#41 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 07:21 PM

hes deffo gettin better

I agree, he's willem dafoe gettin better.

#42 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

I think Fayne has really filled the role the organization was hoping Fraser could the last couple of years.

not really - totally different skill sets. fraser was never looked at as anything more than a physical defenseman asked to hold his own in his own zone.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#43 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

not really - totally different skill sets. fraser was never looked at as anything more than a physical defenseman asked to hold his own in his own zone.

I mean in a sense of someone who can eat some minutes on the back pairing and not be a liability out there.

#44 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 03:10 AM

he's already a decent 6th defenseman. his numbers right now are that of an NHL average defenseman or slightly worse, which is of course better than a 6th d man. i think it might be a devils' fan thing, i'm not sure, but i feel like devils fans expect too much from the back pairing. there aren't that many career back pairing defensemen, just as there aren't many career 4th liners (besides goons, obviously). circumstance and necessity largely dictate these positions, especially in a capped NHL.

his play might slip, that's always possible, but i don't think the idea that he's on his way to becoming a decent 6th defenseman when there's really no such thing. back pairings are made up of a group of guys who are usually destined to become either more or less.

I meant it more as he's on his way to solidifying his role on the team, which just so happens to be as a 6th defenseman at the moment. I certainly could see him improving further over the next few seasons and becoming a respectable midpairing guy, but he doesn't strike me as being good enough to get even close to a top pairing position. I think he's going to end up around the 4-5th spot in the lineup. I think he will do better if he can refine his offensive skill set to the point where he can put up 30+ points each season consistently. If he can't put up the points, it'll hurt him as he seems weaker in his own end compared to when he's on offense.

I feel like many people on the board here are being a little too optimistic since we've been playing better hockey recently and I certainly don't blame anyone for that, but it was only 1 month ago that we were the worst team in the league. Everyone should keep in mind that just as things have been good during this recent stretch, things could easily turn around on us again and we may be talking here about how Fayne was just on a hot streak and that he should be sent down now that he's playing terrible again. I hope that doesn't happen and I don't believe it will, it's just something that we all should keep in our heads, that way we don't get too carried away with imagining how players will turn out a few years down the road.

Also, there's been many players that have had seasons where they seemed to be very promising players that were a lock to be solid NHL players, but then inexplicably couldn't reach those levels again. It's just a reminder that nothing is certain in the NHL and we shouldn't forget that.

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:01 AM

I meant it more as he's on his way to solidifying his role on the team, which just so happens to be as a 6th defenseman at the moment. I certainly could see him improving further over the next few seasons and becoming a respectable midpairing guy, but he doesn't strike me as being good enough to get even close to a top pairing position. I think he's going to end up around the 4-5th spot in the lineup. I think he will do better if he can refine his offensive skill set to the point where he can put up 30+ points each season consistently. If he can't put up the points, it'll hurt him as he seems weaker in his own end compared to when he's on offense.

I feel like many people on the board here are being a little too optimistic since we've been playing better hockey recently and I certainly don't blame anyone for that, but it was only 1 month ago that we were the worst team in the league. Everyone should keep in mind that just as things have been good during this recent stretch, things could easily turn around on us again and we may be talking here about how Fayne was just on a hot streak and that he should be sent down now that he's playing terrible again. I hope that doesn't happen and I don't believe it will, it's just something that we all should keep in our heads, that way we don't get too carried away with imagining how players will turn out a few years down the road.

Also, there's been many players that have had seasons where they seemed to be very promising players that were a lock to be solid NHL players, but then inexplicably couldn't reach those levels again. It's just a reminder that nothing is certain in the NHL and we shouldn't forget that.

Just as I didn't think they were the worst team in the league, I don't think they're a particularly good team now that they are winning. They are getting just about every break during this stretch. They're still an average team without Parise and without Brodeur playing at a high level.

I don't think Fayne's point totals are that important and I will be shocked if he sticks on the power play going forward. He's got some offensive skill, but not very much. It's a nice addition to have a guy on the backline who won't just shoot indiscriminately, but I don't find point totals to be a good measure of how effective a defenseman is.

While it's possible that he begins to play worse, especially as the season wears on and he fatigues, it's obviously much more likely that in the future he plays better.

Edited by Triumph, 14 February 2011 - 11:05 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 01:59 AM

I went to the game last/this night in Raleigh. Fayne was incredibly impressive. This guy is an NHLer for sure. What a pleasant surprise he's turned out to be. Add me to the list of fans.
Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,428 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 10:31 AM

He reminds me a bit of Dan Girardi, another player who came out of nowhere to be a very effective NHL d man. Girardi takes on the toughs and gets beat, but he's very good.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#48 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,895 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

Another fantastic outing by fayne.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users