109 replies to this topic

#1 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:24 PM

Felt this was necessary. Most of the fans here (including myself) quit on Brian. In the last few weeks he's gone from team goat to having preemptive cheers going up in the stands when he winds up for a shot. Let's be honest, given this season, and the waiver incident, he could've just decided to pack it in.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#2 swampdevil

swampdevil

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

Always liked him....great attitude stand up guy and decent player. Not much to dislike cept his contract.... which we all woulda signed for ourselves in a NY minute.
NEW JERSEY, The most american of all states.It has everything from wilderness to the mafia.All the great things and all the worst.For example..............Route 22. - Jean Shepard : 1970 Newark Sunday news

#3 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,121 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:40 PM

Felt this was necessary. Most of the fans here (including myself) quit on Brian. In the last few weeks he's gone from team goat to having preemptive cheers going up in the stands when he winds up for a shot. Let's be honest, given this season, and the waiver incident, he could've just decided to pack it in.

He could have, and it be pathetic. The bottom line is that Rolston hit rock bottom. He can use every excuse in the book, but he just flat out sucked. He was embarassed when not one team would take him on for half his contract.

He is playing well for the first time as a Devil, and I am happy. But I don't think he deserves appreciation for trying and having a good stretch...and oh maybe actually playing hard. It shouldn't have to take being waived twice and humiliated to start playing with some energy.

As some have mentioned in another thread...there is still a lot that Brian is doing wrong each game. He might be finding his name on the score sheet, but his overall game still needs a lot of work.

Edited by devilsrule33, 04 February 2011 - 12:43 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,791 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

The mob is fickle brother.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#5 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:48 PM

Good for Rolston, and I hope he keeps it up. I may even start rooting for him.

I think the weakest link on this team right now is Arnott. The guy has completely given up on this team and is mailing it in. I understand he wants to go to a contender, but he could at least pretend to act like the professional he's supposed to be and still give this team his all.

#6 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:51 PM

Let's just cross our fingers that Rolly keeps it up and a team actually wants him. It's still not terribly likely I guess, but if some team thinks he might be able to play well next year, maybe they take a shot. Playing really well once the season is essentially over... I guess it's nice. But everything about NJ this year has come late, firing Mac, trading Langs, all should have happened earlier.

Anyway, best bet for this franchise remains--trade Arnott, trade Rolston, sign Parise.

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,753 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 12:54 PM

This should be the Brian Rolston Depreciation Thread, to indicate how far Rolston's game has fallen that this level of play gets him a thumbs-up.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#8 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

This should be the Brian Rolston Depreciation Thread, to indicate how far Rolston's game has fallen that this level of play gets him a thumbs-up.

Sssshhhhhhhhh! Other teams' GMs might be reading.

Brian Rolston would be a great trade deadline acquisition for some lucky team out there. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if teams started sending Lou their bids now in an attempt to beat out the frenzy of offers he'll no doubt be getting as the deadline draws nearer.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#9 bekim

bekim

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

hiyo?

#10 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

I hope this means he'll get claimed on re-entry waivers.

But seriously, glad to see the improvement. Still, he obviously needs to go.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 04 February 2011 - 02:03 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#11 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:09 PM

nice guy, but still ruined a good portion of our salary cap so until he does something significant next season when it matters, i won't give him credit just yet.

Edited by ZeroGravityFat, 04 February 2011 - 03:09 PM.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#12 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:24 PM

lol @ Triumph

Yeah I was about to post something equally snarky like "thanks for playing when it doesn't add up to jack sh!t."

I'll always appreciate how he showed up throughout our 2010-11 season and how he really stepped his game up in the postseason when we needed him against the Flyers.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#13 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:28 PM

thanks lou .. for signing brian ...

its the best i could do while taking a free shot..
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#14 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:29 PM

lets make a few things clear

the dude is not a 22 year old anymore.

and also, HE didn't "ruin our cap", he signed a contract (which everyone would have) that MANAGEMENT made, its not like he intentionally negotiated it to fvck our cap over.

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#15 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:33 PM

lets make a few things clear

the dude is not a 22 year old anymore.

and also, HE didn't "ruin our cap", he signed a contract (which everyone would have) that MANAGEMENT made, its not like he intentionally negotiated it to fvck our cap over.

thanks for clearing that up, how can i ever thank you?

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#16 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:37 PM

Ugh the fact that it's taken more than half of his contract to expire and $10 million for him to start being ANY sort of positive on this team. He's making $1.5 million less than Kovalchuk a season...it's really hard to appreciate that.

#17 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,226 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:50 PM

That Rolston/Elias/Zubrus line is clicking which makes me breathe a bit easier when I realize this may be one of the lines next season.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,506 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

He deserved to be quit on.

It's great that he's putting up some numbers FINALLY, but one nice 10-game burst from a points standpoint doesn't whitewash the 2.5 seasons of near worthlessness that came before it.

And I can't give him major kudos for not packing it in after the waiver fiasco. He's getting paid a whole lot of money, much of which he hasn't come close to earning...the least he could do is put in some effort. It's not like he's doing the Devils some great favor now. But at least the situation is win-win for both parties: the Devils finally get a semblance of the player they thought they were signing, and Rolston has at least a small chance of getting another team interested in him come deadline day.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 February 2011 - 03:54 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,319 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:07 PM

he had 20 goals last year and 15 before that. 17 assists both year. Thats what I expect from a 3rd/4th liner. He was injured 18 games in 08-09 and still came away
with a decent 32. Obviously he hasn't been fvcking amazing in points, let alone this season, but i feel like the only reason a lot of people have such hate for him is the contract.

#20 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

He wasn't brought here to be a 3rd Liner and he (and his agent) knew that when they negotiated the contract.

I ain't going to cry a river for a guy who may as well have been showing up to games with a mask and a gun the way he's been robbing management for the last 2+ seasons.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users