Blurb on Jagr & Devils

Rock

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/hockey-world/Hockey+World/4785893/story.html

It's just speculation, I don't see it happening (with the Devils). I thought I heard he was going to sign a 1 year deal with his Russian team. Anyway, something different in this long off-season.

- I see Jaromir Jagr giving the NHL one last whirl, figuring if Teemu Selanne can still be lighting it up at 40, so can he at 39. He’ll choose a team with a Czech presence (Montreal with Tomas Plekanec, New Jersey with Patrik Elias) or be back with the Pittsburgh Penguins for a swan song, in a city with easy travel that is also a Stanley Cup contender. Likely no rebuilding clubs for him, which would put the Edmonton Oilers out of the equation. How much do you pay Jagr? How about the Selanne neighbourhood: $3.25-million salary with about $1 million in bonuses for goals, points and games played.

Edited by Rock

I dont want Jagr. Hes a skilled player but IMO his NHL career is over and he is washed up.

Where are you getting that he's washed up?

If we could jettison Rolston, I'd replace him with Jagr in a heartbeat. The problems we have fitting Jagr are purely salary and current roster status. It'd much more advantageous having him than Rolston on a line with Elias.

His NHL career is "over" because he chooses to play elsewhere. He's still averaging a point a game in the KHL, and while the competition level is not the NHL, it still shows that he can play and he's had virtually no injuries in almost a decade. He's also been great in the Worlds. His last year in the NHL, just 3 years ago, he had 71 points.

He's still producing at a high level, but he is older and would cost too much for us to consider right now.

No injuries in a decade? Didn't he hurt himself trying to punch Gomez in the 2006 playoffs? Say no to Jagr, let his nostalgic return burden another team. As a matter of fact, he would be perfect for the Rangers!

He missed one game that entire season including the playoffs. The injury statement was based on major injuries, he's been a workhorse for a long time now.

Edited by ghdi

His NHL career is "over" because he chooses to play elsewhere. He's still averaging a point a game in the KHL, and while the competition level is not the NHL, it still shows that he can play and he's had virtually no injuries in almost a decade. He's also been great in the Worlds. His last year in the NHL, just 3 years ago, he had 71 points.

That's just it, three years ago he had a season that wasn't exactly top-notch and he's three years older now. It's a little different playing overseas and in international tournaments than it is day-in day-out in the NHL.

That's just it, three years ago he had a season that wasn't exactly top-notch and he's three years older now. It's a little different playing overseas and in international tournaments than it is day-in day-out in the NHL.

This isn't a new guy to the league we're talking about. Jagr knows the grind of the NHL. He knows what to expect. He is older but he's still playing at a high level in terms of his production. A PPG average in the KHL and a PPG average in the IIHF competitions shows that he's still producing and he's playing entire seasons for the most part. "Wasnt exactly top notch"? 71 points from a 36 year old isn't impressive? That playoff year (07-08) he had 15 points in 10 playoff games as well. That's a damn good season for just about anyone.

If he wasn't playing at all you'd have a point. He's still playing the game and he's still producing.

Edited by ghdi

If we could jettison Rolston, I'd replace him with Jagr in a heartbeat.

Agreed. There isn't a single NHL team that Jagr wouldn't contribute positively to in my opinion. The reason he's not in the NHL is that he's getting payed $5 mill a year elsewhere playing half as many games. (Rolston doesn't even compare to Jagr. It's mindboggling that they are cashing in similar salaries.)

Agreed. There isn't a single NHL team that Jagr wouldn't contribute positively to in my opinion. The reason he's not in the NHL is that he's getting payed $5 mill a year elsewhere playing half as many games. (Rolston doesn't even compare to Jagr. It's mindboggling that they are cashing in similar salaries.)

if Rolston can make 5m here can you imagine what he could get in the KHL !

.....mmmm oh wait... maybe not :P

I wouldn't mind Jagr... but not at the money that they are talking about. The guy can still play but on a one year contract with our current cap situation, I'd take him at max 3 mil.

I would take him in a second for a sub-$2M price tag plus hefty bonuses for performance. He's still good for a 60-70 point season, especially if he has bonuses waiting for him. Anyone who doesn't think so is deluding themselves.

Edited by Amberite

I would take him in a second for a sub-$2M price tag plus hefty bonuses for performance. He's still good for a 60-70 point season, especially if he has bonuses waiting for him. Anyone who doesn't think so is deluding themselves.

for the 2011-12 season, 'hefty bonuses' count against the cap whether or not they're achieved.

he's spent 3 years in the KHL, you really can't say this with any confidence. i believe he could get 60-70 points in a soft minutes, power play heavy role, but he's never been good on defense and his speed is gone.

Edited by Triumph

Where are you getting that he's washed up?

If we could jettison Rolston, I'd replace him with Jagr in a heartbeat. The problems we have fitting Jagr are purely salary and current roster status. It'd much more advantageous having him than Rolston on a line with Elias.

He's still producing at a high level, but he is older and would cost too much for us to consider right now.

Look at Mike Modano. 2 years ago he was a 40 plus point scorer, now hes an 8. 3 years out of the NHL is a long time.

Look at Mike Modano. 2 years ago he was a 40 plus point scorer, now hes an 8. 3 years out of the NHL is a long time.

I don't think Modano is a fair comparison. Its a very extreme comparison. He played in only 40 games and was mostly relegated to the 3rd or 4th line and played sparingly on a stacked team. He's also had a lot of health issues the last 2 seasons. Jagr has not had that.

3 years is a long time out of the NHL, but he's still been playing hockey the entire time and the fewer games in the KHL means he doesnt have the same amount of mileage as another guy would. It's by no means a sure thing, but a risk on Jagr is a safer risk than some other moves this team could make.

The only point I'm trying to make is that if this team could afford him and we didn't have the albatross of Brian Rolston on the roster (neither of which we do), it would be a worthwhile risk on a 1 year deal.