109 replies to this topic

#61 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:25 AM

rolston is one of the bigger busts of the team but with one year left, and the team performing very well, i hope he can make an effort next year to get himself a new contract with some other team and benefit us deep into the playoffs.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#62 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:26 AM

I did? I think you should read the thread again, buddy. My first post was after you already started feeling sorry for yourself for posting a silly thread which countered the feelings of 95% of the other posters in this forum. I tried to explain to you why nobody agreed with you and you told me to fvck off, remember? Then you started claiming everyone was attacking you personally and that nobody was allowed to post in your thread if they didn't appreciate Rolston.

wrong. You were the only person I claimed to be attacking me, and at this point you kinda are. the fvck off was meant as a general one, but you wound up to be only person in this thread i really had a problem with so it fits. Silly thread? You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston, and now you just refuse to shut up. Are you the definitive chief of appreciation? You get to monitor and distribute the proper amounts of appreciation, and scold people who give him "more appreciation than he deserves"? You could've just looked at the thread and scoffed, but you actually took the effort to type post after post solely trying to make the point that "no one likes him why would you even make a thread he doesnt deserve it blah blah blah" Who knows what was going on in his head that first year? Yes, i defended his God-awful stats. i'm allowed to defend Rolston if I want, who the hell are you to say I can't?

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil, 08 February 2011 - 10:31 AM.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#63 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:27 AM

I think to post negatively in an appreciation thread makes it look like you don't want the player to succeed.
and to not want a Devils player to succeed is to not want the team to succeed.
and that's not cool.

Ask Manta how much love he's gotten for seeming like he wanted Kovaluchuk to fail.

C'mon, that's a flat-out ridiculous conclusion to draw, even for you.

No one said they didn't want Rolston to succeed, and I don't think anyone here came across that way. Of course we all want Rolston and the Devils to succeed...duh! It's win-win...he contributes and helps the Devils win games, and may even make himself attractive to other teams, though at his money and with his pre-surge track record I still think teams are going to be very hesitant about dealing for him. But who knows...maybe some GM is fooled by this.

Not sure how debating appreciating or criticizing Rolston = don't want him to succeed = don't want Devils to succeed.

Manta didn't want Kovalchuk to fail. He went a bit over the top with his criticisms at times, but most Devil fans want every last player wearing the red and black to succeed. I never took Manta's criticizing Kovy as wanting him to fail. I'm sure Manta would happily eat crow (as would I, as I didn't want Kovy back) if Kovy put up great season after great season, and the Devils were succeeding as a result of his contributions.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#64 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

:noclue: ok

I'm here for the party

#65 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:11 PM

In prodigy's defense, I don't think he came off looking like an ass at all. Sure, it's an "appreciation" thread, which I guess means it has to be full of sunshine and love, but let's face it, a lot of people aren't fond of Rolston, and with good reason.

And what's wrong with simply not saying anything at all? I don't expect anyone to come in with "sunshine and love" that they don't mean simply to fit in, and there's no rule saying you have to respond to every single topic. If the community at large feels Rolston isn't worthy of our praise, their silence will speak much louder than someone dumping a load full of pettiness on the thread.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#66 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,772 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Go back and read your original post:

You said that the term 'lately' is relative and subjective; you didn't say anything about off-stretches.

In fact, I don't think the term off stretch is relative and subjective at all. It is the period of time between when a player stops playing well and then later starts playing well again. Of course the term 'playing well' is objective, but I think even you would agree that Rolston really hasn't played well for the Devils until the last 10-15 games. For that reason, Brian Rolston's off stretch is clearly defined; it started pretty much when he got here and has lasted until 10-15 games ago. Furthermore, it doesn't matter if you specifically defined the length of an off stretch because an off stretch is anything but relative and subjective. The only subjective aspect of an off-stretch is deciding whether or not the player has played well, and I can't imagine you think Rolston has played well until the last bunch of games. Or do you just think that Rolston has had 30 consecutive, month long off-stretches? That means it has just been one big, long off stretch.

It's fine to discuss things, but before you roll your eyes, don't just make up what you said when it's posted just above. Posted Image

We must agree to disagree. I don't think he has played as poorly as folks have viewed him since returning to the Devs. :)

Edited by StarDew, 08 February 2011 - 03:36 PM.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#67 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

And what's wrong with simply not saying anything at all? I don't expect anyone to come in with "sunshine and love" that they don't mean simply to fit in, and there's no rule saying you have to respond to every single topic. If the community at large feels Rolston isn't worthy of our praise, their silence will speak much louder than someone dumping a load full of pettiness on the thread.

