music thread

Par9

The DMB Caravan was the best weekend of my life...

Bands I took a particular interest in:

The Head and the Heart

Grace Potter and the Noctournals

Warren Haynes Band

Fitz and the Tantrums

Ray Lamontagne

Thievery Corporation

Guster

Alberta Cross

and of course three full DMB concerts and also a Dave and Tim Reynolds acoustic set.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DMB Caravan was the best weekend of my life...

Bands I took a particular interest in:

The Head and the Heart

Grace Potter and the Noctournals

Warren Haynes Band

Fitz and the Tantrums

Ray Lamontagne

Thievery Corporation

Guster

Alberta Cross

and of course three full DMB concerts and also a Dave and Tim Reynolds acoustic set.

NJdevil26, a good friend of mine saw Thievery Corporation last weekend and said they were great. They're not my cup of tea, but the artist who opened for them, Raphael Saadiq, is. He used to be in Tony Toni Tone. OLD SCHOOL, BABY! :D

Edited by Jerrydevil

Not sure if there's anybody else out there who enjoys harmony driven folk music, but if so, you must check out the new album by Fleet Foxes. Even better than their debut, as impossible as that sounds

Also, if you enjoyed that, then give this a spin. The artist is Niall Connolly, a local NYC folk musician who is pretty damn amazing and will actually sit and have a drink with you after one of his shows. Good fella, great song.

Also, if you enjoyed that, then give this a spin. The artist is Niall Connolly, a local NYC folk musician who is pretty damn amazing and will actually sit and have a drink with you after one of his shows. Good fella, great song.

You never cease to amaze with your musical taste, Bulletproof. I discovered this same song for myself maybe three days ago and have been playing it non-stop.

I absolutely love the The National reference in the song, naturally.

You never cease to amaze with your musical taste, Bulletproof. I discovered this same song for myself maybe three days ago and have been playing it non-stop.

I absolutely love the The National reference in the song, naturally.

Wow, how's that for random! It's funny, Niall is almost a friend of mine. He was the best man at my very good friends wedding and we got introduced that way. Actually saw him at a bar this past Friday playing to a room of 15 people who could've cared less, me being the only one there who was there to see him. He plays gigs all over NYC pretty regularly, usually just him and his guitar but when he gets together with a band, it's usually amazing. Definately worth checking out live and if you ever go to one of his bigger shows, I'll probably be there! In fact, I'm planning on playing a song of his on my podcast tonight, so it's really ironic somebody has heard of him, let alone enjoy his work!

Wow, how's that for random! It's funny, Niall is almost a friend of mine. He was the best man at my very good friends wedding and we got introduced that way. Actually saw him at a bar this past Friday playing to a room of 15 people who could've cared less, me being the only one there who was there to see him. He plays gigs all over NYC pretty regularly, usually just him and his guitar but when he gets together with a band, it's usually amazing. Definately worth checking out live and if you ever go to one of his bigger shows, I'll probably be there! In fact, I'm planning on playing a song of his on my podcast tonight, so it's really ironic somebody has heard of him, let alone enjoy his work!

Hah, that's pretty awesome. I really have to check out more of his stuff. I literally only know the song you posted, because someone on a National forum a frequent posted it because of the lyric. But I do really like that song. I'll definitely try to check out a show later in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard Blink's new song 'Up All Night'? I like it, but it definitely isn't blink-182. If this is the new direction they're taking, I'll still support them (I'm a fan, not a critic), but I'll silently twiddle my thumbs and listen to Dude Ranch.

can't expect a band to sound the same for 15 years... music matures as the band does... considering where they were with Take Off Your Pants and Untitled... this is a natural step

i liked the song, but im more of a hard rock/metal guy, Dude Ranch got annoying for me, i liked Enema of the State, TOYPAJ and Untitled much more

well find out im sure when we see them live next week... can't wait... that show starts a full week off down the store with tons of alcohol, gonna be a great show

then im seeing The Damned Things (Fall Out Boy Guitarst & Drummer, Both Anthrax Guitarists and Singer + Bassist from Everytime I Die) in the City... love that band

crazy summer of shows

Spent yesterday covering Warped Tour for the Patch. Got to take photos/videos at the stage of Less Than Jake, River City Extension, August Burns Red, and Black Veil Brides. Pretty cool - RCE are the only band of the four that I really like, but I got some damn good pictures at least.

What the hell happened to Unwritten Law? They were playing on some stage in the back for like 40 people tops. I used to love those guys ten years ago, do kids these days just really not give a crap about anything that isn't growling obnoxious vocals and stupid song titles?

Spent yesterday covering Warped Tour for the Patch. Got to take photos/videos at the stage of Less Than Jake, River City Extension, August Burns Red, and Black Veil Brides. Pretty cool - RCE are the only band of the four that I really like, but I got some damn good pictures at least.

What the hell happened to Unwritten Law? They were playing on some stage in the back for like 40 people tops. I used to love those guys ten years ago, do kids these days just really not give a crap about anything that isn't growling obnoxious vocals and stupid song titles?

Damn you. LTJ is one of my favorite bands. They are alot of fun in concert.

