1217 replies to this topic

#21 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 02:14 PM

I'm one of the negative nellies who don't want them to make the playoffs. They aren't going to win the cup, so what's the rush?...Economy is still tough too and I don't want to pay for playoff ticets when they'd have no shot to advance.

IMO if they make the playoffs and get Parise back, they have the horses to make a run. I can see not wanting them to fvck up their draft pick by sprinting to the 10 seed, though.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#22 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

OK after a disappointing finish to last night, we need to keep the faith. They still earned a point, and are still 8 - 1 - 2 in their last 11 games. It is not something new to figure out that the Devils will still need a lot of help to have any shot at something special happening... That being said this thread was created for that purpose. To look at who we need to root for on a daily basis. Today is tough there are a few tough ones to pick but here are my thoughts anyway...

Rags at Montreal my thoughts are we want Montreal. They are ahead of the Rags, and have played 2 fewer games. Go Habs!
Leafs at Buffalo this is alot to ask but obviously we want the Leafs to win. If the Leafs pull this one out after the Sabres lost last night, thank the Hockey Gods...
Sens at the Isles another tough one but neither of these teams scare me so we want the Isles, because the Sens have 42 and even though with an Isles win they will move a point ahead of the Devils, With a Devils win tomorrow they can jump them back and move into a tie with the Sens. So go Isles!!

Last we have Atlanta at the Canes another TOUGH one but I think most will agree the Canes are more of a problem than the Thrashers, so we need the Thrashers to pull the upset here...

Keep the Faith and we will have an update tomorrow...

P.S. we have a few important days coming up with the Devils having a few big games as well as teams like the Rags and Ottawa facing tough games so Devils need to make the most of these opportunities...

Well overall not too bad, the Isles win, Canadiens win, Atlanta going to OT against the Canes wasnt a bad thing, and Toronto wasnt able to do much against the Sabres.

that being said with a win tomorrow the Devils move past both the ISles and tie the Sens but have more wins. Will update tomorrow....

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:23 AM

Well overall not too bad, the Isles win, Canadiens win, Atlanta going to OT against the Canes wasnt a bad thing, and Toronto wasnt able to do much against the Sabres.

How is that not a bad thing, they both get points? You need two point games wherever possible when East teams play each other, especially when you're talking about the 8 and 9 both getting points.

And if we lose to Montreal this thread either gets locked or forgotten about by Tuesday.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:46 AM

How is that not a bad thing, they both get points? You need two point games wherever possible when East teams play each other, especially when you're talking about the 8 and 9 both getting points.

And if we lose to Montreal this thread either gets locked or forgotten about by Tuesday.

yeah and if we beat Montreal and the Canes on Tuesday this thread grows in interest!!

Try to stay positive...

#25 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:10 PM

I'm really starting to believe people. If we can beat the Canes Tuesday I'm gonna start keg standing the Kool-Aid!!

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#26 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

I'm really starting to believe people. If we can beat the Canes Tuesday I'm gonna start keg standing the Kool-Aid!!

LET'S GO DEVILS!!!

+1

I will funnel the Kool Aid every day from here on out

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#27 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

+1

I will funnel the Kool Aid every day from here on out

Like I said time to keep building momentum. I am keeping this thread going...

#28 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,076 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

Well at least the thread hasn't been a jinx although the other part of the equation we saw today with Marty leaving, we not only have to play near-perfect but we have to have near-perfect luck injury-wise.

But yeah this could start getting interesting if we get to 14 back after Tuesday.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#29 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

It is starting to get pretty interesting. Even if the playoffs are still a long shot, at least they are playing entertaining hockey again.
Posted Image Posted Image

#30 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 03:01 AM

Three games vs. Carolina huge if Devils hope to make playoffs
Published: Sunday, February 06, 2011, 6:19 PM Updated: Monday, February 07, 2011, 2:27 AM
By Rich Chere/The Star-Ledger

MONTREAL — The severity of Martin Brodeur's right knee injury may have something to say about whether the Devils can pull off their miracle comeback.

But after their run reached 9-1-2 with Sunday's 4-1 triumph over the Canadiens, they still weren't thinking playoffs.

"It's still one game at a time," Ilya Kovalchuk said after scoring two goals. "We'll see what happens in the next 15 games. If we keep playing like that, you never know."

The Devils moved one point ahead of the idle Islanders and tied the 13th place Ottawa Senators.

They are 16 points behind the eighth-place Carolina Hurricanes for the final Eastern Conference playoff spot.

