New Jersey Devils Draft Party

GoArmySports

Does a Rolston stick not work or something? Here's a tip, if you were going to blow $75 on a stick that apparently you're not going to use because you care more about the name than the curve or condition of it, you should have bought someone's pass. Because if you can afford those sticks for no reason, you're not as hard up as you're making it out to be.

That or just buy the stick when it comes up on e-bay and save the aggravation from waiting in line. You'll pay a few more bucks, admittedly I don't know how high those auctions get but it's not like these aren't gettable items.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was thinking of popping over after work since i pass the rock on my way home but decided against it because i was just too tired. sounds like i didnt miss much. did the party pretty much end after the devils picked or what?

Yea they started closing down after the Devils picked.

Season ticket holders were in a room in the basement of the prudential center watching on small 40" TVs with crappy sh!t food. the only benefit season ticket holders got was the early access to the equipment sale, and I was at the end of the line and there was really nothing left at that point too.....

The arena was booked with a concert tonight at 8pm,so Devils fans were pushed to the street for some reggae concert. thanks vanderbeek.

I am sure they made much more money off the reggaeton concert than any year of the draft party.

This is exactly what I am saying. If you cant afford season tickets you have to go stand in line, which I am fine with. Thats not what my gripe is with. What I have a problem with is the fact that you, as a VIP, got in there before everyone else. I get that, and because of that you "left with some great stuff." Me on the other hand, because I am a college student, can not afford season tickets. When I got in there, there where more sticks of Rolston and Rasmussen sticks then anyone else. I shouldnt have to buy season tickets or go out and spend more money on a VIP ticket that I buy off of someone else. Your benfit is getting in there almost an hour before I did, not the first shot at anything you want. That is the wrong part. Your are a season ticket holder....not a king.

I don't understand what the difference is between getting in an hour earlier and having first shot at anything they want.

I am absolutely SHOCKED to come on here and read pages of complaints from people at the party tonight. (SARCASM) No matter what happens people will always complain. NEWSFLASH: As someone pointed out, not everyone can leave with a stick of a marquee player ie: Kovy, Elias, Parise etc. It is just not possible. With that being said, people are complaining that the VIPs shouldn't get preferential treatment....but if they were a VIP they would want the same treatment. If there was no "VIP" access, the STH would get all up in arms. "We deserve perks as STH's!!!" It is a viscious cycle, and everyone defends the position of whatever side of the fence they fall on. I have been on both sides of situations like this, and it definitely sucks to be on the "losing" end of it. The price increases did suck as did the limits. Overall the party was a borderline disaster which is now the norm for ANY and ALL Devils events. It's just the way it is....

The franchise and everyone involved with the equipment sale should be fvcking ashamed of themselves. fvcking ashamed. I am beyond upset. I stood 3 hours early in line, top 100 in line today. 5:30 I actually got in to the sale, 45 min after it started to rain. I got in....there was sh!t for sale. No gloves, crap jerseys, and sticks that basically were choices of 3 White, 3 Volecnkov, 2 Tallinder, 4 Rupp, 5 Rasmussen, 40 Rolston, 2 Greene (both in peoples hands and 2 Taormina. Not to mention it was 75 a stick. The VIP's cleaned it all out. Thats an issue on its own. Basically, if you werent a VIP you got fvcked. Now...onto the draft that they were "televising".....it was a projector screen outside in the rain. Are you kidding me!? Maybe its because I have never been to one of these before, but all I learned was if you arent a VIP dont waste your time going down there, paying 25 for parking and 5 a hotdog.

Vanderbeek, youll be getting a letter.

Pat, i think you're overreacting a tad here. It's common knowledge that after the STH's and non-STH's got done, there was going to be little or nothing left from the sale even at a 4 stick limit. It was that way last year, too. That's why it was a waste to even go in the general public line.

