What will the Winnipeg "Trashers" Be Named?

Quinn01

Winnnipeg already lost a team before? Why give them a second chance if giving Atlanta a second chance was such a mistake? Hypocrite.

Winnipeg didn't lose a team, they had a team taken from them for economic fears and unreasonable demands by Gary Buttman(which strangely enough don't exist for the Phoenix market) The fans of Winnipeg in 1996 are light years ahead of the fans of Atlanta in 2011.

Nobody is saying Winnipeg will be this great incredible future Toronto as a hockey market. All that it needs to be is a stronger hockey market than Atlanta...which is a virtual certaintly.

Edited by '7'

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Well, that would certainly be awkward! Can't imagine having an NHL and AHL team with the same exact name.

Like the NJ Devils and our collection of minor league teams also called Devils? ;)

But seriously, why all this Winnipeg hate here? I mean, hell, I've never been near the place, but being a Jerseyan I'm reluctant to throw stones. Newark isn't exactly Paris and Trenton, Camden, and so on could all use some work (and I'm being generous.... And I love Trenton). From the sound of it, Winnipeg like a colder version of Newark. So why not root for them? Owell, I don't understand....

Edit: damn iPad keeps "correcting" me with things like he'll in place of hell. Grrrrr!

Edited by AEWHistory

I just feel for the fans of the Thrashers, considering how close we were to losing our team in '95.

Also, on the naming front, let's go soccer-style and have a Winnepeg Somethings-style name. Nah, let's think outside of the box: First ever sports franchised named for an internet meme started by a rich celebrity cokehead.

That's right, I vote we call the new team, simply...#WINNINGpeg.

Winnipeg didn't lose a team, they had a team taken from them for economic fears

So did the Cleveland Browns who became the Baltimore Ravens.

The Browns got their team, their colors, and most importantly, their history given back to them with the rebirth of their franchise, which never should have left.

Jets it is. And go back to the old uniforms.

So did the Cleveland Browns who became the Baltimore Ravens.

The Browns got their team, their colors, and most importantly, their history given back to them with the rebirth of their franchise, which never should have left.

Jets it is. And go back to the old uniforms.

In defense of Modell, it was the Cleveland politicians that forced the Browns to move. They built new stadiums for lesser attractions like the Indians and Cavaliers while Cleveland Stadium was falling apart.

I remember ESPN did something called 5 Reasons you can't blame Art Model, which was very, very interesting background.

I agree: JETS.

In defense of Modell, it was the Cleveland politicians that forced the Browns to move. They built new stadiums for lesser attractions like the Indians and Cavaliers while Cleveland Stadium was falling apart.

I remember ESPN did something called 5 Reasons you can't blame Art Model, which was very, very interesting background.

I agree: JETS.

I'd like Winnipeg to resume operating under the Jets moniker as well. However, as to the story on Modell and the Browns, it sounds like ESPN presented an...let's call it a highly edited account of events. Wikipedia has a fairly in depth article on the Browns relocation (I'll try to post when I'm not on my iPad... I'm still getting used to this thing) but frankly there isn't much there to support the assertion that Modell didn't screw up royally and then tried to hold the city of Cleveland hostage to make up for his mistakes. But then again I'm not very sympathetic to the Browns, Colts and so on, so I have my own bias here.....

Aaron

Edited by AEWHistory