No replies to this topic

#1 westcoastdevfan

westcoastdevfan

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:23 PM

Posted ImageRolston witha wicked hard slapper!

It took a little extra work but the New Jersey Devils skated past the New York Islanders to keep their playoff hopes alive.

Brian Rolston’s goal in the 6th round of the shootout iced the win for New Jersey. Rolston is known more for his booming slapper then his stickhandling finesse. But tonight he went deep into his bag of tricks to put a nifty move on Islanders goaltender Al Montoya beating the sprawling netminder for the victory.

“He’s played very well for them,” Rolston said of Montoya. “We knew that coming in, and we were trying to figure out how to beat him.”

The goal ended an intense shootout and preserved 2 more critical points for New Jersey.

During regulation, Rolston opened the scoring early in the second on the power play. Kovalchuk fed Rolston for as slapper that zipped passed Montoya. The goal was Rolston’s 12th of the season.

Later in that same period Josh Bailey tied the game at 1-1. With Andy Greene off for a cross-checking penalty, Brodeur made the initial save but a juicy rebound came to Bailey who buried it for his 10th of the year.

Kovalchuk put the Devils back in front at 2:52 of the third. He snapped a wrister through the 5-hole of Montoya giving New Jersey the 2-1 lead. After Kovalchuk’s goal Devils fans at the Nassau Colisseum began chanting, “Kovy! Kovy!”

Jacob Josefson got an assist for his first career NHL point.

“We got a lot of chances today,” Kovalchuk said. “I just go out there and try to do my best.”

The Islanders Blake Comeau tied the game with 3:42 left in regulation, He snapped a loose puck past Brodeur for his 18th goal of the year and sending the game to overtime.

With less then 10 seconds left in the extra period, Kovalchuk and Zajac nearly ended it on a 2 on 1. Kovalchuks’s shot sailed wide setting the stage for Rolston in the shootout.

Rolston and Ilya Kovalchuk each had a goal in regulation and in the shootout.

Brodeur stopped 20 shots for his 16th win of the year.

The win was the Devils 4th in a row. New Jersey is now 20-2-2 in their last 24 games improving to 30-31-4 on the season. The haven’t been 1 game below .500 since the 4th game of the year. The Buffalo Sabres won in OT tonight so the Devil now trail them by 8 points for the eighth and final playoff spot.

Note: Tonight’s attendance at the Colisseum was 15.893. That was the second largest crowd of the season and a majority of them were Devils fans.

thanks the nhl.com for stats.

View the full article
Posted ImageOF LOU'S SACRED KOOL-AID!
Follow me on Twitter @westcoastdevfan
Check me out at dekingdevils.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users