165 replies to this topic

#161 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 12:23 PM

Definitely not a fit with the Mets. V-Mart is defensively-challenged, especially behind the plate. Maybe a team is willing to try him at 1B, but he really only makes sense for an AL team where the DH option is always available. He'll have 2/25 left on his deal which is probably fair value for him if you consider him a 2.5 to 3 win player in 2013 (though that might be a bit optimistic). Where he would go is anybody's guess at this point; there is still an entire 2012 season left to play and it seems like the Cabrera-to-3B thing might actually go down, frighteningly enough.

Edited by nmigliore, 25 January 2012 - 12:26 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#162 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,919 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

http://www.metsblog....hitters-market/

According to a tweet from ESPN.com’s Jerry Crasnick, “The Mets are diligently monitoring the left-handed hitting outfield market,” which includes Johnny Damon, Kosuke Fukudome, Rick Ankiel, Raul Ibanez and Juan Pierre.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wouldn't mind Fukudome or Pierre...both quite adept at getting on base
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#163 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

As a White Sox fan, be ready for Pierre to drive you nuts if he signs with the Mets, 7. He essentially single-handedly cost Matt Thornton the closer's role this past season when he had two seriously bone-headed fielding mistakes. When he gets hot, yes, he gets on base and can be a threat to steal. But when he's cold, you'll be screaming for him to be demoted to the minors.

Though the White Sox will potentially be slower on the base paths this year, I'm glad he's gone.

Not all speed is lost in Chicago. If Rios rebounds (not holding my breath) he's good for 20 steals. De Aza showed more speed than I expected, and Lillibridge, Morel, Beckham, and Ramirez are all capable of stealing bases... just not great at it.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#164 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:14 AM

Figured I'd post this since it's kind of big news: Nats extend Ryan Zimmerman, 6/100 plus a club option for a 7th year: http://www.mlbtrader...-extension.html

His current contract won't expire for 2 more years, so this won't kick in until 2014, his age 29 season. This still looks like a great bargain. Zimmerman is easily one of the game's best -- and most underrated -- players when healthy. From 2009-2011, his .374 wOBA is identical to Evan Longoria and Nelson Cruz, and better than Ryan Howard, Dustin Pedroia, and Matt Kemp. In that same time frame, his 17.1 fWAR ranks 12th best among position players, identical to Ryan Braun, and don't forget that includes a down, injury-shortened 2011 season. He's everything you want in a player; he's fairly young, he's a great hitter, he plays a position where offense isn't a big premium like 1B or LF/RF, and he's one of the best defenders at that position.

I don't think his health is a huge concern either; he missed time in 2008 and 2011 for different injuries, and while it hurt his play in both seasons, he still managed to accumulate at least 440 PA in both of those seasons and stay relatively healthy otherwise.

This is a great move by Washington. These are the kind of stars you spend your money on - it definitely beats throwing silly money and years at Prince Fielder who isn't even as good (once you look past just offense as a measure of value) and will age much worse.

This also means their top pick (and my favorite player from the 2011 draft) -- 3B Anthony Rendon -- might have move to 2B in pro ball at some point.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 February 2012 - 03:15 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#165 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:10 AM

Figured I'd post this since it's kind of big news: Nats extend Ryan Zimmerman, 6/100 plus a club option for a 7th year: http://www.mlbtrader...-extension.html

His current contract won't expire for 2 more years, so this won't kick in until 2014, his age 29 season. This still looks like a great bargain. Zimmerman is easily one of the game's best -- and most underrated -- players when healthy. From 2009-2011, his .374 wOBA is identical to Evan Longoria and Nelson Cruz, and better than Ryan Howard, Dustin Pedroia, and Matt Kemp. In that same time frame, his 17.1 fWAR ranks 12th best among position players, identical to Ryan Braun, and don't forget that includes a down, injury-shortened 2011 season. He's everything you want in a player; he's fairly young, he's a great hitter, he plays a position where offense isn't a big premium like 1B or LF/RF, and he's one of the best defenders at that position.

I don't think his health is a huge concern either; he missed time in 2008 and 2011 for different injuries, and while it hurt his play in both seasons, he still managed to accumulate at least 440 PA in both of those seasons and stay relatively healthy otherwise.

This is a great move by Washington. These are the kind of stars you spend your money on - it definitely beats throwing silly money and years at Prince Fielder who isn't even as good (once you look past just offense as a measure of value) and will age much worse.

This also means their top pick (and my favorite player from the 2011 draft) -- 3B Anthony Rendon -- might have move to 2B in pro ball at some point.

Really? Everything I've read assumes that Washington will be moving Zimmerman to 1B.

Otherwise I agree with the sentiment, even if other GM's are taking shots at them for locking up Zimmerman.
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#166 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:49 AM

It would be pretty dumb to move Zimmerman to 1B; part of him being a great player is his fantastic glove at 3B. His glove would have to take a real turn for the worst (not likely) in the next year or so for that to even be a consideration.

Regardless of how Washington goes about it though, it's going to be a great problem to have.

Edited by nmigliore, 27 February 2012 - 11:27 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users