155 replies to this topic

#141 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

In the summer of '13, he'll be elected into the HHOF and then inducted in November '13, so IMO his jersey does not need to be raised before the induction.

What is the correlation between jersey retirement and HHOF enshrinement?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#142 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:38 AM

EDIT: Somehow posted it twice

Edited by ThreeCups, 09 February 2011 - 09:38 AM.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#143 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:05 AM

I'd say (though I know you didnt ask me) it's just a clear bench mark of appropriate timing.

WHile it hasn't been very fashionable in the last half of the 20th century nor in the first fourth of the 21st century - propriety isn't something our forefather made up to be a pain in our ass. Sometimes when you rush through things ceremonies and the people they are meant to honor - are not given the appropriate attention. It's like eating ice cream before dinner. You're hungry so you dont enjoy it as much -- and then when dessert time rolls around you've got nothing. The whole experience ends up rather dissatisfying because you rushed to get to the good part before it was really time.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 09 February 2011 - 10:06 AM.

I'm here for the party

#144 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

FWIW, I emailed the Devils (mgmt@newjerseydevils.com) about this topic this morning and received two prompt responses within 20 minutes, one from Chris Modrzynski and one from Rich Krezwick.

My name has been changed to protect the guilty. :evil:

Dear Devils Management,

Trusted Devils' beat reporter Tom Gulitti made mention recently that it appears plans are in the works to retire Scott Niedermayer's No. 27 in the near future, possibly as soon as this season. I just want to make known, in case it wasn't already, what the general train of thought is among the fans about this.

Personally, I'm in the boat that believes Niedermayer fully deserves the honor. Simply put, he was one of the best defensemen of an entire generation and was an integral part of bringing the Stanley Cup to New Jersey three times. (Plus, he really should have been awarded the Conn Smythe in 2003, but that's another story.)

Unfortunately, there is a rift among fans on this topic. There is a very large number who don't believe he is deserving. Though each fan has his/her own reasons, the general feeling is due mostly to the wound from his departure still being too fresh. Many felt betrayed and let down by someone we had hoped would assume the torch passed from Scott Stevens.

Devils fans, as I'm sure you are well aware, are a group unafraid to vocalize their opinions. I fear that if Niedermayer was to receive this honor this season, there may be a portion of the fanbase booing at the ceremony. Niedermayer deserves better than that.

It is for this reason that I humbly emplore you to reconsider holding this ceremony at such a near date. The passage of time has already allowed some of these wounds to heal. I myself used to be in the boat that thought Niedermayer had let this team down and didn't deserve to be immortalized alongside Stevens, Ken Daneyko and, eventually, Martin Brodeur. With time, however, the good memories outweighed any perceived slight against the organization or fans that I may have held. But many fans still need more time.

I look forward to one day seeing the number 27 and that familiarly long nameplate reading NIEDERMAYER proudly hanging from the same rafters at the Rock where the three Stanley Cup banners he helped raise currently reside. I just hope that, on the day he receives this well-earned honor, the fans will have been given enough time give him the enthusiastic ovation he deserves.

Thank you for your time,
ManBearPig

Dear ManBear,

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We appreciate your comments about Scott Niedermayer, and mostly your support of the New Jersey Devils. Your note has been forwarded to Mr. Lamoriello.

Best regards,

Chris

Dear Mr. BearPig,

Thank you for taking the time to write and for your valuable insight. We completely enjoy hearing from every fan and take every comment to heart. Thank you again and hope to see you at a game again soon.

Thanks,

RICH

Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#145 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:46 PM

Thanks PK. Yes, I think its best to wait until he is "in" the HHOF (so they can raise it in October, or better yet, to wait for after the induction ceremony in November)

#146 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

What is the correlation between jersey retirement and HHOF enshrinement?

IMO, its kinda cooler to announce that he "is" a member of the HHOF when they are having a ceremony to raise the jersey, instead of raising it before June '13.

#147 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

First of all, a professional hockey player probably isn't all that similar to any occupation you or anyone here has had. Obviously it is still a job, but playing on the same hockey team as your brother isn't the same as working at the same office as your brother so the whole working with family thing goes right out the window in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure he did take less money, I don't have a source to back it up right now but I'm fairly confident that was the case just based on memory.

I'm not sure what you're talking about in the second paragraph. He signed three days after free agency started, so he didn't really take all that long, but I think it's unfair to say he lied.

You asked for an honorable example and I took it as a generic example and I gave you one. It has nothing to do with Scott N at this point tho I will say this. Any player that says "my current teams is number on my list and then signs immediately with another team, i.e.Holik, is a LHRB. IMO Scott N had no intentions of re-signing with NJ unless his brother was signed to the Devils. He always wanted to play with his brother? Sorry but I don't care about type of occupation, in my opinion working with family is a bad idea.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#148 NJDevsRock

NJDevsRock

Albany Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

FWIW, I emailed the Devils (mgmt@newjerseydevils.com) about this topic this morning and received two prompt responses within 20 minutes, one from Chris Modrzynski and one from Rich Krezwick.

