97 replies to this topic

#41 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

What school if you don't mind me asking?

Pennsylvania College of Technology, picked to learn computer networking here instead of NJIT.

815631765.gif

#42 Devs3cups

Devs3cups

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:37 PM

I play ice hockey.

n2eg.jpg 

"BELIEVE in our team. We've had difficult momments as a fanbase, but we will get out of it"

#43 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:39 PM

I'm a hockey player. Defense. Lots of backward skating.
Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#44 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

Played at Willie P eons ago, when it was still a college and not a U. (We are impressive these days!)

Played roller up into my thirties. Been a long time since I played any organized hockey.

I miss pickup games more than anything though. Don't know if my knees could hold up either way.

24/7 made me miss it all alot! Love the locker room.

Edited by John Wensink, 31 January 2011 - 05:50 PM.

"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#45 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

Roller all my life, ice since high school and haven't stopped playing either.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#46 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:25 PM

Grew-up in Monmouth County pre-rink building boom. Learned how to skate living in New England and I now play recreation hockey in a "1-800-ISUCK" League in the DC area. Problem with the DC area is the leagues are full of transient high school hero types from the Northeast and Great Lakes trying to relive their JV hockey moments at BC High, Fairfield Prep, and Eden Prarrie.

#47 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,198 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

In a few weeks i will be going to Germany to play a tournament with my team.

Can't wait!!

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#48 NJD_3_Cups

NJD_3_Cups

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Have played ice hockey since I was 10 and still play in the beer leagues.
Let the fire in your eyes light the way...

#49 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:01 PM

In a few weeks i will be going to Germany to play a tournament with my team.

Can't wait!!

Wow thats awesome! Good luck! Keep us all posted on how you do.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#50 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:46 PM

I'm a hockey player. Defense. Lots of backward skating.

That's how I fell on my ass :rant: I'd rather skate backward than forward. The ice SUCKED.... what's with these kids not smoothing it all out -shoveling off too late after the snow has pitted the ice surface. Kids <_<

I can't run on the ice. STILL -- 10 years ago I remember bitching to you all about it. I need to skate more. I hate sucking :(

AWESOME Chi! Did you bulk up enough :P

mdsieve - New England rocks for pond hockey. Not like St Paul where I had my sisters double runners, but close!! My high school kicked Fairfield's ass in last years states :P I might make the trip up this year to see if they can threepeat!!

Edited by Pepperkorn, 31 January 2011 - 07:46 PM.

I'm here for the party

#51 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:52 PM

so since a majority of us played/still play, anyone in Bergan County (NJ)/Rockland County (NY) area?

i'm looking to play but havent much since i moved back from buffalo

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#52 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,017 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:59 PM

Played hockey for years, so skating is pretty much just like walking for me. Second nature.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#53 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:15 PM

Can't believe how many play or played roller hockey! Never was exposed to much of it in Northern NJ. It was street and ice in the late 70s. trying to get my kid to skate and play some goalie now. I'm a decent skater and stick handler for an old guy, except for my left outside edge. can't quite get a good one foot hockey stop on it! but yet I can power off of it doing crossovers. btw, falling gets harder as the age gets up there.

it's a great game!!! playing pond hockey with my 9 year old is a dream come true!

also, anyone who doesn't skate or play can't possibly realize just how good these NHL players are! simply amazing what they can make look automatic

Edited by EdgeControl, 31 January 2011 - 10:20 PM.

#54 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:28 PM

also, anyone who doesn't skate or play can't possibly realize just how good these NHL players are! simply amazing what they can make look automatic

Very true, especially if you ever have the chance to sit in the first few rows. It's unbelievable how fast they do things.

As for pond hockey, I just played for the first time in my life on Monday. It's a shame it took me 23 years but I can't wait to get back out there. My parents had me convinced that it doesn't get cold enough around here, but then a year or two ago one of my Rutgers roller hockey teammates from South Jersey said he had a frozen pond behind his house. I figured if it was cold enough by his house it has to be cold enough around here (Central Jersey) so I figured my parents were just afraid of me falling through the ice. Bummer.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#55 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

Well hockey didn't catch on here until the mid 90s. I started playing in 96 (I was 25). I've played for my colleges first roller team ( they've moved to an ice team since then). I still play in adult league all year. In this past off season I tried ice but I'm not really getting the hang of it. It sounds crazy to those who play ice, but I feel more on top of the ice than I should. I feel more planted on roller. I started off playing mostly D but the past couple years I've moved up to forward. I think it's not so much as I've become faster as it is the other guys slowing down more than me.

Of all the sports I've played none compares to hockey. And I'm fortunate to be able to play it, even at my minimal skill level. Makes me really appreciate what the pros can do.
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#56 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:25 PM

we had ponds on both sides of my house growing up, so every winter i would go ice fishing on one and skated on the other. when i lived in chicago, pond hockey/frozen tennis courts were everywhere you went out in the suburbs. was fantastic.

i can't really do much. i have the knees of pavel bure so i can't turn or skate backwards. i still like to fvck around though. wish my knees weren't so bad so i could actually play again. :(

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#57 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:32 PM

i played in college at seton hall (club team) and on a men's league for the 10 years since, tore my ACL playing last year, been rehabbing so I can lace 'em up again for 6 months.. can't wait to play again.

#58 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:39 PM

I've been playing ice hockey since I was 5 or 6. However, around age 14 or 15, I basically suffered a serious injury in August or September of every year that kept me out for a while; hip problems related to tightness, a bunch of groin muscle tears, a hammy tear or two, despite a lot of stretching to try and avoid this. After lots of rehab I may have finally fixed those problems, but now I'm out for at least the next 3 months working to rehab a sports hernia that may require surgery. So basically I've tried to play quite often, but injuries have really prevented me from getting to any higher level of hockey. Fingers crossed that I can finally get back to playing the game I love, even if it is a late night men's league.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#59 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 11:45 PM

I've been playing roller at a high level since I was 8, made the transistion over to ice a few years ago. Would've have been much earlier but when i was little I fell at an ice open skate (swear someone pushed me from behind) and bashed my face up so my parents threw out that idea pretty quick. I'd say I'm pretty fluid in both - every once in a while I have trouble stopping on ice bringing up bad roller hockey habits of rounding out stops.

#60 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:35 AM

I've been ice skating since I could walk just never played hockey. I grew up in Jersey City and we had one skating rink, Pershing Field, and it was expensive to learn. I roller blade now and ice skate both very well. My HS won the States in 2000, Hudson Catholic. In fact our jersey hangs on the concourse near the Goal Bar. I can shoot a puck and skate with a stick and shoot on the move. I gotta work on my defense.

I mostly grew up playing organized baseball all my life and is my favorite sport of all with hockey being number 2. Basketball I also played heavily in the YMCA, leagues, and Intramural in college. I play both sports at a high level and I'd love to get that good at hockey.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users