Amazing!....... I have been a daily visitor to NJDevs.com for years and only read the "Hell" section, and occasionally the "The Rock" board. Well, after reading the latest post on our current losing streak, I decided to do a little surfing of the site and found this thread on my all time favorite subject. First, a little about myself. I am from Richmond, VA and have been a Devils fan since since theY were the Colorado Rockies( Denver Broncos fan here). So, living in Virginia, I just want to let you guys know first off, I didn't just jump onto the Devils bandwagon. How many KC Scouts fans are still around? I read the site daily, but seldom post as you might have noticed by the number of post I have made.
It took me about 3 hours to read through the 30 + pages on this thread. It is interesting how, just like in politics, how many opinions there are on beer brands. Yes, indeed, Opinions are like a-holes.....everyone has them !
I have been drinking beer since I was brave enough to sneak it out of the refrigerator, brewed my own beer back in the late '70's as a teenager, been collecting beer cans since I was 12, Collecting "breweriana" since I was in my early 20's, Been in the beer business, since I was 21( I'm almost 49). I am a member of the American Breweriana Association, and I am very much into the history aspect of the brewing industry.
None of the above makes me an expert on beer, beer styles, or what makes a great beer. With that being said, I find it almost hilarious how someone who drinks Heineken, Stella Artois, or Budweiser thinks they know beer !
In no particular order, here are some random thoughts that I jotted down while reading through this awesome thread......
1. "devilsfan26" know his stuff and I agree with ALMOST everything you have said concerning the beer business in general. If we ever meet, I think we could spend hours discussing the "biz".
2. Support your local brewery. Unless it is the local Anheuser-Busch InBev plant.
3. Just because it sells for $9 to $10 a 6-pack, does not make it a good beer ( i.e. Corona Light )
4. I think Blue Moon Belgian White is the nastiest liquid ever put into a beer bottle, but a lot of people absolutely love it. I actually like the Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin Ale.
5. Be thankful for the Blue Moons and Lienenkugels of the world. Even thought the are owned by the "Big 3", they are gateway craft beers for many that leads to people trying out the local and regional craft beers eventually.
6. Just because it is sold cheap, doesn't make it a bad beer. This subject gets me riled up quick as my favorite all time beer is Carling Black Label .
7. If craft beers are overpowering to you and light beer leaves you wanting more. Yuengling has a style for every taste and all their beers are done very well.
8. How many of you know that Newark has a ton of history of brewing beer? Ballantine, Krueger, & Pabst were huge there "back in the day"
9. All of the above were pretty much put out of business by the mass-marketing tactics of the evil empire Anhueser-Busch
10. When doing beer tastings, always go from lighter styles to heavier styles. Never start out with an IPA then wonder why the stout or pilsener you followed with taste like dirty ass. Eat a piece of bread or light cracker between beer sampling's.
11. My second favorite beer is Sam Adams Octoberfest.
12. I support the 2nd. Amendment,but also support stricter gun laws, However, people who support A-B or drink Budweiser and Bud Light should be shot on site!
13. Yes, the "Corzman 69" does indeed refer to Coors.(don't shoot !) I love Coors Banquet, but at 5% abv, I can't pound em like I used to!
14. Flyers suck!
15. If you didn't already know, Goose island is also owned by A-B. So is Rolling Rock.
16. I have my own beer website. It is devoted to Carling Black Label, but don't let that stop you for visiting and checking it out. www.heymabelblacklabel.com
I even have a link to NJDevs on there!
17. If I absolutely have to drink a "light beer" It is usually a Miller Lite. Again, DON'T SHOOT!
18. If you made it this far, I'm impressed, pour yourself a beer !
19. If the Devils don't start playing like we all know they are capable of, it might drive me to drinkin'
20. I start way too many sentences with "if"....sorry!
21. Friends don't let friends drink Budweiser.
22. I sell many but not all beers from all the major breweries,a-b inbev, millercoors, Sam, Yuengling, etc. but I am still open minded enough to say I'll take a PBR over a Heineken any day. I don't care how much it costs or who brews it.
23. Lets Go Devils!!!!
24. Again, please visit my website and have a great day!