#1 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:07 AM

http://www.northjers...reer_Devil.html

He's been a Devil his entire career – he is their all-time leader with 791 career points – and has no interest in jumping ship because of one bad season.

"We still have a good team here," Elias said. "Obviously, things have not gone well [this season], but this is my home. I grew up here hockey-wise and always was successful, so it doesn't mean that when things don't go right, you're just going to leave."

Elias, who will be making his third All-Star appearance, has a no-movement clause in the seven-year, $42 million contract he signed when he had a chance to leave as an unrestricted free agent in 2006. He said he has not been asked to consider waiving it and has no interest in doing so.

That Elias wants to be a career Devil is one of the many things Lamoriello admires about him.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:11 AM

Sounds good to me. He has been our strongest player this season. IMO he has been the Captain this season.

#3 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:53 AM

I listened to him on NHL Live a few days ago, seems to still be genuine with his desire to stay.

When they brought up the captaincy, he said something along the lines of "I tried that before, and while I wasn't happy with the way it was handled, it might be time for someone else to get a shot."

Either way, I too hope he stays part of the team for his career. Class act, impossible to hate, always plays with his heart, and even if he isn't producing he's still giving it 100% if not more.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#4 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:04 AM

Hes wanted to stay since Day 1. I would love to see him stay. Hes a classy, skilled player.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#5 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:19 AM

Always liked him, but not worth the money he's making right now. He has to understand that by the end of his contract, he is going to have to take a big pay cut for us to keep him and still have Kovy and the rest of our core.

#6 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:30 AM

Always liked him, but not worth the money he's making right now. He has to understand that by the end of his contract, he is going to have to take a big pay cut for us to keep him and still have Kovy and the rest of our core.

The more glaring thing is that he'll be 37 when its up. I don't think we have to worry about a major contract dispute in terms of numbers with him just because of this fact. He knows how things work.

#7 njdevs89

njdevs89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:34 AM

The more glaring thing is that he'll be 37 when its up. I don't think we have to worry about a major contract dispute in terms of numbers with him just because of this fact. He knows how things work.

Agreed, but it doesn't sit very well knowing he makes 6 mil a year, for a couple more years?

#8 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:54 AM

Agreed, but it doesn't sit very well knowing he makes 6 mil a year, for a couple more years?

What about the years he was worth more than he was making? The team isn't going to get the best of the deal every single year. Patty is part of the heart of this team

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#9 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 11:57 AM

big milestone coming up for him then? 800 points... good for Patty
Posted Image

#10 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:11 PM

I'd love to see him retire here and then see 26 go up in the rafters.

#11 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,331 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:34 PM

What about the years he was worth more than he was making? The team isn't going to get the best of the deal every single year. Patty is part of the heart of this team

Exactly what you said. Teams often have to overpay guys when they sign them since you're rewarding them for past success that was had at a bargain price. It's the nature of free agency. Elias may make a lot but he's been one of the few bright spots on the team this year and has been a great Devil. I look forward to 26 being in the rafters one day, and I even wouldn't mind him getting to be Captain again before his career ends.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#12 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:43 PM

big milestone coming up for him then? 800 points... good for Patty

He's also closing in on Johnny Mac's team record for most goals. What does he need, about 21 more?

JMac: 347
Elias: 327

(I think)

#13 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

patty is the man, hope he scores a hatrick on the march 18th game.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#14 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 01:06 PM

question. How much will his new contract be?
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#15 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

question. How much will his new contract be?

Well there's two seasons left on this one and I think those have a pretty big effect on what his next contract would be, if there is one at all.

This has been a good season for Elias. With Zach down he's really taken charge and shown he's still a great NHL player. While it's obviously unlikely he'll live up to the 6 mil salary for the next two seasons, I think we'll get good value for him and as others have said, that's the nature of UFA contracts, you can't win every year. The organization has gotten tons from Patrick.

#16 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

I think that mentality is exactly part of the reason they're in cap hell. The sentimental look what they did for us in the past has put them behind the eight ball.

When was the last time he was underpaid?

#17 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

I think that mentality is exactly part of the reason they're in cap hell. The sentimental look what they did for us in the past has put them behind the eight ball.

When was the last time he was underpaid?

Though I think there IS a difference in over-paying Patty at 6 million as opposed to overpaying Holik/Pandolfo at 2 million a year....least you're getting production fro Elias, while Holik and Pando's numbers are easily matched by a young cap-min. type player and a bigger waste of money.... (I won't even going into the foolish pre-payment on Clarkson's "potential" either)
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#18 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

if you're concerned about what Elias is making this year, I'm wondering what you think about the other gigantic contracts, of which, he's outperforming all of them.

#19 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 05:01 PM

I'd love to see him retire here and then see 26 go up in the rafters.

Certainly 26 to the rafters before 27

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#20 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 09:01 AM

Patrik is just a solid human being. him and his girl are good people, watched that special about their charity work with unicef.
He's talented and an intelligent player...after all he's the captain of the Czk national team!

it's been a great to see him play all these years... awesome, he will be a career devil!
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users