97 replies to this topic

#21 madams9

madams9

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:43 PM

Fair shake both sides. It definetly isn't cheap. My son is just starting out in a rec league. He now wants to play travel....ouch$$$$$.

My skates are killing my feet and actually always have. I might need to break down for a new pair.

While we're on the topic, it bothers me to no end when fans who don't play the game criticize the players on the ice because they don't really know what goes on down there. This is evident in situations where a puck bounces over a point man's stick and exits the zone and everyone boos him, or the guys that yell "shoot" when there's people in the shooting lane, or the ones that yell "hit him" like it's just that easy.

I couldn't agree more. I can stand when people yell "shoot". Don't you think they would shoot if they had the opening??? Drives me nuts.

#22 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,391 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:50 PM

Fair shake both sides. It definetly isn't cheap. My son is just starting out in a rec league. He now wants to play travel....ouch$$$$$.

My skates are killing my feet and actually always have. I might need to break down for a new pair.

I couldn't agree more. I can stand when people yell "shoot". Don't you think they would shoot if they had the opening??? Drives me nuts.

I used to play college hockey. A few years back I decided to play again at Chelsea Piers on their Friday night pick-up leagues and spent close to $2,500 on new equipment including skates.
Worth the investment.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#23 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I wish my parents had gotten me into hockey when I was younger, but unfortunately my town doesn't have a hockey rink, let alone a rec program. I didn't even become a bonafide hockey fan until I was a teenager, and really couldn't afford to get into it. Until I have a regular income (now in college) I simply can't afford to get into hockey for real yet. I'm looking forward to when I can.

For the record, I can skate marginally, but I can't skate backwards or hockey stop, so take that for what it's worth.

#24 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Played a bit of roller, hard time making the transition to ice but I got it down. 6 or 7 years later Im in college and we only have a roller hockey team, I cant seem to make the transition back to roller blades. Its so much harder to fall on ice then pavement :P

815631765.gif

#25 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Haha so true, these guys are the best at what they do. There's a reason they are getting paid millions to play and we pay to watch.

Played a bit of roller, hard time making the transition to ice but I got it down. 6 or 7 years later Im in college and we only have a roller hockey team, I cant seem to make the transition back to roller blades. Its so much harder to fall on ice then pavement :P

What school if you don't mind me asking?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#26 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:10 PM

played last night at floyd arena...been playing roller and ice since i was about 14...stopped while in college...currently 28

believe their can be a sutle difference for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has

played last night at floyd arena...been playing roller and ice since i was about 14...stopped while in college...currently 28

believe their can be a sutle differences for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has

believe their can be a sutle difference for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#27 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:12 PM

believe their can be a sutle differences for a guy watching who has played and who one who never has
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#28 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,784 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Did you play last night at floyd arena?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#29 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:15 PM

This turned into a fun little topic!

Me, I've been playing street hockey since I was about 10, always goalie. Since I really didn't have ice hockey in high school or college, I never made the jump but I always kept up in dek leauges and pick up games. Recently, however, I finally took lessons to learn how to skate for goalie. Started with the generic group learning sessions at the Ice House and then moved on to private lessons with a goalie coach at Chelsea Piers, my thinking being that I might as well learn goalie skating as it's entirely different than regular skating. Not a bad move, but I quickly realized that I needed to get great on skates before even attempting the goalie position, so after three months or so, I stopped the lessons. So, I suppose the end result is I can skate pretty well but not well enough to play goal...yet.

As for dek hockey, I currently play in a very organized dek leauge in NYC called BTSH. They have twenty teams, four divsions, playoffs, standings, a whole "media" who does team previews, game previews, etc...pretty legit! They play during the summer at Tompkins Square Park down in the East Village. If you ever find yourself in NYC during the summer and swing by Tompkins on Sunday between 1 and 5, you'll see us there playing. It's not pickup and you need to be on a team to play, but it's damn good fun. Plus, the focus is really more on the after game drinking than the game itself, so it's a great environment.

Back on task, I feel that hockey, more than any other sport, requires you play it to get it. Especially in Jersey, where you have so many other things competing for your attention, I think a fair amount of hockey fans have played the sport at least a pick up level, even if they've never skated. Being so far out of our national exposure, hockey is one of those things you have to experience to get, either by playing or being introduced to it.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#30 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:33 PM

I used to be able to <_< I figured skated a little and skated all my life, pond hockey only amd pick up roller hockey at Rutgers. But now... I'm not so sure. I fell on my ass saturday before last, skating on Pines Lake with my nephew and daughter. I can bearly control a puck -- it is to laugh! I was bad before but now. and I had no idea how much we use our buttcheek muscles -- I hit right on my coccyx. Your ass doesn't hurt sitting and stuff -- just moving! Heavy lifting (stacking wood again last week) walking up five flights of stairs can be a bitch. I'm of course infuriated by the whole thing - and being so old.

