31 replies to this topic

#21 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:26 PM

Guys, relax - it's just some players' opinion, we don't even know how big of a percentage it is.

The fact that we rarely sign the biggest UFA available is because: 1) Lou has a concept of building a TEAM and not just signing whoever is out there (like that guy across the river), 2) Even when trying to sign a UFA, Lou won't always give him the insane amount of money the guy commands.

I don't believe this "nobody wants to come to New Jersey" thing at all. It's about the money. If the GM doesn't offer you as much cash as the other one, you're not a charity - you'll probably take more money to play elsewhere. When he does offer big bucks (or at least something reasonable), players come - see: Volchenkov, Kovalchuk, Zubrus.

The history of players coming back only strengthens the point that this organisation is run in a very smart way - if it was awful here, players would only run away and never look back, definitely not coming back.

....and hasn't made it past the second round of the playoffs SINCE that 2003 Cup Run.... if you want to be a hard-ass organization like this one IS, and you DON'T win....people are certainly NOT gonna wanna play there.....it's not that complex......

We are still one of the very few clubs that have made the playoffs in every single post-lockout season. I know we demand more, but the current season shows you just how little it takes for a team to completely fall apart. We lost a lot of good players in the last few years and yet we're still in the playoffs every time. Who else can say that about his team?

Edited by Revan, 25 February 2011 - 02:29 PM.

#22 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,281 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

They polled 20 people, Idk how much stock you could put in those results really.

#23 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

They polled 20 people, Idk how much stock you could put in those results really.

But not just any 20 people, 20 people who have taken pucks to the head for the vast majority of their lives LOL

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#24 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Fact of the matter is, every free agent we sign always demand a NTC. That and overpaying them are the only way we can get players here.

Players demand a NTC to sign with the Devils because they love New Jersey so much that they never want to leave. Obviously.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#25 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 02:48 PM

Marty, Elias, and Kovy (amongst plenty others) have no problem with "how things are done" in Jersey.

Duh... They only polled credible players who have made names for themselves in the NHL.. Who is this Kovy guy?
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#26 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,112 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:03 PM

They only polled players who played for Philly and the Rags.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#27 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:14 PM

20 people? Thats ESPN's surveying skills for you.

#28 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,210 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:06 PM

Fact of the matter is, every free agent we sign always demand a NTC. That and overpaying them are the only way we can get players here.

You could say that for any team that signs a FA though. Lou doesn't like overpaying (who does?) so he throws around the NTC's like they're candy. I suspect after this preseason though he might be a little more hesitant to do that in the future.

All you have to do is look at all the guys who come back after their career's over to either work with the team officially or just be 'around' all the time (Driver, Marshall). People don't run for the hills when they're not drawing a multi-million dollar paycheck. Well some do but you could say that anywhere. Like others have said, we're not for everyone but it seems like the majority of people who stay here a while either leave on good terms or return on good terms later.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 25 February 2011 - 04:08 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#29 adamcsu

adamcsu

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:15 PM

Duh... They only polled credible players who have made names for themselves in the NHL.. Who is this Kovy guy?

lol. It was a survey of the Rags and where they want to go

#30 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Besides the players that have stuck around for years and years, i feel like there are more than a few players and coaches that have come back to the organization. I believe that is because of how things are done and how players, coaches, and their families are treated.
I can't help but think of Lemaire's quote about how he couldn't say no to Lou because of what he's done for him and his family

#31 annabelle

annabelle

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,413 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 09:17 PM

They don't want to be traded somewhere where they would be scrutinized like T.O but don't want to be traded somewhere like NJ where people don't care...

right on guys
This post was brought to you by the letters, D, P & H

"I wasn't trying to be funny. If I was you would have noticed because you'd be laughing.."-C.G 04/14/07

"The winters of my childhood were long, long seasons. we lived in three places, the school, the church, and the skating rink. But our real life was on the skating rink" (from the back of the 5 Dollar bill, proof that Canada IS hockey country..)

Loyalty above all, Save honour

15 seconds left, your team is down a goal...Are YOU in the parking lot or still in the stands?

OFFICIAL MEMBER OF Team Awesome.ca...KEEPING MANITOBA AWESOME!!!!

"FLAMES FANS- the new generation of the 90's Leaf fans, naive and stupid with no actual hockey intelligence..(which is expected when 80% of your fanbase are bandwagoners who started watching April 2004)"- PureTalent#19

Keeper of the Sprite in Marty's water bottle
Posted Image

#32 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,353 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

They don't want to be traded somewhere where they would be scrutinized like T.O but don't want to be traded somewhere like NJ where people don't care...

right on guys

holy sh!t -- i was thinking about you today ....

well.. lets be honest. lets look at our coaching situation these past years, add the glamour of newark, the perceived way lou does things . not for the faint of heart
-- its no wonder some studs run for broadway
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten. "Starbuck, what do you hear? ... Nothing but the rain...

"Look for my coming, at first light on the fifth day, at dawn, look to the East"

"I have the libido of a 15-year-old boy. " - Megan Fox

- Proud njdevs keeper of the Boss' Sold Out banner at the CAA -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users