The limit did not mean one of each player, either. That means someone could take 4 of the same player and walk out hence a percieved shortage moreso then an already shortage of "better" sticks.

The STH early admission, almost every NHL team i know has early admission for STH before the public, so it's not really a surprise they finally went this route. However, as i stated before, it should be for STH's and their select "guests" only. There were people there who bought the better items/better selections who were not STH's, is that who you are angry with as well?

The Devils are trying some different things and i give them points for trying, but this organization still misses little details among the big picture within it's marketing/organizational skills and it's a trait that's been going on for 20 years.

I don't understand what the difference is between getting in an hour earlier and having first shot at anything they want.

I dont know how many VIP's there were but for the sake of argument, lets say 50 of them. If all 50 buy 4 sticks, thats 200 sticks. When I got in there there was maybe 200 sticks still sitting there and when I asked if that was it or if they were bringing anymore in, I was told nope thats it. The pickings were slim. That one hour ahead of us cleaned out what I would assume a good chunk of the STH'ers are collectors as well so they picked up any stick they didnt, or wanted, to add to their own collection. There are also those scumbags that are looking to just make a profit, like the fvcker that was selling a Kovalchuk stick that he hadent even purchased yet. It shouldnt matter what I use the stick for, if its collecting dust on my wall or if I use it on the ice, the fact is if you werent a VIP ticket holder, you were looked at as not being nearly on the same level.

So nobody had a good time at this party or is it a different perspective if you weren't going there for the sale? I wanted to go just to be there and watch it with other Devils fans but didn't feel like standing in the rain to get drenched on to watch the first four picks of the draft on the dopey LED screen or whatever they put it on. I usually do go when it's inside the arena, but it was definitely weather-contingent this year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

So nobody had a good time at this party or is it a different perspective if you weren't going there for the sale? I wanted to go just to be there and watch it with other Devils fans but didn't feel like standing in the rain to get drenched on to watch the first four picks of the draft.

It was alright, I went there to dumpster dive and hang out. Both missions were accomplished. Considering they couldn't use the arena (that's a whole other thing) there was nothing wrong with it.

The sale always makes people butthurt. But it wasn't like you couldn't buy your way to the front of the line, and if you're buying $300 worth of sticks, what's another $50 or so? If you even had to pay that much.

I go in there for a different reason. I spent $1 and I still had fun in there just looking at all the crap. I just wish there was more crap and they were pretty picked clean when I got in, probably about 6:30 or so.

So nobody had a good time at this party or is it a different perspective if you weren't going there for the sale? I wanted to go just to be there and watch it with other Devils fans but didn't feel like standing in the rain to get drenched on to watch the first four picks of the draft on the dopey LED screen or whatever they put it on. I usually do go when it's inside the arena, but it was definitely weather-contingent this year.

Yeah I would have stayed to watch it on the jumbo-tron but when I saw that it was going to be outside in the street on a projector screen, I changed my mind.

This is exactly what I am saying. If you cant afford season tickets you have to go stand in line, which I am fine with. Thats not what my gripe is with. What I have a problem with is the fact that you, as a VIP, got in there before everyone else. I get that, and because of that you "left with some great stuff." Me on the other hand, because I am a college student, can not afford season tickets. When I got in there, there where more sticks of Rolston and Rasmussen sticks then anyone else. I shouldnt have to buy season tickets or go out and spend more money on a VIP ticket that I buy off of someone else. Your benfit is getting in there almost an hour before I did, not the first shot at anything you want. That is the wrong part. Your are a season ticket holder....not a king.

King? Seriously?

You were unhappy that 3 popular player's equipment wasn't there when you arrived in the non-VIP line that late? Righty sticks barely lasted half way through the VIPs. Hell I was 12th in the VIP line and I didn't get a Tedenby stick.

The 4 sticks per person was a good improvement.

I think you had unrealistic expectations.

