Raising No. 27

DaneykoIsGod

I'm indifferent at this point, I really have no opinion anymore about the topic. If it happens, it's fine. If it doesn't happen, that's fine as well. I just wish they would have given us more notice if they are really going to do it and I just hope people don't boo him.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Toss aside the talk that the wounds still haven't healed yet for some fans ... if this thing still isn't planned yet and there are only 16 homes games left to get it organized, then c'mon Lou, hold off on it. There's no rush. The guy was a great Devil and deserves more than a rush-job of a ceremony.

Im firmly in the camp that he deserves it, but I hardly see it as a rush-job with 16 games over 2-3 months left. Theres plenty of time to put something together that would be beneficial to him and the fans. We have games against Montreal and Toronto at home in April, Id like to see it at one of those if it has to be done this season.

Edited by ghdi

It's sad how many people are still bitter about him taking less money to play with his brother. :rolleyes:

Very true. When he left I was upset, but at least I could understand the reason and it was not out of greed unlike other past players. Same goes for Rafalski and he got to play on the team he grew up watching so more power to him.

Scotty should have his # retired. Future Hall of Famer, 3 time cup Champion with Devils, All-star, brief captain.

Im firmly in the camp that he deserves it, but I hardly see it as a rush-job with 16 games over 2-3 months left. Theres plenty of time to put something together that would be beneficial to him and the fans. We have games against Montreal and Toronto at home in April, Id like to see it at one of those if it has to be done this season.

Plus who is to say that they only started planning now? Perhaps they have not set a date yet because they have been trying to organize something for a while that would fit into everyone's schedules. There will probably be former Devils in attendance and would have to see when they can make it.

Nieds was awesome, again, but not a retiree. He willingly departed the Devils who were ready to make him the highest paid player on the roster. Thanks for the rings, Nieds, and I love you, but when you went to Anaheim, you should have sacrificed any chance at getting your jersey in the rafters. Are we going to retire the jersey of every great player that spends substantial time in NJ? That, to me, is something the Rangers do. Not us.

• Like 1

Nieds was awesome, again, but not a retiree. He willingly departed the Devils who were ready to make him the highest paid player on the roster. Thanks for the rings, Nieds, and I love you, but when you went to Anaheim, you should have sacrificed any chance at getting your jersey in the rafters. Are we going to retire the jersey of every great player that spends substantial time in NJ? That, to me, is something the Rangers do. Not us.

IMO this is very near-sighted. He didn't leave with animosity. He left to go play with family. Sure, he waited too long to decide and Lou also waited too long + knee jerked getting his replacements, but he started his career with us, without him we likely don't have those next 2 Cups.

He, moreso than anyone who has ever left the team, is deserving of this honor. Id say 13 seasons with us out of 18 years in the NHL total is more than enough service to earn this.

I've got tickets to that game against the Habs and have been there for both prior number retirements, so that'd be cool. But Montreal fans travel. I'd hate to hear a bunch of that ole bullsh!t break out in the middle of his speech.

Edit: I place none of the blame on Lou for the summer Nieds left. IIRC, he flew out to B.C. a couple times and made the biggest offer he could. Scotty was indecisive, and by the time he inked with the Ducks the replacement pool was so thin that Malakhov and McGillis were all that were left. Credit to Rafalski for being as patient with Lou as he was that summer.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

I've got tickets to that game against the Habs and have been there for both prior number retirements, so that'd be cool. But Montreal fans travel. I'd hate to hear a bunch of that ole bullsh!t break out in the middle of his speech.

Montreal fans tend to be respectful I've found. They respect good hockey players. You're right though, I doubt it would be against a team like that.

The last game against Boston would be an alright candidate as well.

