50 replies to this topic

#21 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:39 PM

Mike Madden for Penn's radio was ranting that they needed to pick up arnott...2nd rd pick this year and a 4th next year please....that seems feasable considering the penn's circumstances

Arnott for Paul Martin straight up :boogie:
Posted Image Posted Image

#22 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Are you talking about Labarbera for Hedberg and our 4th round pick? We can't expect to get LaB. plus a 4th round pick for a 37 year old goalie.

It was just an example. A team swapping their worse backup for Hedberg and the Devils get a little bonus for the swap. I don't think anyone cares that he's 37 if they're only going to have him the rest of this season. Hedberg is a guy people think can start over the short term....they probably think this because almost every goalie can. But he's gotten hot at the right times and gets positive media attention so I think his utility as a goalie is overrated by NHL teams.

Although for this example, I do think PHX would feel more comfy with Hedberg than Labarbera. I'd do it for even a 7th round pick coming with Labarbera. I'd do it for almost anything, Hedberg isn't Devils property this year, they aren't going anywhere this year, if you can turn no future value into any future value then the Devils should probably do it.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,075 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Greene hasn't had a big NHL payday yet, I don't think he's taking any discount from anyone, but that's just IMO, none of us know.

true enough, and it wouldn't be a huge discount nonetheless.

You can go and grab some other mediocre goalie for even less than Hedberg just to fill the warmness of the bench and fill in. Like, just to make something up, PHX decides they'd prefer Hedberg over Lababera to back up. Ok, you swap the 2 of them and like a 4th round pick

we're assuming a lot here.

But also freed up 6.667 million dollars for the next 3 years. Zubrus I don't mind money wise, but Clarkson is a train wreck at his salary. You can get a guy to do what he does for less, perhaps much less.

that's not a guarantee. with the cap continuing to go up and a lot of bad contracts ending, there's some room now for teams to make more mistakes. there aren't a lot of teams in cap hell.

I don't see how it hurts. You jettison him now for 2.5 million or he stays around. Or you jettison him in the offseason or he stays around. Either way, I don't see how taking a shot is harmful and it has the upside of getting rid of him.

the possibility exists that he will be here next year, and we don't need him to be senor sulks a lot. i'd rather trade him than waive him anyway.

White's contract is good, but if you've freed up other cash the team is better off using his money for something else, especially if Salvador is going to push to play next season. It's not a White is bad or has a bad contract thing, it's that White might not be the best fit. I put all sorts of disclaimers on White because I think it would take a bunch of special circumstances for it to make sense.

i can't imagine salvador pushing to play next season, and if it does, it's going to be in albany. he wasn't better than white when both of them were healthy.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:32 PM

Vancouver may offer a pretty penny for Greene. Salo is down, and Ballard is gonna be out for awhile too

#25 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:28 PM

Vancouver may offer a pretty penny for Greene. Salo is down, and Ballard is gonna be out for awhile too

what do you think they would offer for a d man in the bottom 15 in plus minus?
i figure a late pick andy greene is worth more then a 4th rd pick from van....andy greene has played more games then i would at least but much more then 80% of the 4th rd picks over the past seven years on a person by person basis...not cumluative basis obviously

i would love to unload but unless we're getting some real value i dont see why

seriously what could you expect best case for andy....anybody i figure 3rd pick at best no?
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,382 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

I definitely hope Lou finds a way to get something for Arnott, Greene, and Hedberg. If the right deal comes along for Clarkson, I hope they take it. I really like Zubrus game and I think he can be a big contributor for this team in what I think can be a quick turnaround, though if the absolute perfect deal was offered, then I'd hope they take it. White is a guy I want to see stick around, solid vet for the unstable defense corps.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:43 PM

I'd be fine with letting Arnott go, along with Clarkson of course. If we find a buyer for Hedberg, fine. But I really don't want to trade Zubrus, White or Greene. I think they're all very important, and more vital than their stats show. Their cap hits are reasonable and I think until the wheels entirely come off again, they're not worth trading.

#28 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:45 PM

I dont see Moose or Greene going. Neither will Zubrus going as he is the hardest working player right now on the team beside Patty.

I do see Arnott and Clarkson going, possibly together in one trade which would be a great offer to put out there.

Moose will be gone after this season. His contract will not be renewed.

Edited by Quinn01, 08 February 2011 - 09:46 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#29 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Moose is probably going to be kept for the rest of the year. Brodeur's injury woes throughout the year and particularly his current concern, really doesnt lend itself to moving Hedberg right now.

Greene is absolutely a strong candidate to be moved. He is a UFA and by all accounts will be testing the free agency waters. If someone offers a 2nd rounder and/or a prospect, Lou should take it. Green's value for us is only until the end of the year and he gets overrated because he's been very cheap. That's not going to stay that way. His play has picked up recently, but he's not a guy I'd invest a lot of money in considering he's not a top pairing guy nor a guy who tends to offer something significant on either the defensive or offensive end. He's a guy who when on his game can be steady and contribute in 5-5 hockey. The money we have locked into Tallinder and Volchenkov as well as White for another year doesnt help matters. I think Greene intends to take the highest offer in FA, and I'm certain there will be a few teams offering some nice money with security in terms of yrs, think 3 yrs, 9-10 million, around there.

