185 replies to this topic

#41 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:29 PM

Some hits and misses in there, but thank god mostly hits. Since Lou took over he had 2 hits and 1 miss, but the 2 hits were pretty big ones, especially in 91 which I believe he traded up for.

Kinda suprised no one corrected this.

The devils traded Tom Kurvers (the thing I distinctly remember about him was that he couldn't keep the puck in the zone at the point on the PP, was years ago and at the begining of my going to games so take that assesment with a grain of salt) to toronto for their 1st round pick in 91(early in the season, not at the draft). Hoping to get Lindros of course. Not sure how Lou would have handled Lindros not wanting to play here but things worked out for the best imo.

And once again, thank you sharks for taking Falloon and not Nieds.

Joe
<ninja edit to specify that the trade was in season not at the draft>

Edited by Joe B, 11 April 2011 - 03:32 PM.

Joe

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:35 PM

Kinda suprised no one corrected this.

The devils traded Tom Kurvers (the thing I distinctly remember about him was that he couldn't keep the puck in the zone at the point on the PP, was years ago and at the begining of my going to games so take that assesment with a grain of salt) to toronto for their 1st round pick in 91(early in the season, not at the draft). Hoping to get Lindros of course. Not sure how Lou would have handled Lindros not wanting to play here but things worked out for the best imo.

And once again, thank you sharks for taking Falloon and not Nieds.

Joe
<ninja edit to specify that the trade was in season not at the draft>

All in all Lou did trade up for a higher spot and got Niedermayer.

And yes thank god the Sharks made a bad decision.

#43 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:42 PM

The Sharks wanted to draft the player with the sillier sounding last name and Falloon eeked out over Niedermayer by a few votes.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,432 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

He didn't 'trade up'. The Kurvers deal was made in 1989 for a 1991 draft pick. In theory, the Leafs could have been picking after NJ in that draft.

Edited by Triumph, 11 April 2011 - 03:48 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,681 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:55 PM

He didn't 'trade up'. The Kurvers deal was made in 1989 for a 1991 draft pick. In theory, the Leafs could have been picking after NJ in that draft.

Then Lou got lucky.

#46 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Devils would have made the same bad decision on Falloon if they had gotten to draft 2nd instead of 3rd. The good decision they made was Nieds over Lachance, it was a toss up on who would be a better choice.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#47 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:08 PM

I read a post somewhere else where someone wrote that we might consider trading the pick for an established PMD. This is not my opinion remind you, I'm just throwing it out there.
I see potential cap issues if we go this route.

Edited by CarpathianForest, 11 April 2011 - 04:08 PM.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#48 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,541 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:51 PM

The Sharks wanted to draft the player with the sillier sounding last name and Falloon eeked out over Niedermayer by a few votes.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Lou wanted Falloon (as would have the rest of the league apparently) over Nieds. So in that sense, we were very lucky.that the Sharks had just arrived.

Also, I haven't heard anything about Lindros not wanting to have played here. I think he just didn't want to play in a fence Canadian city, apparently for tax reasons.

EDIT: just saw that someone made this point already.

Edited by Daniel, 11 April 2011 - 08:53 PM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#49 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:22 PM

That last day of the season just sucks. Getting the 6th overall pick instead of 8th overall pick would mean a world of difference. If we could somehow fluke a way in to the 4th pick I would be ecstatic. We are most likely going to get a defensmen as the BPA now.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:49 PM

That last day of the season just sucks. Getting the 6th overall pick instead of 8th overall pick would mean a world of difference. If we could somehow fluke a way in to the 4th pick I would be ecstatic. We are most likely going to get a defensmen as the BPA now.

it's a full season thing, not just the last day. plus boston was barely skating. i don't think you can say that a defenseman will be the BPA with any kind of certainty right now.

#51 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,468 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:11 PM

If it's truly a daft where the top 8 is above everyone else then picking 8th over 6th makes very little difference. Only the Devils choices were limited, but the value of the player won't have changed much.

Of course the Devils or individuals may feel it's not a top 8 draft, which would change that idea.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#52 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:34 PM

it's a full season thing, not just the last day. plus boston was barely skating. i don't think you can say that a defenseman will be the BPA with any kind of certainty right now.

Murphy
Zibanejad
Hamilton
Armia

These are the ones I seem to be leaning towards. Siemens apparently just came off a horrible playoffs where he was the worse defensmen on the team.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#53 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:52 PM

I'm not against taking a shot at Murphy if he's available. We have tremendous depth in our system at defense, but not one that is amazing at offense

#54 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:58 PM

we should trade rolston for first pick overall, oilers would be idiots to pass on such a clutch talent.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#55 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:06 PM

I wonder if there will be an opportunity to trade up with an Atlanta or an Ottawa who are in some serious need of re-building. I'd gladly trade 1, 2 and 3 to get a blue-chip rather than a maybe chip.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#56 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

we have quite a few proven kids, but i doubt lou would want to trade them for a high pick from a not so spectacular class.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#57 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:39 PM

I don't mean the kids, I mean trading multiple lower-round picks for one shot at a blue-chip. So our picks 1, 2, and/or 3 for something in the top 5.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,432 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

I don't mean the kids, I mean trading multiple lower-round picks for one shot at a blue-chip. So our picks 1, 2, and/or 3 for something in the top 5.

new jersey has dallas's 3rd round pick and its own 1st round pick and that's it for the top 3 rounds.

trading up at the top of the draft is not common. i don't think i would do it.

#59 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 02:56 PM

I thought we had Washington's 2nd for Arnott? Or is that a 2nd in 2012?

#60 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 03:10 PM

I thought we had Washington's 2nd for Arnott? Or is that a 2nd in 2012?

Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users