31 replies to this topic

#1 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:22 PM

It's an insider article, but here's the snipet that stood out for me.

http://insider.espn....tory?id=6155751

4. If you knew you were getting traded, what would be the team you'd least like to be traded to? Why?

Tied with 25 percent of the vote were "any team not in the playoffs" and the Edmonton Oilers, because "they're the least likely to win the Cup," "they're in last place," and "they always seem to be rebuilding." Other answers: Atlanta, "because it's not a hockey market" and "they have no fans," New Jersey, "because I've heard horror stories about how things are done there," the Islanders, "because it's Long Island," Toronto, "because of the media scrutiny," Columbus and Calgary.

#2 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

Yeah, well, take the money and STFU :-)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#3 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

New Jersey, "because I've heard horror stories about how things are done there,"

I see Deron Quint, Esa Tikkanen and Neal Broten were polled.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#4 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:27 PM

Basically it says "I don't want to be traded to a place where I can't be an Ass."
I'm sure the Rags are high up on the list where players would like to play.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#5 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:28 PM

I wonder which ex-Devil is spreading rumours of "how it's done here". :D

Also, it would be interesting to see how many players mentioned New Jersey (we only have one quote in this article). And if it's because of the state itself, because of Lou's defensive style and discipline, or just because we are a non-playoff team at the moment? I wonder if NJ was often mentioned by players in the years past in this context.

#6 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:32 PM

Lou's style isn't for everyone..

It's for players who seriously want to win.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#7 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,450 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:34 PM

this is team!

If someone doesn't feel that way you dont want him :noclue:

I'm here for the party

#8 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

It's kind of ironic that NJ always gets low ranks in players' polls of place to play yet when one of our D-Men or forwards is set to go UFA or are considered as possible trade bait teams and the media get aped up over them. Yeah, I guess no one wnats to play for a club that constantly develops and produces strong talent.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#9 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:39 PM

This is no surprise at all, and the Devils way of doing things are not for players who are not serious about hockey.

Selanne had a chance to come to NJ at the trade deadline in 2003 in exchange for Gomez and he refused to waive his NTC cause he didn't want to play for the Devils at the time. He could have won a cup but instead had to wait 4 more years to win one in Anaheim. He would have been a rental anyways since his contract was expiring at the end of that year.

#10 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:42 PM

It's kind of ironic that NJ always gets low ranks in players' polls of place to play yet when one of our D-Men or forwards is set to go UFA or are considered as possible trade bait teams and the media get aped up over them. Yeah, I guess no one wnats to play for a club that constantly develops and produces strong talent.

Well the sytle of play the Devils use is not for everyone. Several players in the past left the Devils and have had better careers than when they were with the Devils. The ones who have worse tend to be the exception or they are already over the hill when they leave. I read an article once where a scout from another team said they love the players coming from NJ because they tend to be complete players and know how to play all sides of the puck and are not one-dimensional.

#11 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

Marty, Elias, and Kovy (amongst plenty others) have no problem with "how things are done" in Jersey.

#12 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,713 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:43 PM

This is no surprise at all, and the Devils way of doing things are not for players who are not serious about hockey.

....and hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs SINCE that 2003 Cup Run.... if you want to be a hard-ass organization like this one IS, and you DON'T win....people are certainly NOT gonna wanna play there.....it's not that complex......
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#13 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,549 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:55 PM

I see Deron Quint, Esa Tikkanen and Neal Broten were polled.

Don't forget Mike Jefferdanton and Sean Burke.

Quint later gave Lou credit for helping him to straighten himself out.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#14 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:58 PM

....and hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs SINCE that 2003 Cup Run.... if you want to be a hard-ass organization like this one IS, and you DON'T win....people are certainly NOT gonna wanna play there.....it's not that complex......

Yet the Rangers and Colorado and LA have no problems getting players, yet they haven't won anything either in the last 7 years. However what those organizations have are players who do not have to play to a certain system and can do whatever the hell they want. Plus being in bigger markets than us and you cannot deny it, we are not a big market, just located in the shadow of a big market.

#15 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,061 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:03 PM

Eh we landed arguably the biggest UFA in the past decade to hit the open market, I'm content with that :cheers:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#16 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,788 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

it's true - the devils have had a lot of trouble signing free agents the past few years, and especially acquiring guys who've been here before.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#17 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

Lou might run a tight ship but most Ex-Devils rave about playing here. I guess it might be tied into winning and all the coaching changes.

But its ESPN, so take it with a grain of salt. And at least it wasnt an attendance issue lol.

Edited by devlman, 25 February 2011 - 01:23 PM.

#18 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:21 PM

it's true - the devils have had a lot of trouble signing free agents the past few years, and especially acquiring guys who've been here before.

Ah dammit, Tri! You just blew up my Sarcasm Meter. Thing was brand new too.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#19 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:02 PM

That's funny... really funny

lmao
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#20 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,107 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

Fact of the matter is, every free agent we sign always demand a NTC. That and overpaying them are the only way we can get players here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users