97 replies to this topic

#1 madams9

madams9

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:41 PM

I have always wondered if ice hockey fans know how to ice skate. Playing the other major sports is easy in that anybody can pick up a ball and try to throw, catch, kick, or hit it with very minimal costs. With ice hockey you need to learn to skate before even trying to play. I am guessing most fans can't skate but was curious what others thought.

I went to the VIP Gold Circle event and there were definetly more people on the concourse than on both rinks combined. Maybe that was because of autographs (turned out they signed on the ice anyway) but I thought it was much more fun skating and talking with the players than standing on line for an autograph.

#2 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:44 PM

I used to play ice hockey :)

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#3 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:51 PM

I used to play roller hockey from the time the school bus dropped us off until the Sun went down, but never could make the transition to ice.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#4 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:58 PM

DIG, i play mostly roller hockey as well, every now and then i play ice hockey but it takes me like 2 mins to get re-adjusted to ice as opposed to roller. But after that I am about 95% of what my capabilities are at with roller.

also, FWIW, it seems like most fans can't even shoot going by the Score-O during intermissions, its almost painful to watch sometimes.
Posted Image

#5 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:59 PM

I played roller hockey growing up, but never ice. Last week I played some pond hockey up in CT and was surprised that I didn't totally suck.

#6 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,125 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

I've been playing since I was 6, both ice and roller.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#7 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:05 PM

DIG, i play mostly roller hockey as well, every now and then i play ice hockey but it takes me like 2 mins to get re-adjusted to ice as opposed to roller. But after that I am about 95% of what my capabilities are at with roller.

More power to ya. I just couldn't get it. I think it was the difference between rolling with wheels over top of a surface to simply gliding over the top of it. It felt weird. Couldn't turn, couldn't stop. And it wasn't the skates because I even went out and got a decent pair of Tacks. The last time I tried ice skating I fell on top of a little girl and thought I killed her (she was OK) :lol: . Haven't tried since then.

But roller? I played in summer leagues for most of my middle school and high school years and did the indoor thing a couple times too. I still try to play whenever I can, but as you get older the free time just isn't there anymore. Could probably count on one hand the number of times I've played in the last three years. Sad.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#8 GA Devil

GA Devil

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

Put blades on my feet (roller or ice) and I'm totally useless.

Of course, my friends would say I'm useless without blades on my feet, as well.

:rimshot:

OK, extreeeeeeemely bad joke. :dizzy:
Let the celebration begin in the Daneyko household!!!!

#9 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Based on the fact that seemingly most people that get picked to do Score-o don't even know how to take the shot (it's more of a pass really) or even hold a hockey stick, I would say that most fans in this area don't actually play the sport, and probably either don't know how to skate, or they can skate enough to the point that they could go to a public skating session without falling down, but aren't a good enough skater to play hockey.

I played college roller hockey and currently play ice hockey in the house league at Protec Ponds in Somerset. I am much better at roller than ice, for some reason I am much slower on ice and I haven't been able to transfer my shot to ice that well yet. Probably because I started playing roller when I was 5 and didn't play ice until I was 16, and I took a break from ice for a few years as well. I still enjoy both sports very much though. I personally prefer roller simply because I'm better at it, but I think if you're just starting out, ice hockey is the more fun sport.

Unfortunately many fans don't bother trying to learn because as you said you must learn to skate before you can really play. I say anyone who doesn't take the time to learn is really missing out. It's tough at first but it's definitely worth it once you get the hang of it! If you think you're too old, there are adult clinics and learn to skate classes at a lot of rinks, call up and ask about them! :)

While we're on the topic, it bothers me to no end when fans who don't play the game criticize the players on the ice because they don't really know what goes on down there. This is evident in situations where a puck bounces over a point man's stick and exits the zone and everyone boos him, or the guys that yell "shoot" when there's people in the shooting lane, or the ones that yell "hit him" like it's just that easy.

