Photo

The Devils Minority partners are looking to sell their share.

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#21 cgosha21

cgosha21

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

Here is the true link from Bloomberg....

http://www.bloomberg...r-nhl-team.html

#22 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

does this just about screw us over in getting parise locked in? that's my major concern. we're not going anywhere...but this could be a huge mess all around. what a year to forget.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#23 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

The woman who broke the news on Twitter is a Bloomberg reporter.

http://www.bloomberg...michele_steele/

EHH....more legit than 1st thought. Not really shocking though.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#24 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:42 PM

*yawn* the team's not moving no matter who he sells it too

#25 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

does this just about screw us over in getting parise locked in? that's my major concern. we're not going anywhere...but this could be a huge mess all around. what a year to forget.

It doesnt completely screw us out of Parise, but its going to make it INCREDIBLY harder to lock him up, not that it was an easy thing to begin with.

#26 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

edit

Edited by justdo3043, 01 February 2011 - 01:45 PM.

"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#27 John Wensink

John Wensink

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

Watch the league bend over for that Bassille (sp) guy now. Wouldn't be shocking if all of a sudden the NHL is into moving another team (when it's the Devs) to Canada.
"I feel privileged to have played on three Stanley Cup teams and finally help the New Jersey Devils get the respect they deserve." Scott Stevens

"I knew in my heart that one day we would turn it around and we'd do something special here," Ken Daneyko

"I hate the Rangers, and Lou hates them to death."- Martin Brodeur, "Beyond the Crease", page 261

#28 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

edit

Edited by justdo3043, 01 February 2011 - 01:49 PM.

"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

No one's moving the Devils. The price is going to be way too high to want to move them, especially to a backwater like Winnipeg.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#30 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

And my conspiracy theory inches closer to becoming true.

My conspiracy theory is that Bettman is going to use the Devils as a sacrificial lamb to Quebec City, Winnipeg, or Hamilton in order to save his precious southern market teams, by the way.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#31 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

*yawn* the team's not moving no matter who he sells it too

The team may not be moving, but there are plenty of other implications that make this worth following:

- Does this instability decrease the likelihood that Parise signs long-term in this, his RFA, offseason?
- Will this impact Lou's role within the organization?
- Will the new ownership be as unafraid to spend up to the cap ceiling as Vanderbeek was?
- Will the new, grassroots marketing go out the door with Vanderbeek?

The list could go on.

It's a shame too because, as Tri mentioned, Vanderbeek really was a good embassador to the fans. The former-season ticket holder turned team owner, built us the arena we always wanted with public transportation options in a downtown setting, held town hall meetings with fans to hear first-hand how we felt ... I'll be sad to see him go.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#32 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:50 PM

..que the Donald Trump rumors. :whistling:

Posted Image

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#33 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

I don't know why anyone would freak out, part of the value of the team is the ownership stake of the building. Heck if the city were smart it would try to recoup some of it's investment when a partial or full sale (although I have to think it would be just a majority stake and Vanderbeek keeps some level of ownership). The ideal scenario is that someone with mega dollars (ie, a bloomberg, Woody ect) buys the team with enough money to pursue purchasing a NBA team long term.

#34 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

No Vanderbeek seemed committed to the team especially after signing Kovy.

Didn't take long for buyers remorse to set in. The prospect of paying the guy over 11M for 5 of the next 6 seasons wore off quickly.

Edited by titans04, 01 February 2011 - 02:16 PM.

#35 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,321 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:57 PM

The team may not be moving, but there are plenty of other implications that make this worth following:

- Does this instability decrease the likelihood that Parise signs long-term in this, his RFA, offseason?
- Will the new ownership be as unafraid to spend up to the cap ceiling as Vanderbeek was?
- Will the new, grassroots marketing go out the door with Vanderbeek?

The list could go on.

It's a shame too because, as Tri mentioned, Vanderbeek really was a good embassador to the fans. The former-season ticket holder turned team owner, built us the arena we always wanted with public transportation options in a downtown setting, held town hall meetings with fans to hear first-hand how we felt ... I'll be sad to see him go.

-I don't think this alter's Parise decision at all, (with his new agent it's still 50/50 that he stays).
-Hopefully, the new owner is a hockey guy who will just leave Lou alone so we can get back to winning hockey games.
-If he is a hockey guy, we probably go back to pulling back from the cap.
-I think the marketing has to stay, its been the lone bright spot in the JVB era.

I agree he was a great ambassador for the team and his marketing efforts had the fanbase going in the right direction.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#36 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,471 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

I'm just shocked TG didn't break this. :burn:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#37 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

Absolutely decreases it on the surface. This is the most glaring thing out of this in the immediate. Put yourself in his shoes. It depends on how quickly VBK finds a buyer and is approved by the NHL. We've seen what has happened with places like Phoenix. It could be brutal, but it could also be a smooth transition.

- Will the new, grassroots marketing go out the door with Vanderbeek?.

These three all depend on who buys the team. If an owner comes in and wants to do things his way, he could clean house of the front office completely. VBK came in as a fan and knew what Lou brought to the table.

As far as the other three, I'm sure they're all rhetorical, but theres no answer to these until new ownership is in place. There could positive answers to all of them. The marketing could go through the roof with new ownership. Everything could potentially change for the worse and in the immediate, its not good simply because of Parise. I wouldnt bet on him being here two years from now, but then again, if we get a great owner, who knows?

Lots of questions nonetheless.

#38 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,780 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

Great; another summer filled with rumors.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#39 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:03 PM

Great; another summer filled with rumors.

Why wait til the summer?

Hey, anybody think a couple brothers named Steinbrenner might be interested? :evil:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#40 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 02:04 PM

Devils are for sale...can we get Parise out of NJ? He'd look good in Flames RED! Next Franchise player

vultures are flying....terrible...as a devil fan i am freaked

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users