Hales Performance

coldply123

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as a rookie is paired with a vet, ala white/rafalski of 2000, doesn't bother me how many rookies we use on the blueline...sounds like an echo eh DonW ;)

We'd have a problem with 4, I think. (-:

Play Hale in regular season = very good

Playing Hale in post season = not so good

Playing Brown in regular season= not so good

Playing Brown in playoffs = Late April Tee Times

Play White in regular season 2000 = very good

Play White in post season 2000 = good

Play Hale in post season 2003 = see no difference

(But mucho-agreeo on the Brown assessment)

Edited by Don Whiting

You seen what happened when we dumped, Souray, Smith, Mitchell, and Zyuzin.

Souray: Was a mistake, but you have to give to get. We gave away Souray, got Malakhov, and won a Cup.

Jason Smith: Again, we were able to land the best center the franchise as ever seen, and had to give up something for him. I didn't like sending Smitty away, but at that point we were dealing from stregnth.

Mitchell: Enough with this Willie Mitchell garbage. He's flourishing in Lemaire's system. Let's not make this guy out to be Chris Chelios. He's only a mistake if you compare the way he is now against what he was with the Devils, which was worse than Dean.

Zyuzin: You can't be serious. First of all, we didn't draft him. Second, he scored THREE points in 38 games back in 01-02. He's had 16 points and 18 points in two years with the Wild; Martin has 15 this season, and actually plays defense, too.

The Devils have made their mistakes--Souray being one of them--but let's not pretend that guys who are plus-players under Lemaire would be the same some place else.

<JESTER>

Yup, Zyu was put on waivers because there was no room in New Jersey, it was not Lou's intentions to get rid of him (from my understanding), but what are ya going to do? I really don't think you can lump him in with the rest of the players anyways, he wasn't drafted by the Devils! I think New Jersey took him on as a project, they didn't seem to expect much out of him. There's no real loss there.

Mitchell, while a Devil, sucked. He took many bad penalties and just did not look good. That's great that he's doing well in Minny, and I do wish we had the Mitchell of TODAY on our team, but again, what are ya gonna do?

Woulda coulda shoulda...

RE: Souray. As I mentioned in another thread, I don't think it was a mistake. I wasn't playing well here, he admits himself that he didn't take his career seriously. He was a young guy making more money than he ever dreamed of and didn't put the effort in every night. That's not the kind of guy Lou keeps around. He was pulling the same crap in Montreal right up until his injury.

RE: Jason Smith: Yeah, we landed Gilmour for 1.25 years. Wasn't worth it. And it didn't work at all. "Pass Gilmour the Puck" didn't work for us any more than "Pass Gretzky the Puck" worked for the Rangers. Stupid trade. Though 99.9% of Devils fans disagree with me on that.

RE: Mitchell, Zyuzin... they were not great here. I think Lemaire has the anti-Sather tough. As soon as someone joins the Rangers, they automatically suck. As soon as someone plays for Minnesota, they play great. I think Jacques plays a huge part in that.

Edited by Don Whiting

RE: Jason Smith: Yeah, we landed Gilmour for 1.25 years. Wasn't worth it. And it didn't work at all. "Pass Gilmour the Puck" didn't work for us any more than "Pass Gretzky the Puck" worked for the Rangers. Stupid trade. Though 99.9% of Devils fans disagree with me on that.

I went back and checked what I wrote at the time of the trade. I said I hated giving up Sully more than Smith, and I stand by that.

After Gilmour left, I called it "a waste of a trade," and I stand by that, too.

I think the Devils took their shot, and lost on Killer.

<JESTER>

All I know is that when Lou acquires a defenseman, and when Stevens comes back, Hale will be the one who loses his regular playing time..........

I disagree. I believe that having Gilmour around greatly affected the development of the young players that we had at the time i.e Sykora, Elias and so on

Hale's doing a fine job for a rookie, he will develop into an excellent defenceman. It would be totally assinine to piss him away because he's not a rookie of the year candidate...

Zyuzin was a mistake and should have been given a fair chance to succeed instead of wasting the 3 plus million on the grossly overpaid, underachiever that is Tvrodovsky...

also I don't know why some of you on this board bash Sean Brown...

he has played great, has done everything asked of him, good physical presence, does not turn over the puck, and clears the front of the net...

bottom line, the Devils need to get Stevens back...and friesen/madden/langenbrunner all need to step up and put some pucks in the net...

Hale's doing a fine job for a rookie, he will develop into an excellent defenceman. It would be totally assinine to piss him away because he's not a rookie of the year candidate...

Zyuzin was a mistake and should have been given a fair chance to succeed instead of wasting the 3 plus million on the grossly overpaid, underachiever that is Tvrodovsky...

also I don't know why some of you on this board bash Sean Brown...

he has played great, has done everything asked of him, good physical presence, does not turn over the puck, and clears the front of the net...

bottom line, the Devils need to get Stevens back...and friesen/madden/langenbrunner all need to step up and put some pucks in the net...

Finally! A voice of reason.

Brown stinks.........Hales been bad lately.......Stevens is a question mark.......we need a defenseman......Lou realizes that

Define "fine." Because I see Martin, and I think that's fine. He has his points, makes his mistakes and his big plays. Tell me what you've seen from Hale that makes you believe, without a doubt, that he will blossom into an excellent defenseman. You see the next Niedermayer, and I see a journeyman.

Zyuzin was a mistake and should have been given a fair chance to succeed instead of wasting the 3 plus million on the grossly overpaid,  underachiever that is Tvrodovsky...

Tver came over to balance the Sykora trade money-wise and talent wise.

As for Zyuzin, it's revisionist history. He was given 38 games in 01-02, ans scored three points. Are 38 games not a fair chance?

<JESTER>

Define "fine." Because I see Martin, and I think that's fine. He has his points, makes his mistakes and his big plays. Tell me what you've seen from Hale that makes you believe, without a doubt, that he will blossom into an excellent defenseman. You see the next Niedermayer, and I see a journeyman.

Zyuzin was a mistake and should have been given a fair chance to succeed instead of wasting the 3 plus million on the grossly overpaid,
Edited by RoughDraft

Roughdraft, I think there needs to be more stiffer enforcement of some of the personal attacks posts........

I see a better-than-journeyman player in David Hale. He's had his struggles, but with confidence, he will get better. He will be playing playoff hockey, too, most likely.

And how anyone can say that Willie Mitchell wasn't good in NJ is beyond me, considering he got a cup of coffee here. And give the guy some credit, he's an outstanding, physical, imposing player. The Lemaire comment is cheap.