Craig Ramsay on radar if Winnipeg passes.

Maddog

Winnipeg GM Kevin Cheveldayoff planned to interview Craig Ramsay, who coached the Atlanta Thrashers last season but was not automatically renewed for that job when the team was sold. If Ramsay is not given the job by Winnipeg, there is strong speculation that he could be the Devils’ top choice.

Ken Hitchcock and Marc Crawford, two marquee names, remain available, but the Devils have not pursued either at this point, even though Lamoriello said today he has been concentrating on the coaching search along with the upcoming entry draft.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2011/06/devils_search_for_coach_craig.html

Edited by Maddog2009

strong speculation by anyone other than chere?

i think the bigger key to the article is mentioning of ownership issues. lou even gives a no comment on his future.

I wouldn't read to much into that,you know how Lou is.

"Status Quo" :evil:

strong speculation by anyone other than chere?

i think the bigger key to the article is mentioning of ownership issues. lou even gives a no comment on his future.

re: ramsay, it would make sense for why there's been such a long delay - this true north stuff began what, a month ago? although ramsay's usage of different players last year was bizarre.

i think lou would always no comment his own future.

re: ramsay, it would make sense for why there's been such a long delay - this true north stuff began what, a month ago? although ramsay's usage of different players last year was bizarre.

i think lou would always no comment his own future.

Agree

As soon as the ownership issues are settled, and according to someone I talked to a few months ago with strong ties to Vanderbeek they were supposed to be settled by late-April, Lou's days are numbered. He has no contract right now. This is why NOTHING has been done so far this off-season. This isn't the first time Chere has mentioned Lou's future. He knows what's going on, but just can't outright say it. If and when all this goes down I'll post more of what I was told. I just don't want to: A.) Get this person in major trouble. B.) Look like a complete dummy if none of this happens. Actually from what I was told, Vanderbeek will be the one looking like a complete phony.

Am I alone in saying I don't want ramsey? Not familiar with him but this just looks like we're catoring to kovalchuk by getting one of his old coaches.

Not sure if Kovy was there when he was coach. I thought they just hired Rammer begining of last season.

Anyway, he isn't a very good coach, so I agree with you about NOT wanting him.

As soon as the ownership issues are settled, and according to someone I talked to a few months ago with strong ties to Vanderbeek they were supposed to be settled by late-April, Lou's days are numbered. He has no contract right now. This is why NOTHING has been done so far this off-season. This isn't the first time Chere has mentioned Lou's future. He knows what's going on, but just can't outright say it. If and when all this goes down I'll post more of what I was told. I just don't want to: A.) Get this person in major trouble. B.) Look like a complete dummy if none of this happens. Actually from what I was told, Vanderbeek will be the one looking like a complete phony.

I also think Lou's days are numbered, but I thought he was signed through next year. I mean, they've probably got to hurry it up if they plan to make this switch.

Edited by Triumph

Interesting. I had heard from someone that all was not well in the higher-echelons of management, but it wasn't clear to me who was on who's side and what the fallout would look like.

I'm guessing then that Lou hires this coach and sticks around through next season and steps down as GM after the 2012 season (I could see him staying in the organization as President still). I just hope his son isn't in line for his job.

I think Ramsay will be looking for work. The word here in Winnipeg is that Mike Haviland has an interview with TNSE tomorrow and is the likely new coach. He has a good friendship with GM Kevin Cheveldayoff.

Guest ThepArsiEhOPe

Why Ramsay? What did he do in Atlanta? i don't follow them but they only made playoffs once and we make it 13 years out of 14. Doesn't seem a fit to me. Someone have better insight?

Why Ramsay? What did he do in Atlanta? i don't follow them but they only made playoffs once and we make it 13 years out of 14. Doesn't seem a fit to me. Someone have better insight?

You do realize that the Devils have had much better teams than Atlanta has ever had, right? It's not like the only thing that decides whether or not a team makes the playoffs is the coach... far from it, in fact.

OK, so what I gather from this thread is the following:

1. Vanderbeek is at war with Chambers

2. Lou Lamoriello is a Vanderbeek supporter

3. Vanderbeek loses out on the keeping the team to himself then Lou goes as well?

4. Vanderbeek being a "phony" is also mentioned, which isn't a complete shocker to me.

5. Bottom line, Vanderbeek appears to me to be an all out snake, not truly interested in making the Devils a winning club, but making them a notch in his belt of assets.

?

Guest ThepArsiEhOPe

You do realize that the Devils have had much better teams than Atlanta has ever had, right? It's not like the only thing that decides whether or not a team makes the playoffs is the coach... far from it, in fact.

I ment coaching style, did it do much for Atlanta?

I'm New to the boards, but have been a huge NJ Devils fan for many years. Hope I can add some interesting thoughts.

I wouldn't jump up and down if Craig Ramsey is hired, but I will say he has a ton of experience. The head coach will be very important, but we also need depth with some quality assistants, that can take over at some point.

I wish that Larry Robinson would take another crack at it. I really liked him behind the bench and I thought the players really respected him.

At some point they need to bring in some new blood at the NHL level. There is so much recycling of coaches, it gets stale. Kevin Dineen is a very good AHL level coach. I see him as an eventual NHL coach.