music thread

Par9

Streetlight is apparently working on a new cd as is Less Than Jake. I am sad that Scotty K The trumpet player from RBF left. It wont be the same but still awesome. Did you hear LTJ's new EP Greetings from Less Than Jake? Its an awesome EP. Back to their old sound rather then what they sounded like on In with the out croud.

I love Starland but if I get the opportunity to see the same concert at The Chance in Poughkeepsie I take that. That place imo is alot better then Starland. You can be outside of the pit up a step above and still be within 50 feet of the stage.

Glad to see another person on here that knows Ska. :cheers:

nice, im happy they're working on a new cd, and i haven't heard anything new from LTJ in awhile and ill take a listen to that EP

I would have gone to the show in NYC @ the Best Buy theater, but im gonna be on vacation, so this was the only show i could go to.

yess, always nice to see someone who likes ska... def rare now

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching a lot of MTV30 this weekend on VH1 Classic. They've only showed a few actual videos and VMA and Unplugged musical performances, but nevertheless so far it has been a nice trip down memory lane.

This performance by LL Cool J on MTV Unplugged, which they showed, was one of my favorite Unplugged performances of all time (with Nirvana a close second):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9OqHL8EFU

I've been watching a lot of MTV30 this weekend on VH1 Classic. They've only showed a few actual videos and VMA and Unplugged musical performances, but nevertheless so far it has been a nice trip down memory lane.

This performance by LL Cool J on MTV Unplugged, which they showed, was one of my favorite Unplugged performances of all time (with Nirvana a close second):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9OqHL8EFU

Nice. Nirvana's still tops for me when it comes to Unplugged (it almost feels ridiculous to say that because it's just SO prevalent and overplayed, but it's really the best Unplugged hands down).

Did you notice 120 Minutes is back? Started up last night at 1 AM on MTV2. I caught the first hour before crashing out, it seems like it's gonna be pretty good (might be a little too heavy on the interviews, but still).

Nice. Nirvana's still tops for me when it comes to Unplugged (it almost feels ridiculous to say that because it's just SO prevalent and overplayed, but it's really the best Unplugged hands down).

Did you notice 120 Minutes is back? Started up last night at 1 AM on MTV2. I caught the first hour before crashing out, it seems like it's gonna be pretty good (might be a little too heavy on the interviews, but still).

Agree with you on the Nirvana unplugged man. Also psyched that 120 minutes is back with Pinfield hosting it! They even pimped out one of my new favorite bands The Joy Formidable right away! Here is their song "Whirring":

I'm in love with their entire debut album, definitely check it out if you haven't!

I also can't get this song that I saw on 120 Minutes out of my head, I absolutely love it! Dom - "Living In America":

To Microwave and Quinn, you have a third person here who's been listening to ska since the late ninties, so cheers! :cheers:

Just heard that Scott is leaving RBF, and that's a shame. To me, Aaron, Scott and Matt Wong are the core of RBF and it will be interesting to see how the band evolves without Scott. Haven't seen them live in quite some time.

As for Streetlight, I'm psyched to hear they are working on new music as they are pretty much the only band out there doing something different with the ska genre. As for LTJ, I didn't pick up the EP but I do have GNV FLA which is fairly decent, much better than In With The Out Crowd. So long as they write good hooks and stick to what thye do bets, their always a good time.

Also, while it's a bit old by now, the latest album from The Mighty Mighty Bosstones is really fantastic. They went back to writing simple, catchy ska tunes and the result is their bets work in quite some time. Was a random buy but glad I did so.

Oh, and I was minutes away from going to that Tomas acoustic show in NYC a few months back. Just didn't get there and from the sounds of it, I missed a good one.

I also can't get this song that I saw on 120 Minutes out of my head, I absolutely love it! Dom - "Living In America":

DOM are a freakin hilarious band. The singer - Dom - refuses to give his last name, because he says he owes people money in Massachusetts and doesn't want to pay it back.

He also said in an interview with Pitchfork that this song, Bochicha (written about his cat, apparently) was used as a goal song by the Worchester Sharks. But when the writer/editor called to confirm, the Sharks said they've never played the song before. You gotta love a band that just says sh!t for the sake of saying it. :lol:

I'm definitely checking them out for a bit at Lollapalooza. It's a shame that Joy Formidable are playing at the same time as Titus Andronicus, because there's just no way in hell I'm missing the only Jersey band on the lineup (and a fvcking awesome Jersey band at that):

To Microwave and Quinn, you have a third person here who's been listening to ska since the late ninties, so cheers! :cheers:

Just heard that Scott is leaving RBF, and that's a shame. To me, Aaron, Scott and Matt Wong are the core of RBF and it will be interesting to see how the band evolves without Scott. Haven't seen them live in quite some time.

As for Streetlight, I'm psyched to hear they are working on new music as they are pretty much the only band out there doing something different with the ska genre. As for LTJ, I didn't pick up the EP but I do have GNV FLA which is fairly decent, much better than In With The Out Crowd. So long as they write good hooks and stick to what thye do bets, their always a good time.

