#61 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,022 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:06 PM

;) \

I can see your point and it should be about his time in NJ, but if we did it on a night that the Ducks where here it would show there are no hard feelings and that the fans and the organazation don't feel a need to be petty.after all he did learn how to win here. :evil:

This. Couldn't have said it better myself.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#62 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

If you didn't like him before he left then my post isn't aimed at you. I was just saying that his leaving alone is a crappy reason to dislike him.

As has be said before, it wasn't the fact that he left that some folk dislike him , it is the way in which he left that is the problem for many.

It is because he hemmed and hawed about leaving, which put the Devils in a bind and the 2 M fiasco resulted because of it. If he'd have been up-front and honest from the get-go that he wanted to play with his brother in Duckville all would have been fine.
But no, he lollygagged and fvcked around, then at the last minute made his decision( which he already knew he was going to make a year before).

THAT is what has left a bad taste in a lot of Devils fans mouths, me included.

#63 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 06:50 PM

As has be said before, it wasn't the fact that he left that some folk dislike him , it is the way in which he left that is the problem for many.

It is because he hemmed and hawed about leaving, which put the Devils in a bind and the 2 M fiasco resulted because of it. If he'd have been up-front and honest from the get-go that he wanted to play with his brother in Duckville all would have been fine.
But no, he lollygagged and fvcked around, then at the last minute made his decision( which he already knew he was going to make a year before).

THAT is what has left a bad taste in a lot of Devils fans mouths, me included.

That's a lame excuse. Obviously it was a tough decision for him but Lou shouldn't have sat around waiting. He should have just said look if it's going to take a while for you to decide I'm gonna do what I can to shore up the defense now while there are still alternatives available and if you decide to come back we will bring you back if possible. Instead Lou rolled the dice and lost.

Also I think it is humorous that you somehow know that he made up his mind a year in advance yet for some reason decided to wait well into the offseason to announce it. He never said a decision would come shortly for it to be smart by Lou to wait for it, it was clear it would take a long time.

Edited by devilsfan26, 05 February 2011 - 06:51 PM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#64 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:26 PM

That's a lame excuse. Obviously it was a tough decision for him but Lou shouldn't have sat around waiting. He should have just said look if it's going to take a while for you to decide I'm gonna do what I can to shore up the defense now while there are still alternatives available and if you decide to come back we will bring you back if possible. Instead Lou rolled the dice and lost.

Also I think it is humorous that you somehow know that he made up his mind a year in advance yet for some reason decided to wait well into the offseason to announce it. He never said a decision would come shortly for it to be smart by Lou to wait for it, it was clear it would take a long time.

Its not an excuse for me, it is a reason. I in part agree with you about Lou waiting for Scott's decision, however, your description does not make sense (to me) Let's say Lou does get proactive and signs some other D-men to compensate for the loss-potential loss of Scott. What would then happen if Scott decided to re-sign in NJ? SALARY CAP ! The Devils would have been over the cap by about $8 million. And if in the ensuing mess those other D-men were signed to 2-3 years deals, how would Lou have moved them to get under the cap.

I utterly disagree about it being a hard decision for Scott to leave NJ, it was easy, he wanted to play with his brother. Nothing complicated about that, he should have told Lou from the start which in turn would have allowed Lou to go and get some better D-men. IIRC Adam Foote was available, until he signed with CBJ because Scott dragged his feet over his "tough" :rolleyes: decision.

To the bolded, regardless of what contrived reason Scott had/has for lollygagging and not committing, hockey is a business. People who do not make decisions in business do not survive for long. He even jacked the Ducks over one season when he was dragging his feet about playing in that particular season.

Scott needs B ) (pun) to have theraputic counsel about the values of decision making AND commitment.
Could you imagine going shopping for a pair of sneakers with this guy ! you'd be there for three days waiting for him to decide on Nike or Reebok :doh1:

#65 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 09:10 PM

Its not an excuse for me, it is a reason. I in part agree with you about Lou waiting for Scott's decision, however, your description does not make sense (to me) Let's say Lou does get proactive and signs some other D-men to compensate for the loss-potential loss of Scott. What would then happen if Scott decided to re-sign in NJ? SALARY CAP ! The Devils would have been over the cap by about $8 million. And if in the ensuing mess those other D-men were signed to 2-3 years deals, how would Lou have moved them to get under the cap.

I utterly disagree about it being a hard decision for Scott to leave NJ, it was easy, he wanted to play with his brother. Nothing complicated about that, he should have told Lou from the start which in turn would have allowed Lou to go and get some better D-men. IIRC Adam Foote was available, until he signed with CBJ because Scott dragged his feet over his "tough" :rolleyes: decision.

To the bolded, regardless of what contrived reason Scott had/has for lollygagging and not committing, hockey is a business. People who do not make decisions in business do not survive for long. He even jacked the Ducks over one season when he was dragging his feet about playing in that particular season.

Scott needs B ) (pun) to have theraputic counsel about the values of decision making AND commitment.
Could you imagine going shopping for a pair of sneakers with this guy ! you'd be there for three days waiting for him to decide on Nike or Reebok :doh1:

Yea I know the salary cap would make it hard to sign Niedermayer after signing others, that's why I said if possible. Also that's still a better situation to be in than what we ended up with--McGillis and Malakhov because nothing was left. That's on Lou, not Niedermayer.

So if it wasn't a tough decision, why did he take so long to decide? You seriously think he knew a year in advance and just didn't announce it? Why would he do that?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#66 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:10 PM

It's funny how people forget that Nieds' brother got a contract extension from the Ducks just before Nieds signed there. That's what he was waiting for really, he wasn't doing it to d-ck the Devils around, he had to actually make sure he was leaving to play with his brother. And he 'waited' for a total of three or four days. Who knew that like 400 players would all sign contracts within hours of UFA?

Besides, maybe he didn't think we'd give him a max offer and that threw a wrench into his 'year in the making' decision.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 05 February 2011 - 10:12 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#67 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:16 PM

MacLean without a doubt deserves to have his #15 retired. Unfortunately this year I'm sure has put a sour taste in many people's mouth. I just hope it doesn't ruin all the other things MacLean has done for this team. I mean, he scored the most important goal in franchise history. If that doesn't qualify you for number retirement, what does?

The Ranger vacation time already did that for a lot of people...the coaching thing was gonna be his redemption and that blew up big-time :lol: Plus with what happened with Langs, I really don't want to see #15 for a while period.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#68 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

Yea I know the salary cap would make it hard to sign Niedermayer after signing others, that's why I said if possible. Also that's still a better situation to be in than what we ended up with--McGillis and Malakhov because nothing was left. That's on Lou, not Niedermayer.

So if it wasn't a tough decision, why did he take so long to decide? You seriously think he knew a year in advance and just didn't announce it? Why would he do that?

Because he was waiting for Rob to get an extension in Duckville. I bet anyone a dime to a donut that if Rob does not get that contract at the time, Scott Re-signs in NJ.

This had been brewing for a while. Lou tried to get Rob, but Burke wanted Gomez in return so Lou didn't go for it. I think there might have been a package of Rob and Mcdonald for Gomez + picks or something but it fell through, or that deal was a rumor (long before Ecklund existed).

In some respects Lou does deserve some of the criticism, but AFAIC Scott gets most of the blame. In a sense it was a win-win situation for Scott because he wanted to play with his brother. From Devils perspective, it was pretty $hitty and two faced. That kind of conduct results in a potential jersey not getting raised to the rafters :whistling:

#69 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

All of these anti Nieds sentiments are completely moot because #27 is being retired, period. Whether it is this season or in the future, it is happening as it should.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#70 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Because he was waiting for Rob to get an extension in Duckville. I bet anyone a dime to a donut that if Rob does not get that contract at the time, Scott Re-signs in NJ.

This had been brewing for a while. Lou tried to get Rob, but Burke wanted Gomez in return so Lou didn't go for it. I think there might have been a package of Rob and Mcdonald for Gomez + picks or something but it fell through, or that deal was a rumor (long before Ecklund existed).

In some respects Lou does deserve some of the criticism, but AFAIC Scott gets most of the blame. In a sense it was a win-win situation for Scott because he wanted to play with his brother. From Devils perspective, it was pretty $hitty and two faced. That kind of conduct results in a potential jersey not getting raised to the rafters :whistling:

The only people who thought it was sh!tty and two-faced are blatant Devils homers. Everyone else sees it for what it is--a pro athlete taking less money to play with his brother, and as NJDevs4978 reminded us, he only waited three or four days (I just looked it up and he is correct, signed on August 4th and I believe free agency started on August 1st that year). It was well-rumored that he wanted to play with his brother, it's not like that came out of nowhere the day he signed the contract so Lou should have tried to make moves once it became apparent he would not be able to acquire Rob.
--John Buccigross

#71 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,870 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:26 AM

The only people who thought it was sh!tty and two-faced are blatant Devils homers. Everyone else sees it for what it is--a pro athlete taking less money to play with his brother, and as NJDevs4978 reminded us, he only waited three or four days (I just looked it up and he is correct, signed on August 4th and I believe free agency started on August 1st that year).

It's amazing how many people perpetuate the myth that Nieds 'took forever' to decide, no he didn't take forever, it only seemed like forever compared to just about everyone else running for as many cap dollars as they could get in the first hours of UFA.

Not to mention it was the first hockey activity in over a year because of the lockout so anything over five minutes would probably have been too long a wait for some :lol:

#72 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:51 AM

I'm kind of on the fence about Niedermayer getting his number retired. I don't really feel strongly for it or against it. I think part of the reason is that it's been a while since he's been here...Stevens and Daneyko were much fresher in my mind than Niedermayer is now. Not that I've forgotten Nieds' contributions here, but I guess in a strange sort of way this jersey retiring will feel more anti-climactic. #3 and #4 just FELT so right and emotional.

I don't have any problems with the way Niedermayer left. Sure, I wish he could have made the decision sooner, but no one here knows what was going on in his head...could've been nothing more than that the decision really was that tough for him, that he knew he'd be going to play with family, but also knew he'd be leaving the only team he'd played for. And I don't get angry with players who earn a right to exercise UFA, then choose to so do. He had every right to leave, and accomplished plenty while he was here.

I think one mistake people are making is knocking Niedermayer for this and that, while forgetting that the other two Devils to get their numbers retired weren't exactly saints. Stevens didn't even want to come here when he was first awarded to the Devils, and was exploring every possible avenue to not become a Devil until he had a change of heart. He would later sign an offer sheet to return to the Blues (which Lou of course matched, but not at a price he was thrilled to pay). Nothing wrong with Stevens doing so, but "loyalty" is a word you hear mentioned in the same sentence with Stevens often. As for Daneyko, when the Devils first received Stevens, he was at the forefront of a group of Devils players who were threatening a near-mutiny against Lou, threatening to walk out unless his salary was increased. And we know about his drinking issue.

I'm not saying that neither player deserved to have his number retired...both absolutely did, and I was thrilled for both of them. But I think both Daneyko and Stevens have been painted for years as players who never ever did wrong and were "perfect" Devils, when that really wasn't the case.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 06 February 2011 - 08:53 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#73 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:17 AM

All of these anti Nieds sentiments are completely moot because #27 is being retired, period.

This is true.

#74 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,923 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

I am probably in the minority in saying this, but when I remember Niedermayer's entire career in NJ, he underachieved relative to his talent. Go back in time to the late 1990s. What were Devils' fans saying about him?

#75 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,022 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:29 PM

The only people who thought it was sh!tty and two-faced are blatant Devils homers. Everyone else sees it for what it is--a pro athlete taking less money to play with his brother, and as NJDevs4978 reminded us, he only waited three or four days (I just looked it up and he is correct, signed on August 4th and I believe free agency started on August 1st that year). It was well-rumored that he wanted to play with his brother, it's not like that came out of nowhere the day he signed the contract so Lou should have tried to make moves once it became apparent he would not be able to acquire Rob.

And BINGO was his name-o.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#76 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:52 PM

Nieds' number should be up there along side Sarge's and Marty's. The 5 players that were all integral parts of the 3 championships. Brylin is also one of those guys who isn't a hall of famer but he gave his heart and soul to this organization and was a fan favorite for years. Nieds on the other hand is a hall of famer and I think retiring his number would bring some positive closure that apparently a lot of fans on here need.

I'm not so sure you can make the case for retiring Brylin's number. If you put his number up there, you can really make the argument for players like Madden and a few others. I really would like to keep the amount of retired numbers to a minimum. It's supposed to be an honor, not something every hard working player gets.

The Ranger vacation time already did that for a lot of people...the coaching thing was gonna be his redemption and that blew up big-time :lol: Plus with what happened with Langs, I really don't want to see #15 for a while period.

I really hope that people can overlook what happened this season with him as coach. Number retirement imo, shouldn't be affected by what happens after the playing career is over and MacLean was my absolute favorite player as a kid and it would break my heart if he doesn't get his number retired.

#77 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,386 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Brylin should be in some sort of ring of honor, I do not think he is worthy of a jersey retirement. I am on the fence about Johnny Mac, I can see arguments either way for him. He should also be in a ring of honor at a minimum.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#78 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

^I think the Rangers thing definitely hurts him a lot, but He scored the most important goal in Devils history when he got us into the playoffs for the first time and that is what makes him a definite for number retirement imo.

#79 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,627 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:09 AM

I'm not saying that neither player deserved to have his number retired...both absolutely did, and I was thrilled for both of them. But I think both Daneyko and Stevens have been painted for years as players who never ever did wrong and were "perfect" Devils, when that really wasn't the case.

You're right about that, but despite their various black marks, Stevens and Daneyko will always be remembered as "Kool-Aid guys". Stevens may not have wanted to be here at first, but eventually he changed his mind and put his heart and soul into the team. And of course Dano was 100% heart and soul. Niedermayer never struck me as a "Kool-Aid guy". He held out a couple times, never played up to his abilities, and you could tell the team never got into his blood the way it does with a lot of guys.

I am probably in the minority in saying this, but when I remember Niedermayer's entire career in NJ, he underachieved relative to his talent. Go back in time to the late 1990s. What were Devils' fans saying about him?

I don't quite remember either, but I agree with this. Yes, he was one of the best defensemen the Devils ever had, but he could have been so much more. His win in the fastest skater contest at the All-Star Game that one year (I forget which year) cemented that for me. He made it look so easy that you had to wonder how much of his talent he was holding back.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#80 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:14 AM

^I think the Rangers thing definitely hurts him a lot, but He scored the most important goal in Devils history when he got us into the playoffs for the first time and that is what makes him a definite for number retirement imo.

not for nothing, but by that logic, Neil Broten should have his number retired for clinching game 4 vs Detroit for our first Cup ever.

first playoff was nice, first cup is the pinnacle and solidifies our place in NHL history.

Johnny Mac deserves an honor, but only a ring of honor.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users