Dreger: NHL Planning Winter Classic in Philly

Devils Dose

Dreger Report saying that NHL wants the 2012 Classic to be hosted by the Flyers.

Amid months of speculation, sources confirm Philadelphia is the leading candidate for next year's Winter Classic.

He appears to be confirming that NHL already tried to get Lincoln Financial Field, but the NFL's schedule makers have not been willing to help. It's not official yet, and the Rangers haven't heard from the league so far.

I think the league really wants to do the Classic in football stadiums from now on, but keeping the game on New Year's Day makes that so logistically tough. Still, I'd bet that they will only change their apparent desired match-up if they can get a football stadium that they want elsewhere. Weird that they're shunning the West (though it's all about money anyway, not fairness).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the league really wants to do the Classic in football stadiums from now on, but keeping the game on New Year's Day makes that so logistically tough. Still, I'd bet that they will only change their apparent desired match-up if they can get a football stadium that they want elsewhere. Weird that they're shunning the West (though it's all about money anyway, not fairness).

Well you're just not going to get the Winter Classic in California or the south because they're not as likely to have cold enough weather for it. And it'd be pretty odd to have a West team come East, there aren't any Lakers-Celtics type bicoastal rivalries in the NHL.

They can't have it on New Year's Day this year unless they want to commit ratings suicide and go up against the NFL Week 17 (assuming the NFL doesn't implode with this lockout).

Well you're just not going to get the Winter Classic in California or the south because they're not as likely to have cold enough weather for it.

True. The only team west of the Mississippi that could realistically host the Winter Classic is Colorado, and again, you have NFL issues to deal with. Depending on how tolerant of temperatures you're willing to get, you might be able to do it in San Jose; average temperature that time of year is the high 40s with average highs in the mid 50s. Except I don't know where you'd have the game; Spartan Stadium only seats a little over 30,000. Might have to move it to San Francisco or Oakland.

(I know, St. Louis is west of the Mississippi too, but it's on the river, so it doesn't count for the purposes of this discussion. Besides, the Rams' stadium is indoors.)

And it'd be pretty odd to have a West team come East, there aren't any Lakers-Celtics type bicoastal rivalries in the NHL.

I could see them trying Kings-Bruins (an attempt to capitalize on Lakers-Celtics) or Kings-Rangers (the top 2 TV markets), but that's about it.

The one thing that gets me pumped for the Winter Classic is the throwback jerseys. Unfortunately that won't happen this year, since the Flyers will probably just reuse their orange ones, and the Rangers will be wearing their heritage jerseys from this year. :urg:

Can they at least stop with the soul-less baseball stadiums with no history? These games should be played in football stadiums

If you had bothered to read you'd know that they tried to get the football stadium (which likewise has no soul or history) but the NFL wouldn't cooperate.

Can they at least stop with the soul-less baseball stadiums with no history? These games should be played in football stadiums

Wrigley & Fenway have no history? Citizens Bank might be new, but 2 World Series = some history.

Yea, Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. Arguably two of the most recognizable stadiums in professional sports in this country and both amongst the oldest and most historical lol.

Do ever bother reading before you post ANY of your opinions?

Well you're just not going to get the Winter Classic in California or the south because they're not as likely to have cold enough weather for it.

The NHL held an exhibition game in September 1991 at the Caesars Palace outdoor arena in Las Vegas, where the Rangers and Kings skated in 85-degree weather.

Likely the conditions were bad so they haven't tried it again.

Citizens Bank is gorgeous and unlike Fenway and Wrigley is basically designed as a square with a horseshoed upper deck with the open end in left field. My preference would be for the rink to be placed with one end in LF and the other on the infield. Personally I'd rather the game be at UPenn's Franklin Field but that won't happen thanks to zero skybox and club seat ammenities.

I'm not a huge fan of Rangers-Flyers in terms of teams but understand the reasoning behind it.

1- The Penguins-Capitals rivalry pumped new juice into the event and created must-see TV in HBO's 24/7. Now enter personallities such as Torts, Avery, Pronger, Carcillo, etc. plus NYR fans vs. Philly fans. This was made for HBO as I see the NHL really going for rivalries for this game in the future.

2- The only western teams with any national juice are Chicago and Detroit on top of all potential western conference hosts (Minnesota, Colorado, St. Louis, Columbus) all stink. San Jose and LA have a time zone problems, questions with ice making, and facility problems.

3- The NHL's wanted the Rangers in the game for a while for obvious reasons but Yankee Stadium (bowl game), Citi Field (Wilpon $$ problems), the Meadowlands (Devils block) prevent them from hosting.

4- Comcast/NBC/Universal owns the Flyers and this is a carrott for the new US television deal.

Yea, Wrigley Field and Fenway Park. Arguably two of the most recognizable stadiums in professional sports in this country and both amongst the oldest and most historical lol.

Do ever bother reading before you post ANY of your opinions?

Hey douchebag did i indicate i didnt read the article? Did i suggest wrigley and fenway did not have history? Was i referring to the past parks used or future grounds theyre considering? Obviously the latter since Fenway and Wrigley have been around forever. Go find some ninja pictures you child.

Rangers vs. Flyers for the 2012 Winter Classic....makes me want to :puke:

Why the Flyers again? The NHL really does not know how to pick these Winter Classics anymore. Seriously they could have had 2 new teams instead of just one. What BS. Not worth watching if it is the Rangers and Flyers.