My name has been changed to protect the guilty. :evil:

I know I have said I don't "Like" the guy but I certainly never have and would never boo him...where do you get that fans would boo him if/when they raise his jersey? I know people have said they are against it, or that they wouldn't buy a ticket to see it, but have I missed people saying they would boo him? I think those are two seperate things entirely?

#149 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

I know I have said I don't "Like" the guy but I certainly never have and would never boo him...where do you get that fans would boo him if/when they raise his jersey? I know people have said they are against it, or that they wouldn't buy a ticket to see it, but have I missed people saying they would boo him? I think those are two seperate things entirely?

Booing Nieds comes up every time the subject of retiring his number is discussed. It's mentioned a few times in this thread too. Not so much saying that they'd boo, but being afraid that someone else might. Given how strongly some oppose the retirement, and given that this is the same fanbase that had some loonies who booed fan-favorites like Gionta and Madden, I don't think it's an unsubstantiated fear. I'd love to be wrong, though.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#150 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 04:16 PM

Look he helped us get 3 Stanley Cups in 9 years; 3 Stanley Cup Finals in 4 years winning 2 Cups. He should of won the Smythe Trophy in 03. Won the Norris Trophy in 04.

Now in 05 he left to play with his bro and took less money. It wasn't like he left for THE money. Wanting to go play with his brother was evident when he let Rob take the first lap around the ice with the Cup instead of him! Now granted he had two of his best years points wise in Anaheim culminating in his 2nd year winning the cup. After that he couldn't decide if he wanted to retire or not and never put up the same numbers again. So what the Ducks got two really good years and won a Cup; you can't compare that to his body of work in New Jersey. 2 great years and 1 Cup < 12 great years and 3 Cups in four attempts!! Who's to say that if he had stayed here that we would of won another Cup; you can't say that with a matter of certainty.

To the people that say wait till he gets in the HHOF to retire it; umm correct me if I'm wrong didn't we retire Stevens number at the Meadowlands in 06 and he wasn't in the HHOF yet. We had a ceremony for him in 07 at the Rock for his induction into the HHOF; I should know I was there, the game was against the Caps, and I got the poster from the night.

What does he owe us huh?? He helped get us 3 fvckIN CUPS!! He doesn't owe us anything; he was a grown man and made he decision that he accomplished great things here in Jersey and wanted to leave to play with his bro and ultimately winning a cup with him. There is nothing wrong with that!! I'm sorry maybe I'm just more forgiving but I think his entire body of work with the Devils makes him more than qualified for this honor.

P.S. He is the only Canadian player to win every major North American and international championship in his career; he has won the Memorial Cup, World Junior Championship gold, IIHF World Championship gold, two Olympic gold medals, four Stanley Cups and the World Cup.

Cmon the guy is more than deserving of this honor!!!

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673, 10 February 2011 - 01:42 AM.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#151 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:18 PM

IMO they also should have waited for Stevens to be in HHOF

#152 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:58 PM

We had a ceremony for him in 07 at the Rock for his induction; I should know I was there, the game was against the Caps, and I got the poster from the night.

Stevens retirement ceremony was in February 2006 vs the Carolina. Devils won 3-0 nothing cuz I was there with my son and I recall the Hurricane players watching the events from their bench. When Stevens walked off the ice at the end of the ceremonies he was met by Brind'Amour.
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#153 ChilltownDevs2673

ChilltownDevs2673

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:21 PM

^Im talking to the night they honored him for when he was inducted into the HHOF.

Edited by ChilltownDevs2673, 10 February 2011 - 01:40 AM.

RANGERS SUCK; FLYERS SWALLOW!!!

#154 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

You asked for an honorable example and I took it as a generic example and I gave you one. It has nothing to do with Scott N at this point tho I will say this. Any player that says "my current teams is number on my list and then signs immediately with another team, i.e.Holik, is a LHRB. IMO Scott N had no intentions of re-signing with NJ unless his brother was signed to the Devils. He always wanted to play with his brother? Sorry but I don't care about type of occupation, in my opinion working with family is a bad idea.

How long before Scott signed with Anaheim did he say the Devils were number one on his list? I don't remember that.

I'm sure the Niedermayers would disagree with you that playing on the same team was a bad idea considering they won a Cup together, and I doubt the Sedins think playing together is a bad idea.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#155 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,742 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

How long before Scott signed with Anaheim did he say the Devils were number one on his list? I don't remember that.I'm sure the Niedermayers would disagree with you that playing on the same team was a bad idea considering they won a Cup together, and I doubt the Sedins think playing together is a bad idea.

I never said he said that. Read the bolded in my post to which you are replying. :) I also said imo he never had any intention of signing.

You are quick to point out my not being exact and yet you did similar. I think I will call it a tie and agree to disagree. :)
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#156 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

^Im talking to the night they honored him for when he was inducted into the HHOF.

Oh. OK.
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users