But I LOVE to skate.

my deep dark puck bunny confession.... I'm sure some may have suspected.....

just today even on the ride home from work....

Me.

Pair skating with...

yes... Ohhhhh yes you know it

Claude Lemieux. :saddevil:

I'm a sick woman.

I'm here for the party

#31 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:39 PM

I used to seriously turn up my nose at street hockey. I admit to some snobbish tendencies. :urg:

I'm here for the party

#32 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:46 PM

my deep dark puck bunny confession.... I'm sure some may have suspected.....

just today even on the ride home from work....

Me.

Pair skating with...

yes... Ohhhhh yes you know it

Claude Lemieux. :saddevil:

I'm a sick woman.

Either you're subconscious is that of a puck bunny harlot, cheating on Stevens with a man not afraid to go to the box for high-sticking ( :uni: ) or this is just a ploy to get Stevens' lawyers to ease up on the restraining order they're undoubtedly working on. Can't decide which one. Mainly, I just like using the word "harlot". And "jezebel". You puck bunny jezebel!
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#33 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:48 PM

I wrote BEARly -- duh?

Posted Image

how can anyone hurt such a cutie pie? It's like shooting a dog!!! Someone tried to give us a bear skin but when I asked if they could remove the head he flipped on me and took back his offer! :lol: but I'd be all sad and stuff fuzzy sweet bear face.

I'm here for the party

#34 chrisg19

chrisg19

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:50 PM

I play at least once a week, and Ref as well. Have played both Roller, and Ice, but haven't been on inline skates in years.
"It wasn't Mike Eruzione shouting his own name that finally convinced coach Brooks to stop making the players do sprints. It was Mark Johnson, who smashed his stick against the glass in a fit of rage." Movie Mistakes and Bloopers

My Devils Photos

Work

#35 Devs1965

Devs1965

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

I used to play college hockey. A few years back I decided to play again at Chelsea Piers on their Friday night pick-up leagues and spent close to $2,500 on new equipment including skates.
Worth the investment.

Played there several times many years back, great rink and in NYC, If I remember correctly it was Friday nights also back then for pick up.
Also played pick up in the Cement Box called Fritz Dietl's in Westwood, one big box half the size of a reg rink with cement walls and 2 swinging doors to get out on the ice, we use to have a blast there.. Then there was also Sport O Rama in Monsey NY did my league playing there.
I still skate but way to many knee surgery's to give it my all, it Hurts to get Old!!! lol

Edited by Devs1965, 31 January 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#36 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:00 PM

Been ice skating since I was like 4, on a pond that is. So yea, pond hockey since I was super young. Mainly roller hockey in the HS/College (Rutgers Cook Rink!) years and now that I have a job I joined a Beer League for ice hockey in MI. Damn there's a lot of talent in MI.

Ice Hockey > Roller Hockey imho.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#37 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

Worth the investment.

What the fvck did you buy for that much? Are you a goalie?

For anyone that is just doing pick-up games/league this should be your friend: http://www.hockeymon.../clearance.html

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#38 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,866 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:03 PM

I wish my parents had gotten me into hockey when I was younger, but unfortunately my town doesn't have a hockey rink, let alone a rec program. I didn't even become a bonafide hockey fan until I was a teenager, and really couldn't afford to get into it. Until I have a regular income (now in college) I simply can't afford to get into hockey for real yet. I'm looking forward to when I can.

For the record, I can skate marginally, but I can't skate backwards or hockey stop, so take that for what it's worth.

This pretty much sums up my situation word-for-word...scary, haha

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#39 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 04:06 PM

I LOVE jezebel! I HATE round healed. That was my grandmothers.

I'm here for the party

#40 nycking23

nycking23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:09 PM

my parents could never afford the price of youth hockey, so i never played when i was younger. now im 23 with my own income and i want to learn it badly. i have purchased a full set of equipment and skate when i can, but i only just graduated college so i haven't had the time to really do it, seeing as how i went to school during the day and work 7 days a week. hopefully i can land a "real" job soon and have a little time to pick it up. i really wish there was late night skating, its the only time im free but all the rinks are closed, understandably, but still

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users