Which apartment?

Blown01NJ

Gotta live in CT for a couple months for work. Both these places are in the same location and they are the same price.

They both have pretty meh bathrooms.

First one:

Pool-2.jpg

4604294.jpg

9847458.jpg

1498304.jpg

8560599.jpg

7972835.jpg

This one has:

-950 sq feet

-Mid rise

-Ridiculously huge walk in closet

-Bigger apartment all around

-Balcony

-Big, but older style kitchen

-Raquet ball, basketball courts on site

-Laundry in unit

-Pool

-42inch TV in living room

Second one:

BL010164.JPG

0044861.jpg

2297710.jpg

6513539.jpg

5440421.jpg

0777380.jpg

This one has:

-750 square feet

-High rise building (10th Floor)

-Kinda cool views of the city

-Pool

-Newer but smaller kitchen

-Smaller apartment overall

-32inch TV in living room

-Balcony

-Walk in closet

-Laundry in unit

Edited by Blown01NJ

I'm guessing you're staying here as a extended stay place for work and as somebody who did a very similar gig for three years, let me give a taste of what I look for in a place:

1) Kitchen Size: If you're staying someplace for two months, you wont be eating out every night, so the best kitchen usually wins out for me. Place Number One looks to have a bigger kitchen plus it has a dishwasher, which #2 didn't seem to have

2) Location: The closer to the place you're working at, the better, but I will always sacrifice commute for livability, but that's just me. These places are in the same location, but I would look at availability to the highway, parking and things like that. Also, always look for what's in the area. A place may be beautiful, but if it's the middle of farmland with nothing around it, that's going to stink. Places around shopping centers are always great as there usually some variety in eating andif you're bored, there's always the mall.

3) Amenities - This is usually pretty sparce in Extended Stay apartments but a big deal if you're on a shorter trip and staying at a Residence Inn / Honmeland Suites type of place. Location 1's pool is a big plus for me.

For me, I'd vote number 1 with everything else being equal. Safe travels!

I'm guessing you're staying here as a extended stay place for work and as somebody who did a very similar gig for three years, let me give a taste of what I look for in a place:

1) Kitchen Size: If you're staying someplace for two months, you wont be eating out every night, so the best kitchen usually wins out for me. Place Number One looks to have a bigger kitchen plus it has a dishwasher, which #2 didn't seem to have

2) Location: The closer to the place you're working at, the better, but I will always sacrifice commute for livability, but that's just me. These places are in the same location, but I would look at availability to the highway, parking and things like that. Also, always look for what's in the area. A place may be beautiful, but if it's the middle of farmland with nothing around it, that's going to stink. Places around shopping centers are always great as there usually some variety in eating andif you're bored, there's always the mall.

3) Amenities - This is usually pretty sparce in Extended Stay apartments but a big deal if you're on a shorter trip and staying at a Residence Inn / Honmeland Suites type of place. Location 1's pool is a big plus for me.

For me, I'd vote number 1 with everything else being equal. Safe travels!

Thanks for the info. They both have dishwashers. They are both in apartment buildings and companies rent out a block of rooms to lease to business travelers. Most of the people in the complexes are full time residents. They are both ~6 miles from the location.

I did find an apartment a mile from the location, but its a duplex with shared washer/dryer and no other amenities. It is also cheaper than these two, and although it is right near the job site, there isnt much going on whereas these two are in a city.

I'd agree with BP, best kitchen seems to be the first and that's what I'd go with...especially since they see so similiar in other aspects. The first seems to be overall a little more spacious, or at least well designed enough to seem that way.

I'd agree with BP, best kitchen seems to be the first and that's what I'd go with...especially since they see so similiar in other aspects. The first seems to be overall a little more spacious, or at least well designed enough to seem that way.

Kitchen 1 is certainly bigger, but I wouldnt call it better. Its more dated and ugly, but as far as function goes I suppose that doesnt matter.

Men are very different from women. Who really cares about a kitchen? No need for a dishwashing machine with one person. No need for a BIG kitchen - in fact a galley kitchen is easier if it's just for one. Yeah -- only the Bathtub is an issue for me -- but you said they both are the same.

honestly -- it makes ZERO difference which you chose. Identical location, the only amenity I see worth anything is the pool/gym. Are they actually something you would be comfortable using? If they're gross IRL then who cares even.

I personally am not a fan of a high-rise. BUT they do afford an element of safety.

Where is that anyhow? If your in Stamford location is meaningless... if you're in Hartford location is meaningless, if you're in Waterbury location... meaningless. Basically you're screwed no matter where because everything is pretty much equidistant in CT.

Personally - I'd commute :P well actually I'd live with my parents in New Haven :P

From whence I speak: actress - lived in hotels, local theatre fan homes (sometimes with said fans in residence and some away traveling - THAT sucked - they thought I was some piggy whore when they came back and the neighbors told of piano blaring parties all night and one of her washclothes had an impenetrable mascara stain! :o ) worst of course was a short term residence in Springfield MA. Got robbed while at work. Nice coming home to a trashed place at 2 am <_< Best was honestly staying in someone's home. My personal favorite was Esther Harrock in Beverly MA. She was about 80 but a real ass kicker! I love meeting people - working in their environment. I also loved the Hoopers in Corning NY. They worked at the plant for years and their house was amazing - the town was fascinating. The plant had only just closed down -or was in the process. Ivoryton Ct was the worst but only AFTER the fact when the people came home and I had to hear it from my employer. OH -- in Sanibel I lived at the theatre -- that made for some interesting evenings... :uni:

Edited by Pepperkorn

my Dad did it for 2 years... Long Island to Trumble -- psycho.

you coudl train it... 2 hours on a train ain't so bad -- but why bother, right?

Stamford sucks. I feel for you dude. Just make sure you're close to the train for weekends! Are they both close enough to the station? Does one or both have shuttle service to and from? it's another thought.

• 3 weeks later...