see where this teams stands.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#27 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

Statistically-speaking, I like this absurd over-simplification of the Devils play of late and its implication on their playoff hopes.

Before the hot streak, the Devils were 27 points behind the Bruins for the 8th spot in the East. Seven games, six wins and 13 out of 14 points later, the Devils are 20 points behind Atlanta for that 8th spot. Seven games, made up seven points. There are 34 games left.

Easy as pie. We'll be buyers for sure. :evil:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#28 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:21 PM

With each passing game I find myself believing more and more that we will have some shot to do the improbable!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#29 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

eric belanger is the only other suitable center.

LMAO, yes we need to continue the Rasmussen, Rob Niedermayer, retreads. But he is NOT a second line center.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

LMAO, yes we need to continue the Rasmussen, Rob Niedermayer, retreads. But he is NOT a second line center.

neither is arnott on this team right now, in case you haven't been watching. he's clearly centering the devils' 3rd line.

#31 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

there won't be that many offers, most teams can't fit arnott under the cap

He's under contract for like three more months, so the cap hit his new team will take will be little, I believe.

I don't expect anything big in return, but a 2nd rounder should be possible. It's better than nothing and we won't be fighting for anything after the deadline, so Arnie doesn't help us much anyway.

BTW, Rolston has been HOT. If we want to get rid of him ever before his contract expires (because, let's face it, he's not gonna put up this kind of numbers consistently), now is the time for (re-entry) waivers.

#32 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,393 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:08 PM

neither is arnott on this team right now, in case you haven't been watching. he's clearly centering the devils' 3rd line.

You can't compare a 4th liner like Belanger, to Arnott who will be a #2 guy on most teams.

The lack of talent on this team has forced JL to spread the wealth, so I am not so concerned about his "third" line status. He is still 3rd in Goals and 4th in points on this team.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#33 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,113 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:11 PM

You can't compare a 4th liner like Belanger, to Arnott who will be a #2 guy on most teams.

The lack of talent on this team has forced JL to spread the wealth, so I am not so concerned about his "third" line status. He is still 3rd in Goals and 4th in points on this team.

Hey, Rip Van Winkle, have you been asleep all this month? Our team of talentless hacks looks like they're gelling.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

why do you insist on calling players who clearly don't play on a fourth line fourth liners? eric belanger averages 16:27 a game for his career, he has 126 goals and 320 points. that's not a fourth line player. that's a 3rd line player.

arnott is a 3rd line player at this point in his career, probably. i certainly don't want him getting 18 minutes a game if i'm a general manager.

#35 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,823 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:43 PM

Not trading him is loopy. With the team playing better, guys like Arnott have perhaps upped their trade value. The fire sale must go on. Let's get real.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#36 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:48 PM

I think Lou should definately trade him either before or at deadline. This team has to go 30-7 in the remaining games to make the playoffs. We dug ourselves too deep a hole.
Arnott could possibly bring a 2nd, or a really decent young prospect. Someone will want/need a big center like Arnott for a playoff run.(especially if injury happens to said team)

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#37 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,478 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

Since when did people start believing (N)Đ„verson? He bats almost as poorly as Ecklund, but now we're worried that the obvious trade of Arnott will never happen? Unless some team were to blow the Devils away with an offer for Arnott, the Devils will hold onto him until the deadline when his value should be at it's highest.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#38 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 06:45 PM

josefson or henrique would play there. henrique is tearing it up, relatively, for a first-year pro in the AHL. if they don't work out, slide zubrus in there. arnott really hasn't played that great since his hot start, and i don't like his (at times) lackadaisical play.

Hasn't Henrique played wing mostly in the minors?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#39 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,586 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:33 PM

Hasn't Henrique played wing mostly in the minors?

I'm not sure and I can't confirm anything, but I doubt it. There's not many centers down there.

#40 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,406 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:10 PM

waiting to trade dead line .. why ? because if we are closer than 8 point of a playoff spot we just have to keep it and try for the impossible!! If not trade him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users