109 replies to this topic

#41 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:38 AM

In bold: what a stupid comment. No one here is butt-hurt. People simply wondered aloud how 10 games somehow negates the 160 or so that came before it, and now makes him worthy of adulation, just like that. "just because he didn't live up to their expectations"...really, is that all? Are you serious about this? He didn't live up to ANYONE'S expectations (especially Lou's)...not even close! There's a reason why Lou tried to dump him, and why every other NHL team passed on grabbing him when they has the chance.

You couldn't be more wrong, and prodigy couldn't be more right. If you're going to be this thin-skinned and oblivious, you shouldn't be starting threads like this.

As far as unpopular players go, Rolston is right at the top of the list. Did you miss all of the "Roger Dorn" references from last season? The mere mention of Rolston's name was enough to infuriate most Devils fans up until this from out-of-nowhere surge. He embodied everything a fan doesn't want to see: high-paid, low-producing, underachieving and appearing not to care all that much.

If you have the slightest degree of intelligence, you had to know that this was going to be a debatable topic...Rolston is as push-button as it gets. YES, he's finally playing better and much closer to the level what we were all hoping for, and that's wonderful, but that small sample wasn't going to be enough to make up for the 2.5 years of absolute drek that came before it...drek that you're trying to make sound a whole lot better than it really was. It's going to take a lot more than Rolston producing short-term, in what is essentially garbage time, to get people to feel any real "appreciation" for him. If that's too difficult for you to grasp I don't know what to tell you.

once again you're wrong. my point is not that Rolston is fvcking amazing now and everyone should like him. Its simply a thread that everyone took offense to because its Brian Rolston. thin-skinned and oblivious? its a thread thanking Rolston for actually showing up now. Not a hall pass for a number retirement. I invited the criticism at first, and tried to respond to it. Then the thread just degenerated into stupid one-liners, people saying he "doesn't deserve any appreciation", and people putting words in my mouth, and now the final level of thread-death: personal attacks. So yeah, I'm pissed, because I never said that this streak replaces 2 1/2 years of suckishness, that wasn't the point of this thread. I said I appreciate his effort, thats all.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#42 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

For an '07'er, you sure post like a '10'er.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#43 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 01:33 PM

once again you're wrong. my point is not that Rolston is fvcking amazing now and everyone should like him. Its simply a thread that everyone took offense to because its Brian Rolston. thin-skinned and oblivious? its a thread thanking Rolston for actually showing up now. Not a hall pass for a number retirement. I invited the criticism at first, and tried to respond to it. Then the thread just degenerated into stupid one-liners, people saying he "doesn't deserve any appreciation", and people putting words in my mouth, and now the final level of thread-death: personal attacks.

I seem to recall being told to "fvck off" a while ago, does that not count as a personal attack?

So yeah, I'm pissed, because I never said that this streak replaces 2 1/2 years of suckishness, that wasn't the point of this thread. I said I appreciate his effort, thats all.

Actually, this is not true. You defended both his contract signing, saying it wasn't his fault he got a lot of money, and his stats, saying that 32 points in 08-09 was "decent". Then you said the only reason people give him crap is because of his contract. Well duh, great observation. If he was being paid $500,000 per season then his numbers would be great. But he's not. He's being paid top-level money which he earned with his previous success, which did not carry over to New Jersey. So no sh!t he's getting judged based off of his contract, so is every other player in the league.

Risky is right, you don't sound like a poster that signed up in 07 at all.

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:25 PM

I seem to recall being told to "fvck off" a while ago, does that not count as a personal attack?

As far as personal attacks that I've seen on here, "fvck off" isn't terribly personal, but that's beside the point. No one needs to be getting all mad about this here. We can have a conversation on whether Rolston deserves appreciation or not like adults, without swearing and name calling.

This being said, Rolston really doesn't deserve much appreciation until he can show that he can put up numbers like he has for the past 10 games, consistently over the course of a season and he really doesn't have a lot of time left to do that, 30 games to be exact. The best we really can hope for is that some not too intelligent GM sees his resurgence if you want to even call it that and will pick him up at the deadline. However, this is pretty unlikely, what's far more plausible is that if he continues this play for the remainder of the season and at the start of the next one, we may be able to move him then and even then, we may need to do it by way of re-entry waivers.