You are nuts. Just because he was not a "lifer" he shoudn't have his jersey retired?!?!? Talk about SOUR GRAPES. To compare this to what the Rags do is laughable. Nieds is a FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER, 3 TIME CUP CHAMPION WITH THIS FRANCHISE and was a huge part of our defensive corps the entire time he was here. How many jerseys did the Rags retire of sure fire HOF'ers and 3x Cup Champs? (3 Cups with the Rags that is) I'll wait....

The only jerseys as of right now that should/will be retired by the Devils is Marty, Elias, and Nieds. All 3 of these guys will have their numbers besides the #3 and #4 that are already up.

Edited by ThreeCups

He is one of only four Devils that have three rings with the team. I fully appreciate much more since he left. I don't blame him for moving on as he would have been forever be judged in a Devils uniform in the shadow of Stevens. Winning with Anaheim solidified his greatness.

I hold the Devils core four of Stevens, Nieds, Dano and Rafi in the same esteem I hold Savard, Robinson, Lapointe, Bouchard as the greatest defense core in league history.

Nieds was a great Devil and the team loved him (I still remember Big Jim McKenzie crushing Domi in their first visit to NJ after his cheapshot in the playoffs).

This post says it all for me. I've always liked him, but never felt lou gave him the respect he deserved. No neids=no cup.

Unfortunatly, there will be assclown fans that will still boo him.

If they are planning to do this it should be put off until next season...a nice touch would be to do it when the Ducks where in town.

That's a big NO. We know how the Devils fans feel about the Ducks and the whole situation. Plus, Scoty has been associated with Anaheim for a good few years now, so a lot of young people remember him mainly as a Duck. Why add to it? This is our party. He won three Cups here. Most of his international accomplishments also came when he was still a Devil. I say let's celebrate his Devils days and don't give a damn about his the times he had with Anaheim during this ceremony.

I think his number should definitely be retired. But whether it's this season or the next one... I'm kind of indifferent. Maybe it's indeed better to wait a few months to prepare it really well. Plus, the later this comes, the less fans are still going to hold a grudge and boo him.

This topic has been beaten to death - countless threads , polls etc. It always comes back to about the same conclusion.. most devils fans want his jersey retired -- but not all.. on this board easily 60/40

So if there such a divide on the overall decision, then it does not serve the overall devils constituency.

Do not retire his jersey ...

soapbox.gif

• Like 1

It's sad how many people are still bitter about him taking less money to play with his brother. :rolleyes:

It's so sad how some people cannot accept that not everyone is a Neidermayer fan. Just because I have never agreed with anyone about Neids doesn't mean I'm bitter. I wish we still had all the posts since 2001 so you can see how often I wrote how much I disliked Neids while he was on the team.

His leaving confirmed my feelings and I stated I would eat all my words if he re-signed with the Devils.

I HATED the way he handles his role as Captain on this team. I just find his reticence INFURIATING! I find his heartfelt soul searching insincere - just procrastination, making sure no one KNOWS what a prick he is at heart.

• Like 1

He deserves to have his number retired without a doubt. Anyone who says otherwise is just 100% wrong and every reason they have for thinking the way they do is a crappy reason. Niedermayer spent many great years here and contributed to the success of this team in ways that very few players have. To deny him of this is to deny that he had that great an impact on this team and that's just plain wrong.

The years were great. Too bad he wasn't until 10 years into his career. I don't want it to seem like I'm getting on the guy for being a very good player, but we are talking about a number retirement.

Ken Daneyko has his number retired, and he's not a HOF'er. Niedermayer is. Niedermayer became a HOF player while he was still a Devil. He deserves to have his number retired by this organization. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on Nieds (I, quite frankly, can't understand the lingering biterness among some and it drives me insane, but whatever), but no one can deny that #27 deserves to go to the rafters.

Niedermayer held out TWICE too..... don't forget that........

I never really warmed up to him either, he always had the talent but he always seemed to lack that extra passion you want from a top-end guy....

To me the real question is..... now that the Vagine is traded.... do you put MacLean's #15 up.... and how weird would THAT be in the same year you fired him as coach :unsure: