ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

I'm still hoping they hang Brylin's number

Doubtful

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#103 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:22 PM

I got lost amidst the many pages on here, and thought you stated in the beginning that you did not think he was worthy. As long as you acknowledge that he is indeed worthy of such an honor then go ahead and continue the postathons dissecting his career.....

Dissecting his mind -- his MIND!! ( wow -- I dont have a maniacal smilie... ) You're still all grumpy :lol:

I'm here for the party

#104 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

I have never and will never like Scott Niedermayer. He doesn't deserve to have his number retired imo. He left for a dumbass reason and never gave 85% nevermind 100%. I can understand stand both sides. I wouldn't tell someone they were nuts for liking him nor try to change their mind about retiring his number. I have no interest and probably would skip watching any ceremon. I was one who celebrated when he left. :evil:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#105 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 07:05 PM

Scott gave us 3 cups and some great moments when he wore a Devils jersey. I didn't like how he left here either but I'm over it.

One of my favorite Nieds moments...

#106 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:11 PM

I happen to think he deserves it. Look he was a great Devil; never one of my favs but I mean sh!t he was key for us winning 3 Cups. Its hard as hell to win 1 Cup let alone 3 especially in 9 years!! The reason he left was to play with his brother I believe that. Scott and Dano werent perfect with us but we honored them. Neids deserves it plain and simple!

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#107 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:27 PM

Look he was a great Devil.

We were watching a different guy. The word "great" doesn't come to mind when I watched Scott Niedermayer the first 10 years of his career. Greatness eluded him. But he was pretty darn good.

#108 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:48 PM

I consider Niedermayer to be the Devils second-best D-man ever and an integral part of the team's three Cups. I never thought he wasn't trying or didn't care. I just thought he was a quiet guy.

I absolutely think he deserves to have his number retired, but I wish they wouldn't rush it.

#109 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 01:43 AM

He left for a dumbass reason...

He would either play with his brother or play for more money. Putting aside the teams involved, which reason do you think is more honorable?
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#110 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

As to the above -- seriously?

If I could work with either of my sisters... on the same team... been there done that for a good 18 years day in day out.

He took the Ducks job AS I WROTE BEFORE HE SIGNED -- because he knew , he had a really REALLY strong feeling he could transfer the Devils system to Anaheim and win his brother a Cup. He made sure management would get him the personnel he required and allow him to run the show in a passive COMPLETELY CONTROLLING way.

The GM did NOT plan this all through -- it was Scott's doing OBVIOUSLY! If I hadn't seen it all before it even happened if I hadn't CALLED IT BEFORE IT HAPPENED I'd say sure it was some dear altruistic choice.

If I wanted to be near my sister for family reasons I'd have signed with Kings, Sharks -- man even Vancouver. Then I'd be close without being TOO close every effin' day with her big mouth goin at me!

It wasn't some sweet warm fuzzy it was "FINE STFU - I'll get your baby his damned Cup" to Carol.

And of course he succeeded. and of course I knew he would.

and of course he NEVER stepped up for the Devils like that. In a way maybe that's a good thing -- Lou can't hold a candle to the understated furor that is Carol <_<

I just dont like him - it's just not REAL -- he's mock sentimental. He has no real depth of feeling. It looks like he does but it's just not there. and I can tell! I CAN :noclue: It's doesn't have to be a priority for anyone else -- it is, in fact, an unreasonable priority I have always agreed. but it doesn't stop me from feeling how I feel. And no -- it shouldn't stop him from getting all his accolades.

I'd have preferred he not get the Norris for that particular season -- and I do not think that was something he pushed for. I think he'd have been fine to not get it either -- because he knows what I know and honestly -- he tries as best as he is able to be honest. It all just goes THAT DEEPLY for him. and it just leaves me cold.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 08 February 2011 - 10:12 AM.

I'm here for the party

#111 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

and of course he NEVER stepped up for the Devils like that. In a way maybe that's a good thing -- Lou can't hold a candle to the understated furor that is Carol <_<

Just to clarify ... in what way did ne never step up for the Devils?

He should have won the Smythe in '03, so his play stepped up when we needed it. If you mean he never stepped up in the sense that he didn't dictate to Lou how to run the organization in order to win the way you believe he did in Anaheim, well ... yeah. Lou doesn't take orders, he gives 'em.

Case in point, gripes about Nieds' attitude/demeanor are about as old as gripes about his misuse by management and various "system" coaches. It's possible that the latter caused the former. It reminds me of the old drummer story with Dano, where he asked for more time on the PP and Lou told him "Kenny, you're a drummer. If you wanna play violin, I'll find a team that needs a violinist." Except Nieds was a violinist who was asked to bang the drum for much of his time here.

As much as, like Jerry said, this jersey retirement could be in part for his post-Jersey accomplishments, it could also be a form of making amends from Lou for asking him to be a drummer for so long. :noclue:
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#112 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:28 AM

I have never enjoyed Pepperkorn's posts as much as I have in this thread. Way to go, PK!

#113 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:30 AM

He should have won the Smythe in '03.

I agree with that. Niedermayer was great that whole playoffs.

#114 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

As to the above -- seriously?

If I could work with either of my sisters... on the same team... been there done that for a good 18 years day in day out.

He took the Ducks job AS I WROTE BEFORE HE SIGNED -- because he knew , he had a really REALLY strong feeling he could transfer the Devils system to Anaheim and win his brother a Cup. He made sure management would get him the personnel he required and allow him to run the show in a passive COMPLETELY CONTROLLING way.

The GM did NOT plan this all through -- it was Scott's doing OBVIOUSLY! If I hadn't seen it all before it even happened if I hadn't CALLED IT BEFORE IT HAPPENED I'd say sure it was some dear altruistic choice.

Eh I still don't think that's a dumb reason for leaving.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#115 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

He should have won the Smythe in '03, so his play stepped up when we needed it. If you mean he never stepped up in the sense that he didn't dictate to Lou how to run the organization in order to win the way you believe he did in Anaheim, well ... yeah. Lou doesn't take orders, he gives 'em.

Case in point, gripes about Nieds' attitude/demeanor are about as old as gripes about his misuse by management and various "system" coaches. It's possible that the latter caused the former. It reminds me of the old drummer story with Dano, where he asked for more time on the PP and Lou told him "Kenny, you're a drummer. If you wanna play violin, I'll find a team that needs a violinist." Except Nieds was a violinist who was asked to bang the drum for much of his time here.

As much as, like Jerry said, this jersey retirement could be in part for his post-Jersey accomplishments, it could also be a form of making amends from Lou for asking him to be a drummer for so long. :noclue:

Well... I suppose one could say that Lou never allowed him to step up for the Devils. I'd accept that justification. I'm certain Niedermayer would use it.

He got the call in 2004 - maybe he was just scared. He always likes to present himself as nervous, scared -- he stepped up 2003 - but the issue was more than just the Devils needing him. But I can see that fiction as well as I can see my own.

So I can accept your fiction for him. but you won't see mine. Works for me :evil:

I'm here for the party

#116 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Well... I suppose one could say that Lou never allowed him to step up for the Devils. I'd accept that justification. I'm certain Niedermayer would use it.

He got the call in 2004 - maybe he was just scared. He always likes to present himself as nervous, scared -- he stepped up 2003 - but the issue was more than just the Devils needing him. But I can see that fiction as well as I can see my own.

So I can accept your fiction for him. but you won't see mine. Works for me :evil:

The fact that we're able to call both our versions "fiction" makes them both work for me. :D

When it comes to deciphering his attitude, demeanor, logic for leaving, etc., fiction is all we have. The non-fiction part is that Niedermayer was one of the best defensemen of a generation and he did most of his playing and winning in a Devils uniform. Hopefully that's enough for the fans in attendance on Nieds Night to cheer instead of boo because their own fiction isn't very favorable.
Posted Image

#117 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:35 AM

When it comes to deciphering his attitude, demeanor, logic for leaving, etc., fiction is all we have. The non-fiction part is that Niedermayer was one of the best defensemen of a generation and he did most of his playing and winning in a Devils uniform. Hopefully that's enough for the fans in attendance on Nieds Night to cheer instead of boo because their own fiction isn't very favorable.

But he still NEVER won didly without a BETTER defenseman on his team with him..... that too is telling and legit knock on his career also.... it also seems to get forgotten too
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#118 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:39 AM

But he still NEVER won didly without a BETTER defenseman on his team with him..... that too is telling and legit knock on his career also.... it also seems to get forgotten too

So you really think in 10 years from now Chris Pronger will be regarded as a better defenseman than Scotty Nieds?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#119 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:12 PM

Dangerous statement to make, considering how much winning Nieds has done throughout his hockey career (4 Stanley Cups, 2 Olympic golds, 1 World Championship gold, 1 World Cup gold, 1 World Cup silver, 1 World Junior Championship gold, 1 Memorial Cup).

The other defensemen on Canada's gold-winning 2004 World Cup of Hockey roster:
Eric Brewer
Adam Foote
Ed Jovanovski
Wade Redden
Robyn Regehr
Scott Hannan
Jay Buowmeester

The other defensemen on Canada's gold-winning 2004 World Championship roster:
Jay Bouwmeester
Eric Brewer
Willie Mitchell
Derek Morris
Nick Schultz
Steve Staios

The other defensemen on Canada's gold-winning 1991 World Junior Championship roster:
Patrice Brisebois
Karl Dykhuis
David Harlock
Jason Marshall
John Slaney
Chris Snell

The other defensemen on the Kamloops Blazers 1989-90 Memorial Cup-winning roster:
Darryl Sydor
Murray Duval
Joey Mittelsteadt
Dean Malkoc
Craig Bonner
Steven Yule
Joel Dyck
Shea Esselmont
Todd Harris

Of course, you're probably talking about his Cups and Olympic golds coming alongside Stevens or Pronger. Pronger vs Niedermayer is a debate that could go either way (I'd definitely say Nieds). Some pundits might also argue Nieds was better all-around than Stevens (though I wouldn't). He also got his Norris in the year Stevens was gone for most of the season, but you're probably talking more about team achievement than personal awards.
Posted Image

#120 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:35 PM

by the same token, scott stevens never won jack without another great defenseman on his team

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users