104 replies to this topic

#41 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,474 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

You know what's annoying -- that he probably NEEDS two games to get his sh!t together. Two games LEmiare can even stand behind. but that third game was just a big fvck you. Devils are such good sports we have to give them an additional fvck YOU game to make sure they're as sour on us as the rest of the league.

Suspentions aren't based on hit, injury, or prior record. They're based solely on organizational outrage. The Rangers explode at a fine -- Devils you have to really kick the sh!t out of them before they even emit a wince of pain.

I'm here for the party

#42 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:20 PM

The NHL is a giant pot of hypocrisy.

I get trying to protect players and reduce/eliminate head shots, but look no further than Volchenkov getting punched in the back of the head three times after the hit. Is that not a direct and intentional blow to the head? Why turn a blink eye to that sort of conduct? F'n christ, it didn't even warrant a penalty according to the officials last night.

If head contact is such a crying concern, why are guys still allowed to drop their gloves and attempt to beat an opponents face into a bloody pulp? Certainly seems like head contact to me.

And all this talk about players not having respect for one another all of a sudden is complete baloney. Remember Messier's cross check to Gilmour's face in 97?...back then, it was a tough hockey player trying to give his team an advantage in the playoffs. The game hasn't changed, only the commentary has.

#43 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,202 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Not surprised with the way things are going in the No Hitting League. I mean we told the idiotic hockey nannies that it would lead to this, but no they had to scream and cry and bitch and moan because a bunch of glass jawed head down idiots got clonked with some gorgeous, CLEAN open ice checks.

Regarding this hit. It was an elbow...but it wasnt the worst I've seen. He really didnt stick it out, kind of a grazing blow. With no track record for suspensions...just give him a game.

Devils should appeal this
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#44 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:23 PM

If head contact is such a crying concern, why are guys still allowed to drop their gloves and attempt to beat an opponents face into a bloody pulp? Certainly seems like head contact to me.

The hits they are trying to eliminate are far more dangerous than a fight.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:26 PM

Cooke getting 4 games with Volchenkov getting 3 is a complete disgrace, but who would expect anything else from the clearly biased front office? If Cooke's hit had been on a Ranger, who knows how long he sits?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:32 PM

Someone already mentioned it, but the fact that the league thought volchenkovs hit was worse is what pisses me off. The reason cooke gets more is because he has a history

#47 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

I can't wait until the Colin Campbell emails about this suspension surface.

Dear Lou,

Three games for Volchenkov, beeyatch! Next time don't forget to invite me to your Presidents Day party. lulz

Love,
Colie

P.S. I owe Conte a nut-punch for saying my son isn't the greatest player he's ever seen. He's suspended too. My Greggy-Poo is gonna be in the Hall one day, even if I have to suspend every other player in the league indefinitely to make it happen.

Gotta go, Gary needs a footrub ...
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#48 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

Why do you think fans of the other 29 teams don't know what the Neutral Zone Trap is?

If a team other than the Devils "traps" ("exciting" teams like Boston-Detroit-Vancouver etc) it's "good defense", if the Devils play good defense, it's the trap.

I agree with your sentiments and would go a step further. Perhaps these commentators and color guys should get fined for stupidity and misinformation.

Oh I know it is amazing how the "trap" ruined the NHL, yet how many teams use it?? Detroit won cups playing the "left wing lock" give me a break it was a TRAP. Philly played the trap under Hitchock, many teams have used it as you said but the Devils and their "trapping style" are just bad for the game...

#49 PaDevsFan

PaDevsFan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:38 PM

Cooke getting 4 games with Volchenkov getting 3 is a complete disgrace, but who would expect anything else from the clearly biased front office? If Cooke's hit had been on a Ranger, who knows how long he sits?

What a true statement! I mean Cookes hit could have done some SERIOUS damage. Not to say Volchenkovs hit couldnt have caused an injury but just looking at the speed and impact.... Come on it was night and day! I could see Volchenkov getting a game and Cooke 4 but 4 and 3?? No way.

#50 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:40 PM

you really think the Devils are gonna try to appeal anything after the Kovy fiasco? we'll wind up losing a goddamn draft pick for an elbow.

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#51 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:41 PM

If he was injured they would have given Volchenkov more than three games.

Really. IIRC punishment meted out by the NHL is based on intent, not result. The punishment would have been the same.

#52 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

I'm very dissapointed by both suspensions. Cooke is a dirty player; he's going to end someone's career with a stupid, needless hit some day.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#53 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:43 PM

3 games is about right for that. Not surprised at all.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#54 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:44 PM

A punch in the head can not only lead to a concussion, it can kill you.

#55 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:46 PM

On the bright side, we do play the Bruins come March 22nd. Maybe a few open ice hits on Gregory Campbell will send his pops the proper message. ;-)
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#56 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

Following the Volchenkov suspension, maybe now Crosby will attend the All Star festivities?
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#57 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:47 PM

So what's your point? The intent is still there...even more so in a fight than on some of these hits. Do you think Volchenkov was intentionally aiming for the head last night? I'd say it was bad timing more than anything else.

And for what it's worth, for every head injury or concussion sustained from one of these hits, I can probably find one from a guy getting dropped in a fight.

I'm not trying to start a fighting is good or fighting is bad arguement...just pointing out the obvious hypocrisy.

#58 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:48 PM

This is getting as bad as the NFL QB protection policy. Boy-chuck put himself in a dangerous position at mid ice. he was low and extended. are D-men supposed to just let the forward HAVE the puck?

Vol didn't go UP at him or leave his feet
Boy-chuck didn't even go down, he was basicly on one knee already
Vol held up and just grazed him
It was his arm, not an elbow or shoulder

This is cr@p

#59 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:52 PM

meanwhile lou silently sips his wild berry smoothie and gets down to his thai chicken salad @ the back of paneras....

cmon... show some life man!
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#60 Neutral Zone Trap

Neutral Zone Trap

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,772 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

I'm very dissapointed by both suspensions. Cooke is a dirty player; he's going to end someone's career with a stupid, needless hit some day.

Let's hope it does not come to that and hopefully someone ends his career instead.

Not so long ago there was this young spunker in the NHL trying to make a name for himself by cheap-shotting star players. He was a career AHler who only got into the NHL because the team he was on the books for had been decimated by injuries and they needed bodies to fill out a roster. He cheap-shotted Martin St Louis and he elbowed Marcus Naslund in much the same way as Volchenkov's elbow on Boychuck but with far greater impact and intent.

This scrub never even got a 2 minute minor for elbowing Naslund (who missed 3 games due to concussion)and even after "review" by the NHL Colin Campbell refused to punish this upstart hotdog.

A teammate of Naslund took issue with the NHL and meted out his own justice and battered this young upstart to a pulp. The end result is that this young cheap-shotter no longer plays in the NHL, and that's a good thing for all of the 700 or so NHL players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users