If Rolston can put up points at the pace .5pts/game, that's about what you'd expect for $2.5mil. I think if he can put up numbers around that pace for the rest of the season by making it to about 35 or so points by season's end, which is entirely possible, someone could definitely be willing to take him on at $2.5mil next year. Expecting anyone to take him on at full price is a long shot imo, even if he can start scoring again.

Edited by ATLL765, 06 February 2011 - 02:27 PM.

#45 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 03:30 PM

I appreciate Rolston. I view the entire career and not just the "what have you done for me lately" point of view.
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#46 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:01 PM

I appreciate Rolston. I view the entire career and not just the "what have you done for me lately" point of view.

How far back does "lately" stretch? More than two and a half years I guess.

#47 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:40 PM

How far back does "lately" stretch? More than two and a half years I guess.

Lately is relative and subjective. I know that folks dislike Rolston and always have. I have always liked and appreciated him regardless of his off stretches. Same goes for the entire team. Well, maybe not some players. ;)
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#48 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:16 AM

Lately is relative and subjective. I know that folks dislike Rolston and always have. I have always liked and appreciated him regardless of his off stretches. Same goes for the entire team. Well, maybe not some players. ;)

Before the last 10-15 games, you considered Rolston's play over the last 2.5 years an "off-stretch?" I think you may be the nicest person ever or Brian Rolston's agent.

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#49 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 01:18 AM

So you're only allowed to post in a thread if you agree with the thread creator's opinion? Yeah sorry, that's not how it works. You're acting all shocked and hurt because not everyone is as in love with Rolston as you are. Get over it.

Typically you'd be right, but in an "appreciation" thread like this, it's pretty bad form to come in and piss all over the place. If you don't have anything nice to say in an appreciation thread, STFU.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#50 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:24 AM

From what I saw, Rolston looked like he had one of his better games yesterday.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#51 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Before the last 10-15 games, you considered Rolston's play over the last 2.5 years an "off-stretch?" I think you may be the nicest person ever or Brian Rolston's agent.

Um I don't recall specifying the length of an off stretch so your remark is moot. Every player has them. I said off stretch was relative and subjective. :rolleyes:
Dew
TIMEX RULES!!

#52 devils26

devils26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:27 PM

Um I don't recall specifying the length of an off stretch so your remark is moot. Every player has them. I said off stretch was relative and subjective. :rolleyes:

Go back and read your original post:

You said that the term 'lately' is relative and subjective; you didn't say anything about off-stretches.

In fact, I don't think the term off stretch is relative and subjective at all. It is the period of time between when a player stops playing well and then later starts playing well again. Of course the term 'playing well' is objective, but I think even you would agree that Rolston really hasn't played well for the Devils until the last 10-15 games. For that reason, Brian Rolston's off stretch is clearly defined; it started pretty much when he got here and has lasted until 10-15 games ago. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you specifically defined the length of an off stretch because an off stretch is anything but relative and subjective. The only subjective aspect of an off-stretch is deciding whether or not the player has played well, and I can't imagine you think Rolston has played well until the last bunch of games. Or do you just think that Rolston has had 30 consecutive, month long off-stretches? That means it has just been one big, long off stretch.

It's fine to discuss things, but before you roll your eyes, don't just make up what you said when it's posted just above. Posted Image

"The Devils always find a way to win, ... That will continue." -Scott Stevens
"I wouldn't think so. Nothing is broken. It's just a bruise." -Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image

#53 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 08:43 PM

Typically you'd be right, but in an "appreciation" thread like this, it's pretty bad form to come in and piss all over the place. If you don't have anything nice to say in an appreciation thread, STFU.

So in "appreciation" threads, you're not allowed to debate the amount of "appreciation" the relevant person really deserves?

If anything, the TC is most at fault here for making ridiculous claims in defense of Rolston, such as "he's not 22, you know" and "it's not his fault he signed a big contract" and "32 points is not bad" (I'm paraphrasing but he essentially said all these things), which invited more people to pile on against Rolston, which apparently upset the TC.

You're making it sound like everyone came in and posted "rolston is the worst player ever, TC ur such a moron lolzzzz".

