Parise update: Team-elected arbitration looking likely

ghdi

did anyone actually read the article? either TG is being coy, or he's just having fun stirring up a hornet's nest (or being a parise camp mouthpiece) - nowhere in that article does TG even assert that a source told him that the devils will file for team-elected arbitration.

did anyone actually read the article? either TG is being coy, or he's just having fun stirring up a hornet's nest (or being a parise camp mouthpiece) - nowhere in that article does TG even assert that a source told him that the devils will file for team-elected arbitration.

It's still the most likely outcome by a mile. Letting him go RFA would be interesting, but the Devils don't do it.

It's still the most likely outcome by a mile. Letting him go RFA would be interesting, but the Devils don't do it.

well, it would put the ball in his court. team-elected arbitration is just a way of ensuring that both sides reach a favorable deal, because any deal they reach will be better for parise than walking out of arbitration with a $5M contract.

well, it would put the ball in his court. team-elected arbitration is just a way of ensuring that both sides reach a favorable deal, because any deal they reach will be better for parise than walking out of arbitration with a $5M contract.

but it also erases his need to deal with them ever again. RFA gives them right of first refusal. the way the Devils work, it's probably more likely he gets a long-term deal that way. The Devils long-term reupping someone before UFA not named Stevens or Brodeur will be one of the signs of the apocolypse.

of course just as he could go to arbitration and walk, he could accept his QO and walk, but that would be a weird move.

I'm really surprised with how forthcoming Parise is with his comments throughout all of this. On the one hand it's refreshing and enlightening, but on the other hand you can almost hear the disappointment and aggravation in Parise's voice.

I believe that's what a lot of agents want their players to go for. It puts pressure on the team because now if Parise isn't signed the Devils are the "bad" guys to the fans. Parise wanted to stay, he said so, obviously the Devils were the problem. It's a PR game.

I also feel that the Devils will use this whole situation to their advantage from a marketing point of view as well. This is bringing attention to the organisation, its getting people talking.

Plus there is the oppertunity when they do re-sign him (which i think is inevitable, after a losing season you cannot afford to lose a fan favourite and franchise player, who holds massive appeal to the younger generation) to make him captain and market the hell out of it for tickets/merch pre season boost.

It's all about the cap. I am worried too, but I think it is smart for Lou to wait to see what the cap number is before he gives Zach a contract offer. I would hope Zach understands that. I think the deal will end u being either 12/72million or 15/90million which is a 6 million dollar cap hit and the deal doesn't need to be front loaded or anything because each deal breaks down to an even 6 million per year.

but it also erases his need to deal with them ever again. RFA gives them right of first refusal. the way the Devils work, it's probably more likely he gets a long-term deal that way. The Devils long-term reupping someone before UFA not named Stevens or Brodeur will be one of the signs of the apocolypse.

colin white. david clarkson. paul martin was signed through 1 year of UFA, so was brian gionta. the devils haven't had a contract end before ufa like this in a long time.

of course just as he could go to arbitration and walk, he could accept his QO and walk, but that would be a weird move.

i don't think he can accept his QO if the devils elect for arbitration.

Edited by Triumph

I believe that's what a lot of agents want their players to go for. It puts pressure on the team because now if Parise isn't signed the Devils are the "bad" guys to the fans. Parise wanted to stay, he said so, obviously the Devils were the problem. It's a PR game.

Definitely one way to look at it. Still surprising though, I expected this whole affair to be "status quo" from both sides until one day someone got signed or arbitration was filed.

I'm not so sure that it's all about the cap. With Arnott's contract off the books and the cap expected to raise, we should have plenty of room to fit him in. I'm also concerned that maybe the Devils are a little bit wary of handing out another ~70-100 million dollar contract the very next summer.

I'm wondering if they're more sure that they'll be able to give him the money he wants next summer when the time comes.. Brodeur, Rolston, White, and Salvador's contracts all come off of the books. That's an extra 16 million dollars not assigned to anyone. Assuming Marty signs on for another year or two, you'd have to imagine he's taking a paycut. Maybe not significant, but I couldn't see the devils paying him more (or Marty asking for more) than the 5.2 he's making right now. Same goes for White, I'd guess that he'll be more in the 2/y range than the 3 he's at right now. But if the Devils elect to wait until next year to talk long-term with Parise.. even if their hand is forced at giving him a nice chunk of cash, they'll be able to. If Parise really wants to be a Devil in the long run, he'll have that option. And he won't need to take a serious discount, either.

Good post and good points. I don't know if this is what Lou is thinking or not, but I guess its possible. I'd still rather just lock him up now so we could stop worrying about it though lol.