Also, while it's a bit old by now, the latest album from The Mighty Mighty Bosstones is really fantastic. They went back to writing simple, catchy ska tunes and the result is their bets work in quite some time. Was a random buy but glad I did so.

Oh, and I was minutes away from going to that Tomas acoustic show in NYC a few months back. Just didn't get there and from the sounds of it, I missed a good one.

Matt Wong left RBF back in 2007 also. I hate when my favorite bands members go their own ways but both of them left the band to pursue a family and other things. I know Wong is making his own beats, I forget what name hes under now.

I have never really been able to get THAT into the bosstones but I do have all of their music and listen to them quite a bit. If Toh Kay does another acoustic show.....I expect both of you to be there with me. hahaha It was the best show I have ever been to.

Here's my favorite song from LTJ's new EP Greetings From Less Than Jake (even though the whole ep is damn good)

Here's a clip from Toh Kay in the city:

As you could tell, he was very talkative and joked around with the crowd all night.

Matt Wong left RBF back in 2007 also. I hate when my favorite bands members go their own ways but both of them left the band to pursue a family and other things. I know Wong is making his own beats, I forget what name hes under now.

I have never really been able to get THAT into the bosstones but I do have all of their music and listen to them quite a bit. If Toh Kay does another acoustic show.....I expect both of you to be there with me. hahaha It was the best show I have ever been to.

Here's my favorite song from LTJ's new EP Greetings From Less Than Jake (even though the whole ep is damn good)

Here's a clip from Toh Kay in the city:

As you could tell, he was very talkative and joked around with the crowd all night.

Damn, totally forgot Wong had left a few years back. That little nugget of information must have been replaced by a hockey stat or something :D

That LTJ song is a good one and it's nice to hear them going back in time a bit with their sound. Always a good idea to simplify when the music stops working. Oh and that Toh Kay song? Pretty much the coolest thing I've heard all week. Really bummed I missed that show now!

DOM are a freakin hilarious band. The singer - Dom - refuses to give his last name, because he says he owes people money in Massachusetts and doesn't want to pay it back.

He also said in an interview with Pitchfork that this song, Bochicha (written about his cat, apparently) was used as a goal song by the Worchester Sharks. But when the writer/editor called to confirm, the Sharks said they've never played the song before. You gotta love a band that just says sh!t for the sake of saying it. :lol:

Yeah man, thanks for the link! Going to start getting into Dom, loved what I've heard so far and the singer seems like a real interesting dude haha! I was really hoping to see The Joy Formidable when they played in Princeton recently but I had no money. Hopefully next time they play close to Jersey I can get there, dying to see them. Going to check out Titus Andronicus music later tonight!

Kinda random, but any ska fans like Catch 22? My cousin is the trumpet player.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Yeah man, thanks for the link! Going to start getting into Dom, loved what I've heard so far and the singer seems like a real interesting dude haha! I was really hoping to see The Joy Formidable when they played in Princeton recently but I had no money. Hopefully next time they play close to Jersey I can get there, dying to see them. Going to check out Titus Andronicus music later tonight!

I'm certain you'll love Titus. In addition to the song in the video I posted, I highly recommend A More Perfect Union, Theme from "Cheers", and Titus Andronicus Forever/...and Ever (two songs, same theme)

I like Catch-22. I've always loved Keasby Nights. Great album. Even when Kalnoky re-recorded it with Streetlight, I liked the Catch-22 version better (possibly because I was so used to it.)

Streetlight is apparently working on a new cd as is Less Than Jake. I am sad that Scotty K The trumpet player from RBF left. It wont be the same but still awesome. Did you hear LTJ's new EP Greetings from Less Than Jake? Its an awesome EP. Back to their old sound rather then what they sounded like on In with the out croud.

I love Starland but if I get the opportunity to see the same concert at The Chance in Poughkeepsie I take that. That place imo is alot better then Starland. You can be outside of the pit up a step above and still be within 50 feet of the stage.

Glad to see another person on here that knows Ska. :cheers:

Late to the party, but I was at that RBF/Streetlight show. Had a great time. I don't know as much Streetlight as I do Reel Big Fish, but I enjoyed Streetlight a lot.... Especially the Me and Julio cover.

Late to the party, but I was at that RBF/Streetlight show. Had a great time. I don't know as much Streetlight as I do Reel Big Fish, but I enjoyed Streetlight a lot.... Especially the Me and Julio cover.

nice! it was an excellent show... i loved between the 2nd band and RBF they played "Superman" over the PA and the whole place sang the song and i saw some moshing going on, so awesome

and i still cant get enough of these guys work... some serious talent

nice! it was an excellent show... i loved between the 2nd band and RBF they played "Superman" over the PA and the whole place sang the song and i saw some moshing going on, so awesome

Bastards.....

Edited by Quinn01

• 2 weeks later...