#1 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,567 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 07:58 AM

http://www.nypost.co...5t79u5ouflOfqEK

Montreal is rumored to be interested, and Canadiens GM Pierre Gauthier and a Habs scout double-teamed the Devils' 5-2 triumph over the Panthers in Newark Sunday.

Gauthier would not confirm nor deny interest, but did note pointedly GMs should never lie to the press. Otherwise, the Caps are said to be interested, and even Nashville, which traded Arnott as captain to the Devils last summer, may be looking, regardless of any resentments from its front office.

Lamoriello seemed to signal the opening of his used player lot when he dealt Jamie Langenbrunner to Dallas Jan. 7. Perhaps that was a deck-clearing move, since Langenbrunner was asked to waive his no-trade clause just one week after Jacques Lemaire replaced John MacLean. Langenbrunner was asked the same question during training camp.

"I had no problem with [Langenbrunner]," Lemaire said. "That [trade] was the boss. I even told Lou that Jamie's attitude was much, much better than it was last year."
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:08 AM

I hope we keep Arnie around and bring him back next year....he still has some left in the tank, and I love my big centers!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#3 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 08:30 AM

"I had no problem with [Langenbrunner]," Lemaire said. "That [trade] was the boss. I even told Lou that Jamie's attitude was much, much better than it was last year."

In other words, he stopped pooping on the carpet but still occasionally chewed up Lemaire's slippers.

The GM said he and his team never threw in the towel on this season to concentrate on improving for next year and beyond.

"We would never have said that, ever, even the way we were playing," Lamoriello said. "Unless you play to the best of your abilities and do everything you can to win, you're not a professional."

In Lou We Trust.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#4 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

I don't really think that we can afford to not trade Arnott, with Kovalchuk costing the extra 1st and a 3rd.

#5 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:05 PM

I don't really think that we can afford to not trade Arnott, with Kovalchuk costing the extra 1st and a 3rd.

Unless we could get a first back for him...

I know it's wishful thinking, but hey, ya never know. Maybe a small bidding war will emerge for arnott.

Edit: and i misread your post. Essentially i agree with you.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 25 January 2011 - 12:08 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#6 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:24 PM

You're not getting a first for Arnott. The question is how high a second can you garner, and it's not going to be all that high because he'll go to a playoff contender.

I like trading him because we can always resign him in the offseason if we'd like.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#7 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:30 PM

yea i think we can talk him in to 'wink wink, go have your fun and come back for next season when we have a real captain and a real coach'

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#8 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:37 PM

You're not getting a first for Arnott. The question is how high a second can you garner, and it's not going to be all that high because he'll go to a playoff contender.

I like trading him because we can always resign him in the offseason if we'd like.

Don't trade him!

Edited by adam85491, 25 January 2011 - 12:38 PM.

#9 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

Not trading him is loopy. With the team playing better, guys like Arnott have perhaps upped their trade value. The fire sale must go on. Let's get real.

#10 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

Can't see how any trade talk could be silenced with this team, especially with a free-agent-to-be like Arnott. This is a nice little run, but the Devils have almost no margin for error...one three-game losing streak and whatever small chance they have of making the playoffs is toast. Even if they go, say, 21-9-4 or something like that the rest of the way, this team still doesn't even finish at .500. The good thing is that the deadline is still a ways off...we'll likely know by then if this 6-0-1 burst was nothing more than the highest peak in a season of valleys.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#11 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

We might be able to fetch a deal like Tkachuk did with St. Louis and Atlanta did in 06-07.
Tkachuk garnered a 1st, 2nd and 3rd along with Glen Metropolit. We might have to acquire negotiating rights after which would see us send a pick back to that team that gets Arnott.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#12 SteveStevens

SteveStevens

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,503 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

We might be able to fetch a deal like Tkachuk did with St. Louis and Atlanta did in 06-07.
Tkachuk garnered a 1st, 2nd and 3rd along with Glen Metropolit. We might have to acquire negotiating rights after which would see us send a pick back to that team that gets Arnott.

Tha chances of getting a 1, 2, and a 3rd for Arnott is insane, he won't get a 2nd and a 3rd, nor a 1st. The Tkachuk trade was more than a massive overpayment.

Arnott may be able to fetch a 2nd, he should anyway. I don't think prospects will be involved for any trade for him, if you are GMing this team you have to look for a 2nd.

#13 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,824 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Trade him. there's just about 14 games before the deadline, let him go asap.
Maybe re-sign him for next season, but get some asset back in return now.

Edited by BlueSkirt, 25 January 2011 - 12:55 PM.

#14 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:02 PM

If you do trade him, you trade him at the deadline when you can milk the most value out of him at the height of another team's desperation.

i think 2nd and low grade prospect is the best you can hope for. Maybe something like 2+4 or 2+5.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder

#15 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:03 PM

Can't see how any trade talk could be silenced with this team, especially with a free-agent-to-be like Arnott. This is a nice little run, but the Devils have almost no margin for error...one three-game losing streak and whatever small chance they have of making the playoffs is toast. Even if they go, say, 21-9-4 or something like that the rest of the way, this team still doesn't even finish at .500. The good thing is that the deadline is still a ways off...we'll likely know by then if this 6-0-1 burst was nothing more than the highest peak in a season of valleys.

my thoughts exactly. they need to cut the deficit between us and 8th at least in half before we consider keeping Arnott at the deadline. Love the effort he's put forth, and the entire team for that matter during this run, lets sustain it before we write off becoming sellers at the deadline.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

arnott's worth a 2nd at most, but he definitely has to go. i don't think he really fits in next season either.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#17 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

I think you'll get a couple of 2nd rounder offers, so someone will have to sweeten the pot to put it over the top.

Why not next year? Who's stepping into that center spot? Josefson will be on the team, but he's not really ready to anchor the position. Your boy Couturier?

#18 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:15 PM

Tha chances of getting a 1, 2, and a 3rd for Arnott is insane, he won't get a 2nd and a 3rd, nor a 1st. The Tkachuk trade was more than a massive overpayment.

Arnott may be able to fetch a 2nd, he should anyway. I don't think prospects will be involved for any trade for him, if you are GMing this team you have to look for a 2nd.

There will be plenty of teams on the bubble or at the 8th seed that will overpay.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#19 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

arnott's worth a 2nd at most, but he definitely has to go. i don't think he really fits in next season either.

Are there any GP limits for Josefson next year that would require a pay raise like there is this year?
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,420 posts

Posted 25 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

I think you'll get a couple of 2nd rounder offers, so someone will have to sweeten the pot to put it over the top.

Why not next year? Who's stepping into that center spot? Josefson will be on the team, but he's not really ready to anchor the position. Your boy Couturier?

there won't be that many offers, most teams can't fit arnott under the cap, and plus arnott has an NMC - that limits his value. also montreal's 2nd round pick this year went to florida for dominic moore last season.

josefson or henrique would play there. henrique is tearing it up, relatively, for a first-year pro in the AHL. if they don't work out, slide zubrus in there. arnott really hasn't played that great since his hot start, and i don't like his (at times) lackadaisical play.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users