Edited by mac760

It wasn't too bad of a draft party, but what BS that Pru Center was booked that night, and noone ever thought of the Draft party. I got there around 3:00, maybe a bit earlier, and STILL I did not get any good player sticks. By the time I got there, after the VIP's and about 50-75 people, there were NO Parise, Tedenby, Josefson, Kovalchuk, or goalies sticks available. Kinda bummed for that, but got Talinder and Pelly sticks. Not too bad, but could have been better.

The Devils rewarded their best customers that's just good business. To bad I didn't have any interest in the sale hah. The STH locker room was ok if you got a table to sit at, which I was lucky enough to have. The food was absolutely terrible however.

I am a STH w/ very little interest in the EQ sale. When i saw what the party entailed, i just sold my tickets to someone who wanted to hit the EQ sale.

Not worth the bullsh!t to me.

Yeah, if you wanted a particular stick you could probably use whatever you got for selling the VIP tickets and purchase that stick on e-bay or a message board :lol:

King? Seriously?

You were unhappy that 3 popular player's equipment wasn't there when you arrived in the non-VIP line that late? Righty sticks barely lasted half way through the VIPs. Hell I was 12th in the VIP line and I didn't get a Tedenby stick.

The 4 sticks per person was a good improvement.

I think you had unrealistic expectations.

I've never participated in the stick line and I could have told him he wasn't getting ****. It's the law of supply and demand. The only other thing the Devils could do is maybe as someone said is keep the four stick limit but also have a one stick per player limit, so if you got four sticks it would have to be four different players.

What's the big deal about game-used anyway if you're not buying it to sell off for profit, just find out what brand the player uses and then get a new one.

Edited by NJDevs4978

i never cared about the sticks. back in 2001 i bought a pandolfo stick just for the helluva it and that was it. i always like looking at the random crap they pull out every year -- the tshirts, albany river rats merch, old school starting lineup figures...plus it doesnt get much better than the grant marshall/bruce driver family feud trainwreck from last year's equipment sale.

Yeah, if you wanted a particular stick you could probably use whatever you got for selling the VIP tickets and purchase that stick on e-bay or a message board :lol:

I've never participated in the stick line and I could have told him he wasn't getting ****. It's the law of supply and demand. The only other thing the Devils could do is maybe as someone said is keep the four stick limit but also have a one stick per player limit, so if you got four sticks it would have to be four different players.

What's the big deal about game-used anyway if you're not buying it to sell off for profit, just find out what brand the player uses and then get a new one.

It's considerably cheaper as long as it's in good condition. So that's why people who collect and use rage on this stuff. But if you're buying to use you should probably be more concerned about the curve and the condition anyway. If some schmuck off the street tries to use a Kovy stick, hilarity will probably ensue.

Collecting, it's obvious what people are after. But hey, if you want it, you gotta want it, and you still have to get lucky. Strolling onto the regular line at 5PM is going to get you a whole lot of Petr Vrana

The best way is to let the VIP STH'ers get in there for an hour without being rushed by all of us outside, let it be relaxed then tell them, ok we are letting the monkeys out of their cages and let the rest of us in. Every 30 min, drop some more sticks out there. Keep it mixed up. It sucks to be in line for so long and then to be told ok well this is what we have left on top of that being rushed out by the staff to let more people in. It could just be organized so much more then it was. Im not saying cut all the benefits off for those with ST's. Yes they do deserve a little extra but not that much more. When I say I wanted a Kovalchuk or Zajac or Elias stick, I am just throwing those names out there. Basically I just didnt want a Pelly or Rolston which is 90% of what was there. I would have gotten VIP tickets if I had the money. I learned my lesson, next year I will buy a VIP ticket off of ebay. :rolleyes:

It wasn't too bad of a draft party, but what BS that Pru Center was booked that night, and noone ever thought of the Draft party. I got there around 3:00, maybe a bit earlier, and STILL I did not get any good player sticks. By the time I got there, after the VIP's and about 50-75 people, there were NO Parise, Tedenby, Josefson, Kovalchuk, or goalies sticks available. Kinda bummed for that, but got Talinder and Pelly sticks. Not too bad, but could have been better.

