185 replies to this topic

#141 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 06:37 AM

lmfao i have to say maddog best gif iv seen out there for the lottery and draft.

Yep. It's the "Bettman stare" picture that really makes it for me.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

#142 Maddog

Maddog

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 08:48 AM

Thank you gents.

NHL.com has the actual footage of the numbers being drawn. I would love to had been there after the camera was turned off. :evil:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=108174

MDD_zpsbc48401d.png

#143 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:21 AM

It's Devils Mgmt laughing splice that gets me... JVB is so unctuous :rofl:

I'm here for the party

#144 Devilzibook

Devilzibook

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 08:55 AM

Thank you gents.

NHL.com has the actual footage of the numbers being drawn. I would love to had been there after the camera was turned off. :evil:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=0&id=108174

I don't get the 4 numbers thing... can someone explain it to me ?

I understand each numbers' associated with a team, but why 4 numbers ?

Edited by Devilzibook, 16 April 2011 - 08:57 AM.

Posted Image

My name is Alex, and I am Quebecois ! Thank you.

One dream: BRING BACK THE NORDIQUES !!!

#145 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:37 AM

When you buy a lottery ticket, generally the way it works is you pick a set amount of numbers, and you win if all of your numbers are picked (regardless of order).

The the NHL draft lottery works the same way. 4 numbers are chosen out of the choices 1 through 14. They figure out all of the possible combinations of numbers (which equals 1001), and randomly assign combinations to each team. Some teams get assigned more number combinations based on their end of the season standings. The devils were assigned 36 out of 1001 number combinations if I am not mistaken.

The math for the total combination number works like this:

14x13x12x11=24,024
4x3x2x1=24
24,024/24=1001

#146 Devilzibook

Devilzibook

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 10:58 AM

When you buy a lottery ticket, generally the way it works is you pick a set amount of numbers, and you win if all of your numbers are picked (regardless of order).

The the NHL draft lottery works the same way. 4 numbers are chosen out of the choices 1 through 14. They figure out all of the possible combinations of numbers (which equals 1001), and randomly assign combinations to each team. Some teams get assigned more number combinations based on their end of the season standings. The devils were assigned 36 out of 1001 number combinations if I am not mistaken.

The math for the total combination number works like this:

14x13x12x11=24,024
4x3x2x1=24
24,024/24=1001

Nooow I understand :rolleyes: !! Thanks man
Posted Image

My name is Alex, and I am Quebecois ! Thank you.

One dream: BRING BACK THE NORDIQUES !!!

#147 thighway

thighway

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

RNH if he is avail.....

Otherwise, I would go Larsson, Hamilton or Beaulieu (in that order).
We have forward talent for years to come, and depth D but no #1.

I don't think we go BPA, I think we need to draft what we need (and 4th overall is way to high for our future goalie).
Though RNH and Larsson would fit BPA if still available at 4th.

#148 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:43 PM

RNH if he is avail.....

Otherwise, I would go Larsson, Hamilton or Beaulieu (in that order).
We have forward talent for years to come, and depth D but no #1.

Uh, no we don't. All of our legit forward prospects are either in the NHL or in the AHL. Not that this is a bad thing, but we have almost nothing coming up the pipeline beyond the current crop that are in the pros.

Our defensive prospects are also much better than just "depth D". Merrill could very well be a top-pairing defenseman down the line. Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon, etc. are all projected as potential mid-pairing guys as well. Hamilton and Beaulieu might be fine defensemen but it's not worth passing up on a potential elite forward for them. Larsson is the only defenseman we should take.

#149 thighway

thighway

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

Kovy's here for the next million years, hopefully Zach, Zajac and the "kids" Palmeiri / Josefson / Tedenby are all here for the long haul.
That is forward talent for quite some time.... aka years to come.

As for "D", your Mid Pairing comment is exactly why I suggest we use the pick to get a potential Doughty (unless RNH is available).
For whatever reason, I am big fan of Hamilton....

#150 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:57 PM

Kovy's here for the next million years, hopefully Zach, Zajac and the "kids" Palmeiri / Josefson / Tedenby are all here for the long haul.

