#1 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Martin Brodeur: Devils may miss playoffs, but Rangers missed for seven years

However, goalie Martin Brodeur pointed out that the Devils have had more recent success.
"We don't like not making the playoffs," Brodeur said today. "It hasn't happened a lot, but (the Rangers) have been through seven years in a row not making the playoffs
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#2 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:01 PM

Its funny and its also true.

I think the more important, and what hit me more, from this article is the following:

"I don't really care," Patrik Elias said. "It doesn't matter. Tomorrow's game is more about us. I don't even know where they are in the standings. The right approach is to go out there and it doesn't matter who we play against. We know we're not going to win them all. We'll try."

Colin White agreed.

"I think we're more focused on what we have to do each game. We're just trying to get as many points as we can," White said. "We're not really looking at any particular team. We're focused on ourselves right now.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#3 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,066 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 06:30 PM

That seven-year drought was a while ago. Not really relevant anymore. This franchise has had its share of missing the playoffs since its inception in 1974 as the Kansas City Scouts...they made it once (as the Colorado Rockies) in 1978, and wouldn't make it again until 1988. Most franchises have down periods...I hate the Rangers, couldn't possibly hate them more, but hanging on to that whole seven-year thing just seems pointless to me. Especially when we've got plenty of our own problems to worry about.

As some players alluded to, the "rivalry" is in a different place...all I worry about now is the Devils trying to beat whoever's playing them. They're going to have to do a whole lot of that.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#4 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 07:55 PM

... i mean the rangers live on 1994 so why not have them be reminded of their seven year failure.
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#5 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Makes me vomit! Have they retired every players number yet from that year? 1 Cup in 71 years and they act like they're the sh!t cause there from New York and play in the Garden.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#6 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:49 PM

Is it me or am I missing something....I don't think Marty is taking a jab at the Rangers, just merely acknowledging the fact that the shoe is now on the other foot and they are now the team on the rise. Alto of Rangers fans on HF Board are ripping into Marty. :noclue:

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#7 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

At least Marty is maintaining a sense of humor!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#8 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

I think the only reason Marty mentioned the Rangers is because that was the context: we're about to play them and the writer directly asked Marty and other Devils players if the fact that the Rangers are in and the Devils are out bothers them. No huge jab there, people just take it out of the context and make it look like Brodeur makes a rags reference for no reason. :rolleyes:

That being said, this is a great rivalry and I LOVE it when Devils players get involved someway. Marty is one of the guys who really understand this rivalry: no wonder, he's been in it from day 1 (when your rookie season was 1994, the animosity towards that team must run deep).

#9 overtime98

overtime98

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,139 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:17 AM

if this is for rangers fans, shouldnt it be posted in a rangers forum? LOL
New Jersey Devils 3 time Stanley Cup Champions 1995 - 2000 - 2003!

Posted Image

#10 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

If I ever see Matteau on a street, I may just beat him down....

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users