I get what you're saying...by the letter of the law, it's an appreciation thread, just appreciate, if you can't, steer clear.

I did think it was a sentiment worth debating, just to see where Runnin and like thinkers were coming from. The player involved pretty much ensured there was going to be some kind of debate about this.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#68 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Forgive me for the long post, folks.

You clearly don't understand the point of an appreciation thread, and I'm thinking you didn't even read what I wrote. It's not that you're not allowed, you just come off looking like an ass... which you did.

Well I guess we are in disagreement then. I personally find people who call other people names or say rude things to them like "fvck off" are the bad ones. You'll notice that I've not called anyone a single name nor said anything remotely caustic to any other posters. Perhaps the worst thing I've said is that the thread is a bit "silly". If that makes me an "ass" in your eyes, so be it.

Not everyone, just you. Thank you for proving me correct.

Please, show me the quote you are referring to. I'd like to know when I said anything remotely close to "rolston is the worst player ever, TC ur such a moron lolzzzz". I'd also like to know how anything that I said about Rolston is at all worse than anything said in the page and half of posts that came before mine. You're singling me out to a ridiculous degree. Perhaps you need to read some of the other posts in the thread too?

wrong. You were the only person I claimed to be attacking me,

Yeah, let me stop you there. This is lie number one. Let me remind you what you said:

Then the thread just degenerated into stupid one-liners, people saying he "doesn't deserve any appreciation", and people putting words in my mouth, and now the final level of thread-death: personal attacks.

This was part of a longer post which was in reply to CR76, not me. I was not even mentioned in that post.

You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston

Wow, I belittled every single good thing ever said about Rolston? Yeah, that's not blowing things way out of proportion at all.

Are you the definitive chief of appreciation? You get to monitor and distribute the proper amounts of appreciation, and scold people who give him "more appreciation than he deserves"?

Uh, pardon? You and Rowdy are the ones telling people what they can and can't say in an appreciation thread, not me. I'm saying the thread should be open to discussion about the player. I have not once claimed that nobody was allowed to appreciate Rolston. I explained reasons why a lot of people are not ready to "appreciate" him yet. That was an explanation. I explained why, statisically, I personally am not ready to start appreciating him. I never said how much other people should appreciate him, you made that part up. Read my posts again if you need to. Also, please show me where I "scolded" you. I don't remember that part either.

You could've just looked at the thread and scoffed, but you actually took the effort to type post after post solely trying to make the point that "no one likes him why would you even make a thread he doesnt deserve it blah blah blah"

I don't mean to sound like a broken record here but again - I never said nobody likes him, and I never said "why would you even make a thread" or question your right to make a thread about him. I said the majority of the people here are disappointed in him. That is just common sense.

For a person who complained in this very thread that people were putting words in his mouth, this entire post is putting words in my mouth. Please, use quotes if you want to debate this with me further. This "he said she said" stuff is a bit too sophomoric.

Who knows what was going on in his head that first year? Yes, i defended his God-awful stats. i'm allowed to defend Rolston if I want, who the hell are you to say I can't?

Why would you defend stats that you admit are "God-awful"? That seems dishonest to me.

#69 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:22 PM

Because this is a board where people come to talk and share their opinions about Devils-related topics. I don't come here to read threads and then keep my opinion to myself. Just as there's no rule saying you have to respond to every thread, there's no rule that says you can't respond to certain threads with certain opinions.

As for the last sentence, I disagree. Silence can mean a lot of things. More often than not, it means nobody saw the thread. And if nobody posted then the thread would never get bumped, and probably nobody WOULD see the thread. By expressing their displeasure through posts, the board has shared their opinion on the player the way they know how.

It's time to get off the high horse and stop condescending to people for posting their opinion. You yourself have admitted that there are no rules about posting negatively in an appreciation thread, so why do you continue to shake your head at the people who have done it or call them "asses" for it? However you want to spin it, you're the one at fault here.

If you don't like the the way the thread is going then why don't you take your own advice and keep your opinion to yourself about it. After all, there's no rule that says you have to reply to every post, right?

#70 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:29 PM

This was part of a longer post which was in reply to CR76, not me. I was not even mentioned in that post.

forgive me, birds of a feather

Wow, I belittled every single good thing ever said about Rolston? Yeah, that's not blowing things way out of proportion at all.

taken out of context. what i said was:
"Silly thread? You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston, and now you just refuse to shut up".
"anyone" meaning "the people in this thread".

simply put, you came into an appreciation thread and pissed all over it, behind a guise of civil discussion.