#54 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

So in "appreciation" threads, you're not allowed to debate the amount of "appreciation" the relevant person really deserves?

thats not really the point of an appreciation thread. appreciation threads are usually for people to voice their own appreciation, not debate on how much he deserves, thats stupid.

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#55 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:31 PM

thats not really the point of an appreciation thread. appreciation threads are usually for people to voice their own appreciation, not debate on how much he deserves, thats stupid.

That's funny because I thought that all threads on "discussion" forums were for "discussing" topics in. Bringing up the topic of appreciating a player should naturally open up the "discussion" about how much appreciation that player deserves. I don't understand why you would expect everyone to just agree with you one hundred percent and not even entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe, Rolston doesn't deserve that much appreciation yet based on 10-15 games of play.

Is there something hidden in the forum guidelines that says "In threads titled 'appreciation thread', posters may only agree 100% that they appreciate the topic of the thread and may not under any circumstances engage in relevant and interesting discussion about the topic at hand"? If so I must have missed it.

#56 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,320 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:40 PM

That's funny because I thought that all threads on "discussion" forums were for "discussing" topics in. Bringing up the topic of appreciating a player should naturally open up the "discussion" about how much appreciation that player deserves. I don't understand why you would expect everyone to just agree with you one hundred percent and not even entertain the idea that maybe, just maybe, Rolston doesn't deserve that much appreciation yet based on 10-15 games of play.

Is there something hidden in the forum guidelines that says "In threads titled 'appreciation thread', posters may only agree 100% that they appreciate the topic of the thread and may not under any circumstances engage in relevant and interesting discussion about the topic at hand"? If so I must have missed it.

at what point during the effigy burning did you engage in relevant and interesting discussion?

every person that had something good to say about Rolston, you had a comeback in some way, like why even post in the thread?

#57 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:05 PM

at what point during the effigy burning did you engage in relevant and interesting discussion?

every person that had something good to say about Rolston, you had a comeback in some way, like why even post in the thread?

I did? I think you should read the thread again, buddy. My first post was after you already started feeling sorry for yourself for posting a silly thread which countered the feelings of 95% of the other posters in this forum. I tried to explain to you why nobody agreed with you and you told me to fvck off, remember? Then you started claiming everyone was attacking you personally and that nobody was allowed to post in your thread if they didn't appreciate Rolston.

And actually I thought there was some fairly interesting discussion about Rolston's value going forward, possibly as trade bait but more likely as a waiver pick-up for somebody after this season. We also reviewed his stats back to 2008 and discussed how his production did not come close to matching any level of expectations, etc.

#58 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 11:47 PM

You clearly don't understand the point of an appreciation thread, and I'm thinking you didn't even read what I wrote. It's not that you're not allowed, you just come off looking like an ass... which you did.

You're making it sound like everyone came in and posted "rolston is the worst player ever, TC ur such a moron lolzzzz".

Not everyone, just you. Thank you for proving me correct.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#59 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:52 AM

You clearly don't understand the point of an appreciation thread, and I'm thinking you didn't even read what I wrote. It's not that you're not allowed, you just come off looking like an ass... which you did.

Not everyone, just you. Thank you for proving me correct.

In prodigy's defense, I don't think he came off looking like an ass at all. Sure, it's an "appreciation" thread, which I guess means it has to be full of sunshine and love, but let's face it, a lot of people aren't fond of Rolston, and with good reason. And it has nothing to do with people looking at Rolston and saying, "Let's single him out because he's Brian Rolston, and we need someone to pick on." We all know the history...signs a big contract, for a variety of reasons produces very little and appears to care even less, then recently starts to put up some numbers. The recently is wonderful. What came before recently was very hard to take, and is not easy to ignore or forget. I don't think it's such a stretch to expect some members to question this whole appreciation thing, especially when Runnin then started trying to find whatever silver linings he could to somehow make the past sound better than it was, as though Rolston was a victim of unfair expectations.

Anyway:

I appreciate that Rolston is finally putting up some numbers.
I appreciate that he may actually be movable as a result.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#60 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:19 AM

I think to post negatively in an appreciation thread makes it look like you don't want the player to succeed.
and to not want a Devils player to succeed is to not want the team to succeed.
and that's not cool.

Ask Manta how much love he's gotten for seeming like he wanted Kovaluchuk to fail.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users