165 replies to this topic

#41 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:16 PM

It wasn't gutsy, just incredibly stupid and self-serving. He walked out on his team, plain and simple. If a player tried to pull this (like K-Rod going home if the Mets did things to make sure his option didn't kick in) there'd be a grievance filed. And it's not like he's getting a managerial job elsewhere regardless, his only chance of being a manager next year was to ride it out with the Nats and hope they picked up the option.

he was interviewed on WFAN and he said that the management and owners are clueless. i think he was ranting that he has them over .500 blah blah and that he only wanted a committment on his future

#42 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 11:43 PM

Wow, just a horrible story:

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6747510

A male fan has died after falling over the outfield railing and landing on the concrete behind the out-of-town scoreboard at the Rangers Ballpark during the second inning of Thursday's game between the Texas Rangers and Oakland Athletics.

The left-field wall is 14 feet high and the fan went over the railing, which is a few feet higher, for an approximately 20-foot drop. The area where the man fell is out of sight from the field.

The fan, wearing a blue Rangers cap and white Rangers shirt, was seated in the front row with his young son. According to others seated near him, the man was yelling at Rangers left fielder Josh Hamilton for a foul ball that was hit by Conor Jackson and ricocheted into left field in the second inning. Hamilton flipped the ball toward the fan and the fan leaned over, caught it and toppled over in the gap between the railing and the back of the scoreboard on the left-field fence.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#43 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:36 AM

Yeah, that is awful. I feel terrible for his family and Josh Hamilton. Hopefully they put some kind of soft padding in that concrete-exposed gap, if possible, to prevent future accidents like this. Really sad.

Edited by nmigliore, 08 July 2011 - 10:37 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#44 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

Yeah that story is just horrible. His poor son that sat there and watched it. I wish his family the best.

The Texas Rangers are about to have a press conference about it any minute.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#45 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:44 PM

Very sad story indeed. That poor kid, his family, Josh Hamilton, the guy that was standing next to him that tried to slow his fall ... just, ugh.

#46 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

This had to be posted. What a horrendous call:

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...pic_id=11493214

MLB really needs to expand instant replay. Ridiculous.

Edited by nmigliore, 27 July 2011 - 09:16 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#47 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:49 AM

Toronto is getting Colby Rasmus as part of a 3-team deal. Looks like they are giving up Frasor and a couple prospects and Edwin Jackson is going to St. Louis. This is probably going to be a major win for Toronto; Rasmus has big-time potential, hes still very young, and he was fantastic last year (133+ OPS, 23 HR from a 23 year old CF'er). St. Louis is stupid.

Edit: Olney claims Zach Stewart and Frasor to the White Sox as part of the Jackson/Teahen deal.

Edit 2: Jackson, Dotel, and Rzepczynski are heading to St. Louis for Rasmus.

So basically, the Jays just acquired Rasmus while giving up Stewart and a couple relievers. Wow, such a steal.

Edited by nmigliore, 27 July 2011 - 11:46 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#48 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,055 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

How many different teams has Edwin Jackson been on? :lol:

I heard someone talking about Rasmus (I think it was Heyman), apparently the Cardinals/LaRussa don't like him cause he listens to his dad and not the coaches.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#49 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, La Russa hated Rasmus. But wow, you have to be stupid to give up on him like that. So much potential, and he flashed a lot of that last season. The Jays basically got him for a prospect who projects as a #3 or #4 starter and 2 relievers; major steal.

Edit: Trever Miller and Brian Tallet are also going to Toronto and Corey Patterson is going to St. Louis, but who cares, it doesn't change the fact Toronto so won this deal.

Edited by nmigliore, 27 July 2011 - 12:05 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#50 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 05:19 PM

1. What a brutal blown call in the Pirate game. I could see if it was a bang bang play but it wasn't even close, hell even Lugo was shocked to be called safe. Just an unreal end to a marathon game.