Edited by devilsfan26, 31 January 2011 - 01:15 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#10 Scott O

Scott O

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

Grew up playing roller, but switched to ice after college once a rink finally opened. I'm 27 now and still play ice hockey. I spend about 3-5 hours a week on the ice.

#11 BCdevil

BCdevil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:20 PM

The reason why most Score-O contestants are horrible is that they are trying to play golf. They line the puck up directly to the side of them, as opposed to dragging in back, put their hands close together at the top of the stick, and slap at the puck rather than trying to stick handle. That usually results in the puck going toward the left corner for righties and vice versa.
Posted Image

#12 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

I play hockey...but I'm like Clarkson on skates. Hahah. Just kidding ;)

But yeah seriously, I've been playing hockey since I was...maybe 9 or 10 years old.

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#13 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:21 PM

Still want to learn to ice skate. Used to be decent on roller blades, but that was many, many moons ago.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#14 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:24 PM

Played ice hockey until sophomore year of highschool then havent played in a league since. I want to get back into a local league but I dont have the money for equipment right now.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#15 estreetcrew3

estreetcrew3

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:32 PM

I play ice once a week,I start to have withdraw if I don't play. I wish I had the skills to play at a pro level, cause I def have the passion and love for this game
Posted Image Section 209 at the Rock
Estreet crew Blog ------> http://estreetskate.blogspot.com/

#16 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:35 PM

Skated and played since I was 5, I have the knee's to prove it.... lol

#17 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:48 PM

The reason why most Score-O contestants are horrible is that they are trying to play golf. They line the puck up directly to the side of them, as opposed to dragging in back, put their hands close together at the top of the stick, and slap at the puck rather than trying to stick handle. That usually results in the puck going toward the left corner for righties and vice versa.

Yep, makes me angry to see that when I sign up every game I go to and never get picked. :P

I play ice once a week,I start to have withdraw if I don't play. I wish I had the skills to play at a pro level, cause I def have the passion and love for this game

Sadly too often it happens that the people that have the skill get burned out and lose interest. One of my friends played high school hockey and he said one of the kids on his team was so good he could have walked into the NHL after high school, but he just stopped playing instead. The goalie of that team played for UMass and has played against 15-20 guys that are currently in the NHL and he says the kid from that high school team is better than all of them. I never saw the kid so I don't know how much is being exaggerated, but still sad for someone with such great skill to just give up on the game.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#18 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

also, FWIW, it seems like most fans can't even shoot going by the Score-O during intermissions, its almost painful to watch sometimes.

Mac! Mac! Mac! Mac!

This is a fun topic

I always wanted to play hockey when i was a kid but there wasn't a rink in town, and I was pretty small so my overbearing mother discouraged contact sports. Plus the expense.

I was a freshman at college last year and took skating as part of PE, and loved it, so I started going to free skate every other day, and signed up for my residence hall's hockey team. Blew a sh!tload of money on equipment (which i now kinda wish I had to fix my car haha), and we started a week ago. It's pretty harrowing but everyone's nice and it's so much fun.

Sometimes I feel like the Score O contestants don't even watch hockey, the way they swing the stick like a golf club.
Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#19 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:17 PM

I played for Cranford Midget B circa 1990-1992 at Warinanco Park. For those who have never been there it only has 3 walls (1 open) so you can only skete there for a few months out of the year. Never had a chance to get very good on the ice because I started so late in life. I did play a lot of roller hockey before that so I was a lot better on roller blades than ice skates.

I've lived in Florida for the past 10 years or so where hockey is almost non existent. I do still have my pads and skates though and have been thinking about hopping into some late night rec leagues just for fun (I'm 36 now).

Edited by Jerzey Devil, 31 January 2011 - 02:21 PM.

#20 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Never picked up ice hockey, couldn't afford the $800 a season price tag + equipment. I've gone ice skating a few times though and played street hockey for years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users