Like I said, these players are all in the pros, and will have an impact on the immediate future. But we have no real top-6 forward prospects in college or juniors right now. That is not good.

#151 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:12 PM

As for "D", your Mid Pairing comment is exactly why I suggest we use the pick to get a potential Doughty (unless RNH is available).
For whatever reason, I am big fan of Hamilton....

We also have good defensive prospects right now in Jon Merrill and Brandon Burlon (both at Michigan), as well as Urbom and Eric Gelinas, the latter two are closer to the NHL than anyone we may draft defensively. Offensively, most of our top prospects are already in the NHL or just outside, i.e. Henrique. We are severely lacking anything offensively in terms of depth on the farm.

RNH is not going to be available. Out of all the rumored top 5 picks, he is the one name I dont think we have a shot at. Everyone else a case could be made for them to fall i.e. Larsson and Landeskog.

With Urbom and Gelinas relatively close, our lack of offensive depth should be the priority this draft, if and only if, Adam Larsson is there. He's pretty much a consensus "sure thing", or as close to one as you can get in scouting defense which takes longer to develop.

We also have to consider that Patrik Elias is getting older. Brian Rolston is gone after next year, Clarkson provides very little, and despite the first year successes of Palmieri, Josefson, and Tedenby, they may not maintain that success going forward. We can get an impact player on the offensive side of the puck right now with our top 5 pick.

#152 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,876 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 01:12 AM

one thing is that we're looking at a future with lots of skills but very little grit up front... thats something you really need in the playoffs

www.SterioDesign.com

#153 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 08:23 AM

the rugged player up front is usually cheap and not too hard to find around trade deadline. we can grab one from waivers.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#154 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:29 AM

the rugged player up front is usually cheap and not too hard to find around trade deadline. we can grab one from waivers.

We've got a legitimate chance to grab a future #1 center in the draft. Waivers? When was the last time we picked up someone from waivers that was worth a damn?

#155 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Rolston really turned his game around after we picked him up off waivers this year.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#156 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 12:42 PM

Rolston really turned his game around after we picked him up off waivers this year.

...and started playing him with Elias full-time.

#157 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,405 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:15 PM

Being stuck with a guy and picking up someone is a bit different, no?

#158 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 02:48 PM

ghdi is right about our prospect depth. If we were drafting for prospect needs, we would take a forward. That said, I think we'll be taking BPA at #4, because that's the right thing to do. For fun though, let's examine why forward prospects would be our current need.

We had some forward prospect depth recently, but now most of those promising players have graduated or about to. Our farm for promising forwards is pretty much down to Adam Henrique (with some unknowns being Mike Sislo, David Wohlberg, and Mike Hoeffel). The rest of our forwards are pretty much long-shots to reach their original potential at this point.

This lack of forward depth has come about quicker than expected due to the Devils playing most of the season with 4 rookie forwards in the lineup (and by trading away Halischuk, Bergfors, and Cormier in the last year). Now you could say that we're fine for a while because these recently graduated guys are young and will play for a long time, but ideally you always want to have balance in your system.

On defense, our promising prospect list has:
Merril
Urbom
Burlon
Gelinas
Sova (still mostly unknown)

Graduated, or close to it
Fayne
Taormina

That's a great list that has me pretty excited, but it's much longer than our list for promising forwards. Considering you need twice as many forwards in your lineup as you need dmen, I would say that our system is currently out of balance.

At #4, it's still got to be BPA all the way though. I think we'll see us trend with more forwards in the later rounds of the next few drafts though.

Edited by elias2600, 18 April 2011 - 02:49 PM.

#159 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 04:47 PM

I miss all the posters who regularly picked up on -- and ignored -- my subtle flights of sarcasm.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#160 insanity_gallops

insanity_gallops

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 05:02 PM

I miss all the posters who regularly picked up on -- and ignored -- my subtle flights of sarcasm.

Hey, I'm still along for the ride. Sarcasm's just a lost art on this board nowadays.

Sergei Brylin Award Winner: '04-'05, '05-'06
RD Avatar Award Winner: '05-'06, '06-'07, '07-'08, '09-'10

Thanks to LüZZo for the avatar!

"How can it be bullsh!t to state a preference?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users