2. That's a great trade for the Jays for reasons nmigliore pointed out. As a Yankee fan I'm not too happy about that.

3. Man does Edwin Jackson get moved a lot, today was his fifth and sixth trades of his career and he's just 27. At least he gets to test free agency at the end of the year.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#51 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Looks like Ed Wade finally made a quality trade; just robbed the top 2 Phillies prospects (Cosart and Singleton) for Hunter Pence. Also got 2 players to be named later. Not that Pence is bad or anything - hes a good everyday player, but I don't think hes worth two top 50 prospects and hes certainly overachieving this season thanks to a high BABIP. And while hes under control for 2 additional seasons, he's going to get some good coin via arbitration over the next 2 seasons. Great job to sell high.

I wonder if they'll be dumb enough to take at bats away from Dom Brown with this move and completely ignore the terrible player that is Raul Ibanez in LF.

Edited by nmigliore, 29 July 2011 - 08:14 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#52 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,086 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:33 PM

Fister isn't exactly a household dominant pitcher name, but who knows? Maybe wit ha little Tiger run support he can stop the bleeding! Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#53 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:56 PM

Fister is not only a solid pitcher but hes also under team control through 2015, which is nice. Pauley is over-performing but he should help their bullpen a bit, and he too is locked up through 2015. It doesn't seem like Detroit gave up much; Martinez probably has the highest upside of the known players but hes still quite raw. On the surface it looks like a decent deal for both sides, but not knowing the PTBNL, I'd give the edge to Detroit for now.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#54 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:42 PM

The Indians are apparently close to acquiring Ubaldo Jimenez. Wow. Drew Pomeranz and Alex White were both scratched from their starts, so it seems like they would be the main pieces. Buster Olney claims Kipnis "probably" woudn't be involved in the deal. If Cleveland ends up getting him for a package built around Pomeranz and White, that'll look like a great deal for them, even considering the fact they really shouldn't be dealing away young talent. On the flipside, if I'm Colorado, I wouldn't be taking anything less than Pomeranz and Kipnis. Jimenez is a valuable commodity; an ace with a very team-friendly contract through 2013... if you're gonna move him, you better gotta cash in big on that.

Edited by nmigliore, 30 July 2011 - 06:45 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#55 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,969 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

The best part of the Rasmus deal was AA had no business being in it. He found out what the Cardinals wanted, which was Jackson, then went out and got Jackson for the deal. This easily could have been a Sox-Cards deal.

Last year AA fleeced the Braves by getting Escobar for nothing because he fell out with his manager, and he did the same with the Cards.

Great deal by the Indians to get Jimenez if true.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#56 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

Deal seems all but official. Troy Renck of the Denver Post is reporting Pomeranz, White, and Matt McBride. If true, that sounds underwhelming for Jimenez. And I'm not gonna lie, I think I'd take the Hunter Pence haul of Cosart/Singleton + over this.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#57 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

I definitely think Alex Anthopoulos is one of those underrated GM's. If NY and Boston weren't so stacked it'd be interesting to see how the Jays would do in another division.

Thanks for the insight into the Jimenez deal nmigliore. Checking out fangraphs I'm really impressed by Pomeranz. Still I feel like the Rockies could've gotten more. Apparently the Yankees wanted to get a physical recently on Jimenez and the Rockies denied the request so perhaps there is a health issue that they have some concern about, hence why they were so desperate to move him.

#58 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:57 PM

Keep in mind Jimenez's velocity is drastically down too: http://www.fangraphs...FA_20110724.png

Considering that in addition to the fact they are looking to move him (when they probably shouldn't be) and the denying request(s) of medicals/physical makes me believe something isn't right. If I'm Cleveland I'm probably backing out of that deal if I'm denied a medical report or physical from Jimenez.

And considering Jimenez is now making his start, I do wonder if Cleveland did do that....

Edited by nmigliore, 30 July 2011 - 07:58 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#59 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

This whole Jimenez situation that is going on right now is awkward. To be pitching with a guy warming up right behind you, I wonder why they even bothered to start him.

Trade market is weak but per Jack Curry of YES, one of the guys the Yankees we're looking into, Hiroki Kuroda, has decided to not waive his no trade clause. I can't see Cashman making a move unless its some random depth deal at this point.

#60 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:58 PM

Harden to the Red Sox for Lars Anderson and a PTBNL. Depending on who the player is, this seems like a good deal for both sides. Anderson had no long term future in Boston and the A's get something in a down year. If he can stay healthy, this really bolsters the Red Sox rotation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users