There are never Parise's. As far as the Tedenby and Josefson's they were few and far between for VIPs. Goalies were only Hedberg and $25. They weren't going to last...

I got in line at about 4:15-4:20ish. I didnt get in the sale until like 6:10-6:30 (lost track of time) and honestl I did not plan to spend more than $40. But I walked out with 2 game worn jerseys and the tiffany glasses and I am pretty happy. I got a couple of sticks a couple years back and right now I do not even have them in my place. Instead they are at my parent's place with my other old sticks collecting dust. Just not my thing.

As for the VIP area, what kind of food was it that was so terrible? When I read that part on the Devils website, I did imagine a small, cramped room with only 2 or 3 average sized TV's and small, sh!tty stadium-quality finger food and tiny drinks the size of sample cups. Am I right in that description? I have learned over the years that almost anything that sounds cool advertised by the Devils as a perk or something special usually turns out to be cheap or bush-league quality.

As for the draft party as a whole, I did have a pretty good time. I got a free can of Pepsi Max and since I rarely drink much caffiene, I am now up and shaking as I type this now lol. Better than paying $5 for a soda from the little food stand that only sold $5 hot dogs. Couldn't Nathans sponsor that to be $1 hot dogs? lol. The screen outside was ok and did it's job. Only other complaints was the band was loud (they were facing towards a large brick wall that was only about 60 feet away and therefore was making it sound even louder) and the sound during the drafting process was kinda too quiet.

The best way is to let the VIP STH'ers get in there for an hour without being rushed by all of us outside, let it be relaxed then tell them, ok we are letting the monkeys out of their cages and let the rest of us in. Every 30 min, drop some more sticks out there. Keep it mixed up. It sucks to be in line for so long and then to be told ok well this is what we have left on top of that being rushed out by the staff to let more people in. It could just be organized so much more then it was. Im not saying cut all the benefits off for those with ST's. Yes they do deserve a little extra but not that much more. When I say I wanted a Kovalchuk or Zajac or Elias stick, I am just throwing those names out there. Basically I just didnt want a Pelly or Rolston which is 90% of what was there. I would have gotten VIP tickets if I had the money. I learned my lesson, next year I will buy a VIP ticket off of ebay. :rolleyes:

Even with a VIP ticket you would have probably gotten none of what you wanted with your 3PM arrival.

If they hold equipment back then all that would happen is people would mill about waiting for the next stick dump. The line would never move. It was very crowded as it was.

Tiered pricing might have nixed the side deals for right handed sticks.

IDEA:

I may get flamed for this but what about doing the equipment sale every other year giving more of a selection to the public (2 season's worth of equipment)while keeping the 4 stick or equipment limit

They probably didn't want to store anymore than they have to.

The sale is very polarizing. They never seem to be able to please everyone.

There are never Parise's. As far as the Tedenby and Josefson's they were few and far between for VIPs. Goalies were only Hedberg and $25. They weren't going to last...

Really? I thought there were Parise sticks there 2 years ago. at least that's what I remember.

IDEA:

I may get flamed for this but what about doing the equipment sale every other year giving more of a selection to the public (2 season's worth of equipment)while keeping the 4 stick or equipment limit

It's a draw and they market it in with the draft party which, depending on how you view it, is both good and bad.

I'd like to see them try it one year separate from draft day like some other teams do.

The limit was a good call and a long time coming. They should expand that to one of each player, but that would require staff looking over namestamps on sticks and it would slow the line down even more.

People have 15 years to get a Kovalchuk stick and it's pretty well set in stone that this is an every year event now, not something that's tentative each year. That's why it didn't bother me to miss it this year and that's why it shouldn't get people upset about missing out on anything.