"In the next 10 days we have three games against them," Kovalchuk pointed out. "That will probably be the key for us if we want to make a push."

Travis Zajac didn't want to think about it.

"We're still not looking at it," he said. "We have a long way to go."

But people are starting to believe it is possible. Who would've guessed?

"I think this is what I've seen of the Devils over the years," said goalie Johan Hedberg, who played the final two periods today in Montreal. "I think we're playing tremendous hockey. We're going out there feeling we can win every game."

Who can doubt them?

Rich Chere: rchere@starledger.com

http://www.nj.com/de...ina_huge_i.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kool-Aid is getting passed around the locker room and thats a fantastic idea!! Keep fighting boys we believe!!

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673, 07 February 2011 - 03:02 AM.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#31 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:33 AM

Well at least the thread hasn't been a jinx although the other part of the equation we saw today with Marty leaving, we not only have to play near-perfect but we have to have near-perfect luck injury-wise.

But yeah this could start getting interesting if we get to 14 back after Tuesday.

Thats all I am saying, I know it is improbable as the thread description states, but if they win on Tuesday it is 14 with a game in hand. They need to finish off like 23-5-1 to get to 89 points for at least a chance. That is not impossible, but again lets just keep the momentum going. I am having fun watching this team right now!

#32 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:43 AM

Thats all I am saying, I know it is improbable as the thread description states, but if they win on Tuesday it is 14 with a game in hand. They need to finish off like 23-5-1 to get to 89 points for at least a chance. That is not impossible, but again lets just keep the momentum going. I am having fun watching this team right now!

They are skating like its playoff hockey! can this intensity be kept up for 20-25 games? We'd need a fifth line to pull this off! Its not like the pucks are jumping into the net, its ALL EFFORT on their part. tremendous , but I'm exhaused just watching them!

#33 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

TEAM || On Pace
NYR || 92
CAR || 90
ATL || 86
BUF || 85
FLA || 82
NJD || 65

Required for Playoffs (currently): 90
NJD Current record: 19-30-4
Games Remaining: 29
Required record: 24-5
Required Winning Percentage: 82.75%

#34 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:13 AM

8 - Atlanta - 54 GP - 57 Points
9 - Carolina - 52 GP - 56 Points
10 - Buffalo - 49 GP - 51 Points
11 - Florida - 51 GP - 50 Points
12 - Toronto - 51 GP - 47 Points
13 - Ottawa - 52 GP - 42 Points
14 - New Jersey - 51 GP - 39 Points

Update:

8 - Carolina - 53 GP - 58 Points
9 - Atlanta - 55 GP - 58 Points
10 - Buffalo - 51 GP - 53 Points
11 - Florida - 52 GP - 52 Points
12 - Toronto - 52 GP - 47 Points
13 - New Jersey - 53 GP - 42 Points
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,515 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:16 AM

If the Devils win the next 5 games, and all of them v. Carolina in regulation, I will entertain the possibility of them making the playoffs. That would likely knock the pace down to around 87 points, and the Devils would be 24-30-4 - they'd need to go 17-5-1 to make it to 87 points. Still, it's an enormous, enormous longshot.

Edited by Triumph, 07 February 2011 - 10:23 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:57 AM

Not to mention they'll have played play-off intensity hockey for 2.5 months to get there...they'll be gassed.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#37 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

Not to mention they'll have played play-off intensity hockey for 2.5 months to get there...they'll be gassed.

Let them get in the playoffs first. I'll worry about them being gassed then.

#38 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

Almost forgot today's installment. In keeping up with the fact that we know we will need a bit of assistance, tonight there are 3 games of importance to the Devils.

Atlanta at Toronto and Rags at Detroit and Ottawa at Vancouver.

The Atlanta Toronto one is tough, but knowing we want to see more of a bunch up of the teams in front of the Devils we need Toronto to win this one. SO root for the Leafs.

Next is a given we want Detroit to stomp the Rags...

Last we want to keep Ottawa down and root for Vancouver to take care of business at home tonight.

If these happen then tomorrows game with the Canes becomes even more exciting... just more pieces to the jigsaw puzzle that is the Devils playoff hopes...

#39 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

simply put, i would say the devils have a tragic number of 4 - meaning after 4 more losses on the season, you can just forget about it.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#40 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

simply put, i would say the devils have a tragic number of 4 - meaning after 4 more losses on the season, you can just forget about it.

Are we including OT losses in this, or are we just saying that if we lose 8 total points we're done?
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users