Damn you. LTJ is one of my favorite bands. They are alot of fun in concert.

ive seen LTJ twice... so much fun live... i saw em a a few years ago and they had a wheel of fortune game... some fan came up, spun it, and they'd play a few songs off that album... when Borders and Boundaries came up, Chris (lead singer) said "ehh that album sucks, spin it again)

@ Starland w/ Catch 22 they played all of Losing Streak, some of Hello Rockview and of course... We're all Dudes from Good Burger, with a guy on stage skanking with the Good Burger uniform

next tuesday is Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish @ Starland... can't wait for that

ive seen LTJ twice... so much fun live... i saw em a a few years ago and they had a wheel of fortune game... some fan came up, spun it, and they'd play a few songs off that album... when Borders and Boundaries came up, Chris (lead singer) said "ehh that album sucks, spin it again)

@ Starland w/ Catch 22 they played all of Losing Streak, some of Hello Rockview and of course... We're all Dudes from Good Burger, with a guy on stage skanking with the Good Burger uniform

next tuesday is Streetlight Manifesto and Reel Big Fish @ Starland... can't wait for that

The concert you saw with LTJ was with Streetlight, RBF, Suburban Legends and so on at Starland in the parkinglot right? I was at that concert and it was awesome. I saw them about 2 years ago in the city and they played the Free Credit Report.com song before they came out with their tv ep. It was hilarious. I really wanted to go to the RBF Streetlight concert next week but I couldnt get off of work and afford the 30 dollar ticket. :doh1: So I am extremely jealous of you. Youll have to let me know how it was. Streetlights always great in concert and RBF...well they are always amazing.

I saw Toh Kay (lead singer of Streetlight) in the city back in May on his acoustic tour.....one of the best shows I have ever been to. He was hilarious and awesome. Asked what everyone wanted to hear and people would shout stuff out and hed play it. There were maybe 30 of us in this bar. It was really really cool. He messed the words up a little bit a few times. Before he even started he came out on stage and said "After all these years I still have to go on google and look up my own lyrics to songs because I dont know them." That was pretty funny.

The concert you saw with LTJ was with Streetlight, RBF, Suburban Legends and so on at Starland in the parkinglot right? I was at that concert and it was awesome. I saw them about 2 years ago in the city and they played the Free Credit Report.com song before they came out with their tv ep. It was hilarious. I really wanted to go to the RBF Streetlight concert next week but I couldnt get off of work and afford the 30 dollar ticket. :doh1: So I am extremely jealous of you. Youll have to let me know how it was. Streetlights always great in concert and RBF...well they are always amazing.

I saw Toh Kay (lead singer of Streetlight) in the city back in May on his acoustic tour.....one of the best shows I have ever been to. He was hilarious and awesome. Asked what everyone wanted to hear and people would shout stuff out and hed play it. There were maybe 30 of us in this bar. It was really really cool. He messed the words up a little bit a few times. Before he even started he came out on stage and said "After all these years I still have to go on google and look up my own lyrics to songs because I dont know them." That was pretty funny.

yeaa that was outside @ starland, great show

the freecreditreport song sounds hilarious, id love to see that live if i see them again, but Good Burger was amazing haha

this is my 5th time seeing Streetlight, love seeing them live, and RBF itll be the 3rd... The first time i saw RBF, toward the end of the night, people started to leave just after they finished playing "Beer" The lead singer said "hey! where's everyone going, theres more music!" the horn player then said "uhh what do we do... Lets play Beer again!" so they played Beer and 2nd time and ended with Sell Out the next song... so random and hilarious

I heard about the acoustic tour but couldn't get the time to see it, i am jealous you saw that, must've been epic

and ill let you know how crazy it was, because knowing Streetlight shows inside Starland... its always packed beyond anything legal

I hope they are making a 3rd album... they need new music haha

yeaa that was outside @ starland, great show

the freecreditreport song sounds hilarious, id love to see that live if i see them again, but Good Burger was amazing haha

this is my 5th time seeing Streetlight, love seeing them live, and RBF itll be the 3rd... The first time i saw RBF, toward the end of the night, people started to leave just after they finished playing "Beer" The lead singer said "hey! where's everyone going, theres more music!" the horn player then said "uhh what do we do... Lets play Beer again!" so they played Beer and 2nd time and ended with Sell Out the next song... so random and hilarious

I heard about the acoustic tour but couldn't get the time to see it, i am jealous you saw that, must've been epic

and ill let you know how crazy it was, because knowing Streetlight shows inside Starland... its always packed beyond anything legal

I hope they are making a 3rd album... they need new music haha

Streetlight is apparently working on a new cd as is Less Than Jake. I am sad that Scotty K The trumpet player from RBF left. It wont be the same but still awesome. Did you hear LTJ's new EP Greetings from Less Than Jake? Its an awesome EP. Back to their old sound rather then what they sounded like on In with the out croud.

I love Starland but if I get the opportunity to see the same concert at The Chance in Poughkeepsie I take that. That place imo is alot better then Starland. You can be outside of the pit up a step above and still be within 50 feet of the stage.

Glad to see another person on here that knows Ska. :cheers:

Edited by Quinn01