I'll be honest though, if I was a team and I had the choice between Andy Greene and Chris Phillips, I might take Andy Greene considering what the Senators would ask for and having to deal with Phillips NTC. I don't get the hoopla over teams trying to trade for Phillips. He's been brutal without Volchenkov this year, and has been trending downward the past few seasons anyway. The times I have seen him play, he's been unimpressive.

Arnott is going to be highly sought after as he is a veteran with lots of playoff and Cup experience, and he is a center with size. He's going to bring back probably a 2nd, and I wouldnt be shocked with a little something added on, maybe another conditional pick or a prospect considering there's a few teams that could use him.

As much as I'd love to see it happen, Clarkson isn't getting moved.

Edited by coldply123, 08 February 2011 - 10:24 PM.

Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#30 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 10:51 PM

Ballard is only 3-4 weeks so he'll be back for playoffs. Salo is conditioning in the AHL I think so he should be back soon.

#31 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:31 PM

If someone offers a 2nd rounder and/or a prospect, Lou should take it. Green's value for us is only until the end of the year and he gets overrated because he's been very cheap.

Arnott is going to be highly sought after as he is a veteran with lots of playoff and Cup experience, and he is a center with size. He's going to bring back probably a 2nd, and I wouldnt be shocked with a little something added on, maybe another conditional pick or a prospect considering there's a few teams that could use him.

would take a 2nd rd pk for either...hopefully a couple teams shows interest in one or both and we can squeeze an extra late pick

i :pray: we draft well this year though...a lot of these 2nd rd picks dont amount to anything...but if we could find 2 guys who even make it to the nhl as quality 3rd line d or off ill be happy
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#32 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:02 AM

I'm on board with the general idea that Greener could be let go because of his situation (ie, impending free agency and probable payday) and I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but...

For those of you who think we should get rid of him, what the hell do you expect our D to look like next year? Are you relying on free agency or prospects?

#33 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm on board with the general idea that Greener could be let go because of his situation (ie, impending free agency and probable payday) and I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but...

For those of you who think we should get rid of him, what the hell do you expect our D to look like next year? Are you relying on free agency or prospects?

Maybe a guy like Joe Corvo, even though he is awful at D. Unfortunately, we don't have any prospects who are PMD, unless you count Tao, and he isnt that strong in the defensive zone yet.

#34 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:16 AM

I should have specified, but you understood. I meant PMD.

I think Tao has a shot to be a good d-man, but other than Tallinder and Tao we have a lot of bruisers. We've gone from Neids (good, not evil) to Rafalski to Martin to Greene. I think we need to seriously consider keeping Andy around if no one is available to fully replace him.

#35 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:16 PM

I should have specified, but you understood. I meant PMD.

I think Tao has a shot to be a good d-man, but other than Tallinder and Tao we have a lot of bruisers. We've gone from Neids (good, not evil) to Rafalski to Martin to Greene. I think we need to seriously consider keeping Andy around if no one is available to fully replace him.

Yeah, I can't believe people want to get rid of Greene. He is our only real puck moving defenseman besides Matt Taormina (who looked good before a big injury) and Anssi Salmela (who is a project). This is the obvious biggest problem on the team after losing Martin, Oduya, and Mottau. That Greene has had a bad year so far is good for the Devils because it means we can sign him to a reasonable number. I'd be happy with anything less than Clarkson's contract, but obviously Parise's situation takes priority.

Of course anyone is available for the right price, but really what do your really think Andy Greene could get us in a deadline deal? Probably a draft pick, or midlevel prospect. Doesn't seem worth it.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#36 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:38 PM

Talinder and Green have been our two best defensemen during this surge! We need skaters back there chasing the puck into the corners, and behind our goal. Green has been very big in that dept. I'd probably pay green 3 mil to stay if he plays at the current level

#37 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,521 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:00 PM

So if the Devils don't trade Greene, can you guarantee he stays a Devil? I don't feel like not trading him gives the Devils a much better chance to re-sign him. He's looking for his first big payday, he'll go for the big money, I imagine. That might be the Devils, but he's not staying here just because they didn't trade him at the deadline. Also, trading him at the deadline doesn't stop the Devils from having him next season.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#38 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:27 PM

I don't know, the recent hot run puts LL back in the drivers seat looking for bargains. I can see Arnott going for the right deal, but now with the team under the cap and playing well I can see him doing nothing if he doesn't think it's a good deal.

#39 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:36 PM

Maybe a guy like Joe Corvo, even though he is awful at D. Unfortunately, we don't have any prospects who are PMD, unless you count Tao, and he isnt that strong in the defensive zone yet.

Corvo was getting burned a lot last night, and looked really bad on Arnott's blind, backhanded feed to Tedenby, just sayin...

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#40 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:39 PM

I don't know, the recent hot run puts LL back in the drivers seat looking for bargains. I can see Arnott going for the right deal, but now with the team under the cap and playing well I can see him doing nothing if he doesn't think it's a good deal.

exactly, with 3 weeks until the deadline, we'll know a lot more about their direction [i.e. - is this current streak the real team or are they only destined to come back to earth]

if we keep chipping away and over the next 7 games [not counting the Florida game the day before the deadline] get within single digits of the playoff hunt, i see us turning into buyers.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users