31 replies to this topic

#21 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,494 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:18 PM

This is the most crushing loss that is ever happened to me. It will take a while before I recover. I knew it was meant to be. As soon as Kasey kicked it out I was like Vinatieri and it is over.

It beats Game 7 1994 and Game 7 2001? Wow.

It took me a whole year to recover from 1994 - TWO for 2001.

Wasn't a fan in 1994 and in 2001 you knew it was over in the 2nd which doesn't hurt with a field goal with 5 seconds remaining in an extremely close nail biting game plus the Devils won the year before.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#22 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:21 PM

Yeah well dr at least your team GOT to a Super Bowl...I've been watching the Jets for over 15 years at least and they got to only so much as one AFC Championship Game in that time. At least your team has hope for the future...we have to deal with the college of coaches, everyone learns on the job here. First-time GM, first-time coach (and he wasn't even a coordinator), first-time DC, hell the only coach with any experience on our staff is Hackett...and he's the worst one of all :rolleyes:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#23 Derek21

Derek21

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,762 posts

Posted 01 February 2004 - 11:29 PM

It started out as a defensive struggle but became one of the best Super Bowls ever. I think both defenses wore down and whoever got it last was gonna win. Poor Jon Kasay though. Man, I thought maybe Jim Fassel was on dial-up. That stinks. Both Qbs showed tremendous heart. Delhomme played great. And Brady solidified his reputation as a clutch QB. His Int almost cost the Pats the game. But he showed some gusto and bounced back with a great drive. Then, he bailed out the Pats D on the winning one. Just an outstanding game.

I had the Pats winning 27-21. Just glad it lived up to the billing.

"The greatest trick Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Hasan, Brian and I blog at New York Puck. Devils, Islanders, Rangers and Sabres.

#24 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:23 AM

Top Three Kicker Screwups of the 2003-2004 season
3. Matt Bryant kicks a 30-yard field goal with 11 seconds left seemingly topping off a fourth quarter Giants comeback against Dallas in week 2. Bryant lines up for what is expected to be a squib kick, but instead kicks it deep. The ball goes out of bounds at the 1 giving the Cowboys the ball on the 40. Quincy Carter completes a 25-yard pass, setting John Cundiff up for a 52-yard field goal, which sends the game into OT. The Cowboys win it in OT. Thus began the downward spiral of the New York Football Giants.

2. The New Orleans Saints, down by seven against the Jaguars, miraculously complete a series of laterals with 0 seconds on the clock to score what should have been the game-tying touchdown. John Carney blatantly blows the extra point, sending the Saints home with the loss.

1. In the closing minutes of Super Bowl XXXVIII Jake Delhomme drives his team down field and ties the game with a 12-yard pass to Ricky Proehl. Kasay tacks on the extra point. On the most important kick of the season, Kasey kicks the ball out of bounds giving New England the ball on their 40 yard line with just over a minute to play. Brady slowly drives his team down field, setting up Adam Vinatieri for another Super Bowl-winning kick.

Edited by David Puddy, 02 February 2004 - 12:23 AM.

Posted Image

#25 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 12:29 AM

Fox really screwed this one up. He shouldn't have went for two that early in the game.

Let's see what happens if he doesn't go for two the first time and the game plays out in a similar way:

At that point, it becomes 21-17. Then the Panthers score again and it's 24-21 Carolina. When NE scores, it's no longer advantageous to go for two, so it's 28-24 NE. Delhomme drives down field and scores, making it 31-28 Carolina. Now, Vinatieri is kicking to tie the game instead of to win it. It's a totally different situation.

I guess you gotta take risks sometimes, though.
Posted Image

#26 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,357 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 01:28 AM

I really hate the patriots, so undeserving. 2 super bowl wins on game winning field goals. I guess this sort of makes it up for them with the Sox being cursed. But god damn, the PATRIOTS with 2 super bowl championships? bill belichicken?
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,494 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 08:55 AM

Fox took the risk but on paper it looked good. Even though I knew the Pnathers couldn't get a two point conversion ever. Just Kasey said he hit the outside of the ball. You know I knew when it was tied Vinatieri was going to get it in. It was just meant to me. The Pantehrs were so close. This is gonna take a while to get over.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 LetsGoDevils

LetsGoDevils

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,177 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 09:11 AM

:huh: :blink: :angry: :( Pats won....whoopie...

:puke:
So Say We All

#29 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,494 posts

Posted 02 February 2004 - 04:38 PM

I keep replaying the game in my head thinking what could have been. I really need the Devils to destroy the Sens to make me feel a bit better.

logokx.jpg

#30 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,339 posts

Posted 04 February 2004 - 04:56 PM

Good game! :)

I called my mom after the interception OMG... a sailor would have blushed... I'll just leave it at that! Tom Brady was NOT her boyfriend for a few minutes there! :lol:

Panthers gave it a great try - but I really didn't want them to win. So where did all these Panther fans come from?

I'm here for the party

#31 Nieda

Nieda

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 04:50 PM

well that sucks...
We will out skate you.
We will out work you.
We will out will you.
And when your head is spinning, your lungs are gasping for air, and you're wondering what hit you...
We will start the 2nd period.
--BlackJack

knowing nothing is better than knowing it all

#32 tarabelle99

tarabelle99

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 456 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 08:41 PM

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

YAY!!! :clap:

My pats won!!!!!!! :evil:

Why do you all hate Boston teams (aside from the RedSux)????? :noclue: :evilcry:
Pity me. I'm surrounded by Red Sox fans.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Shameless Plug for my Drummah friend:

http://www.walthamtheband.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users