You yourself have admitted that there are no rules about posting negatively in an appreciation thread, so why do you continue to shake your head at the people who have done it or call them "asses" for it?

just because you can doesnt mean you should.

goddamn this is stupid please delete this thread

Edited by RunninWithTheDevil, 08 February 2011 - 06:31 PM.

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#71 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:51 PM

Nah, it isn't stupid. You're a fan trying to shine a light on a positive aspect of something that's been largely negative for a long time. That's a good thing and I tip my cap to you for it.

People need to learn how to share opinions without getting so defensive that we have to justify whether or not we have the right to share opinions. You're allowed to appreciate Rolston. Prodigy is allowed to disagree. An "appreciation" thread might not be the best place for it, but so long as the discussion can stay civil there's no problem with it.

We're all fans of the same team here.

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#72 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:57 PM

and why does D.I.G. always get to be the damn voice of reason?

#73 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

Cuz I called dibs.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#74 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:31 PM

forgive me, birds of a feather

People with reason?

taken out of context. what i said was:
"Silly thread? You're not just "discussing", you're belittling every single good thing anyone has said about Rolston, and now you just refuse to shut up".
"anyone" meaning "the people in this thread".

Fair enough.

simply put, you came into an appreciation thread and pissed all over it, behind a guise of civil discussion.

More unsubstantiated claims with no quotes attached to let me know what you're referring to. Still waiting on some quotes.

Ah I see, you realized that there are no quotes whatsoever to back up any of your claims, so now you're backing out. Cool.

As far as the whole "we're all friends here" vibe, I am not angry whatsoever and have had a completely calm tone throughout the conversation. And I'll reiterate that I have not made any personal attacks or called anyone any names. So I think I'm fine in that regard.

#75 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

Ah I see, you realized that there are no quotes whatsoever to back up any of your claims, so now you're backing out. Cool.

actually because its pointless now

#76 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

actually because its pointless now

But before it was so meaningful?

#77 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:26 PM

But before it was so meaningful?

Duh? -- of course it has no meaning! Talking to a big negative brick wall is meaningless. He didn't recognize you for what you are until now.

I'm here for the party

#78 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:46 PM

Duh? -- of course it has no meaning! Talking to a big negative brick wall is meaningless. He didn't recognize you for what you are until now.

Way to jump on the bandwagon. Would anyone else like to insult me/makes claims against my personality based on nothing at all while we're at it?

I'll say the same thing to you that I've said to these guys - show me some quotes from this thread to back up this claim that I'm "a big negative brick wall." Where are you getting that from?

I am nothing but optimistic about this team. I'm also realistic. Rolston was not good for a long time here. Am I not allowed to say that? Does saying that make me a "negative brick wall"? Because then apparently the majority of this board are a bunch of brick walls too.

#79 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

:evil: Sorry for jumping in. I didn't think you were down, so no harm kicking right?

Seriously I am sorry - I've been in both shoes. I'm with DiG:

Posted Image GROUP HUG!!! Posted Image

you know... when or if you're ready and all ^_^

I'm here for the party

#80 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 10:52 AM

I get what you're saying...by the letter of the law, it's an appreciation thread, just appreciate, if you can't, steer clear.

Thank you for understanding where I'm coming from.

Because this is a board where people come to talk and share their opinions about Devils-related topics. I don't come here to read threads and then keep my opinion to myself. Just as there's no rule saying you have to respond to every thread, there's no rule that says you can't respond to certain threads with certain opinions.

In my first post on this thread, I believe I said something to the effect that most of the time, I agree with this. Discussion, debate, they are the lifeblood of any message board. The point that you're either still not understanding or choosing to ignore is that coming into a thread meant to prop up a player and spouting "no way bro, he sucks" is like farting in church or dropping a deuce in the pool. It's just bad etiquette, and you're going to get some dirty looks. And no, you didn't start it, but you defended the naysayers vehemently enough that you became the target.

People need to learn how to share opinions without getting so defensive that we have to justify whether or not we have the right to share opinions. You're allowed to appreciate Rolston. Prodigy is allowed to disagree. An "appreciation" thread might not be the best place for it, but so long as the discussion can stay civil there's no problem with it.

And that's my big thing. There's a time and a place for everything, and a player appreciation thread is not the place to dump on said player.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users