Thrashers' rollercoaster ride hurtling toward Winnipeg?

thefiestygoat

LOLWUT

The Quebec Nordiques and the original Winnipeg Jets would like to have a word with you, sir. For that matter, so would the Hartford Whalers. :dizzy:

But maxpower's question stands: What was the league supposed to do? Force the ownership to retain the team for another year? Anyone trying to compare Atlanta to Phoenix conveniently leaves out the fact that the two situations are drastically different.

Lol of course the Jets and Nordiques, but the Flames, Oilers, Sens, and even Habs almost left the country in the 90's.

Im not comparing Phx to Atl at all. And at this late stage Atlanta didnt have a chance. But, Im saying Bettman must have known of the Thrashers' situation for a long time. Was he working to find potential owners and/or negotiating with Atlanta Spirit Group to get better lease terms the past year? I didnt hear anything about that.

But again, my biggest beef w this whole thing was lamenting the lack of money/American exposure to the game in a place like Winnipeg.

Edited by devlman

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bettman basically admitted in an interview 6 months ago that the ASG was totally screwed up. again, assuming maxpower's comment is correct about the ASG owners wanting the home dates for other stuff, that's going to be the end of any negotiation.

bettman basically admitted in an interview 6 months ago that the ASG was totally screwed up. again, assuming maxpower's comment is correct about the ASG owners wanting the home dates for other stuff, that's going to be the end of any negotiation.

If I'm not mistaken, he's correct. I think Bettman said something to the effect in a post-press conference interview on NHL Network. I was only half paying attention, but I'd swear he said something along those lines.

Also there was a rumor than Anson Carter (totally random :lol:) had assembled a group awhile back, to attempt to buy the Thrashers and ASG blew him off. If true, that would add more credence they had no use for the Thrashers having the dates, no matter what.

Edited by maxpower

Lol of course the Jets and Nordiques, but the Flames, Oilers, Sens, and even Habs almost left the country in the 90's.

Im not comparing Phx to Atl at all. And at this late stage Atlanta didnt have a chance. But, Im saying Bettman must have known of the Thrashers' situation for a long time. Was he working to find potential owners and/or negotiating with Atlanta Spirit Group to get better lease terms the past year? I didnt hear anything about that.

But again, my biggest beef w this whole thing was lamenting the lack of money/American exposure to the game in a place like Winnipeg.

The Oilers, in there darkest hour were nearly sold to a group out of Houston. The Flames, Sens, and Habs were never close to leaving canada.

I seem to remember the Flames being courted by the same Houston group.

I'll take your word, but I don't think some slimey oilmen from TX kicking the tires of the Calgary Flames qualifies them as "almost moving"

• 3 weeks later...

It'd be pretty sweet if they chose to announce it during their draft pick, actually.

"The Winninpeg _____ select.." and then reveal the jerseys at the same time.

If only you worked for their marketing and PR department, It'd be the most watched draft in history... well at least in Canada.