Bryzgalov Deal Done, LOL Flyers

Triumph

There was A LOT of debate over whether or not Bryz was worth the projected 4-5 million we thought he would get a few weeks ago. 7.1 cap hit? How is this even a discussion. That is WAY too much and the flyers now have 9 million dollars committed in net over two decent (not elite) goaltenders.

Good luck with that.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As we have been discussing, Flyers are way over the 10% limit if they make the signing official so they have to trade people away before they can announce a signing. I'm guessing it's a done deal but they haven't signed yet since they can't. If you see them trade any big player away, expect an announcement 10 mins after that.

As we have been discussing, Flyers are way over the 10% limit if they make the signing official so they have to trade people away before they can announce a signing. I'm guessing it's a done deal but they haven't signed yet since they can't. If you see them trade any big player away, expect an announcement 10 mins after that.

Ah, I see. Thanks. Sorry, I checked out of this discussion after page 5 or so, I think (when I went home from work yesterday).

Hasn't been reported by TSN yet. Maybe it was premature that the deal is done and is 7 mils. Anyone have an updated source on this?

ah, someone else has covered this already, so never mind

re: Fleury - M.A. Fleury is not an elite goalie, he's an average to above-average goalie.

Edited by Triumph

im pretty Lou went after Kovalchuk after being one if the the lowest scoring team in the league post-lockout... but that of course is not a big deal for manta... our attack and our PK was perfectly fine the way it was... lol

Can I visit your land of make believe?

Season before Kovy:

GF: 244

PP Rank: 15th

Season with Kovy:

GF: 179

PP Rank: 28th

Lou didn't go after Kovy, he was told to get Kovy.

Season before Kovy:

Season with Kovy:

I'd argue that those stats aren't even relavant, considering Parise was injured and the team, as a whole, faltered, but you'd probably argue that was all kovalchuk's fault to begin with. So...what's the point? :argh:

If you are counting Cam Ward as elite, I'd have to classify Fleury as elite as well - he's only 26 right now.... he was a first overall pick, won the Stanley Cup, and was voted team MVP this year.

Plus, the Devs making the finals in 00, 01, 03 is skewing that greatly prior to the lockout.

Last year to me was definitely the exception, not the new trend that you can just put any competent goalie in nets and compensate for their errors.

Having a great goalie is definitely an advantage, but doesn't guarantee you the cup.

OK, I'll drop the subjective "elite" bolding. But as for the repeating goalies pre- and post-lockout, that's exactly the point. From 1995 until 2003, the only way you won the Cup without an elite goalie was to be the Red "Yankees of Hockey" Wings, and in 2002 even they needed to recruit Hasek.

This time I'll do something a little less subjective ... I'll only bold goalies who won Vezina trophies.

Brodeur (Vernon), Roy (Vanbiesbrouck), Vernon (Hextall), Osgood (Kolzig), Belfour (Hasek), Brodeur (Belfour), Roy (Brodeur), Hasek (Irbe), Brodeur (Giguere), Khabibulin (Kiprusoff). At least one Vezina winner in every Final. If you can name a goaltender who was considered elite in that era, odds are his name is somewhere on that list. Jim Carey and Jose Theodore are the only Vezina winners from that period to not make it to a Final.

Compare that to Ward (Roloson), Giguere (Emery), Osgood (Fleury), Fleury (Osgood), Niemi (Leighton), Thomas (Luongo). Of the four goalies to win the Vezina since the lockout, only Thomas appears on this list. No Kipper, no Marty, no Miller. And then there are the other elite goalies of the era ... Luongo appeared in one Final and Lundqvist never made it past the second round. You can't honestly believe the latter list is a greater testament to the goaltender's influence on his team's success than the former.

The way the game is played has changed. More importantly, the position of goaltender has changed. Blame equipment, blame the butterfly, whatever. Goaltenders aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but compared to their value pre-lockout, sometimes it can seem like it.

Season before Kovy:

Season with Kovy:

Nice sample size.

In related picked-from-thin-air stats... The Devils scored 295 goals in 1989-90 and then only 272 in 1990-91. Clearly, the acquisition of Claude Lemieux ruined the offense and lead to the end of the organization.

The way the game is played has changed. More importantly, the position of goaltender has changed. Blame equipment, blame the butterfly, whatever. Goaltenders aren't exactly a dime a dozen, but compared to their value pre-lockout, sometimes it can seem like it.

What you blame above is actually the main reason. When I think of current non-butterfly goalies off the top of my head, I have Brodeur, Osgood, Hedberg, Thomas. And even they use the butterfly from time to time. Mostly everyone else, especially Luongo, Giguere, Lundqvist, etc, rely on positioning, giant shoulder pads, and oversized leg pads. I guarantee goalies become important again if they make pad size relative to goalie size. (And not the voodoo measurements they use now).

Nice sample size.

In related picked-from-thin-air stats... The Devils scored 295 goals in 1989-90 and then only 272 in 1990-91. Clearly, the acquisition of Claude Lemieux ruined the offense and lead to the end of the organization.

whoo-ho!

OK, I'll drop the subjective "elite" bolding. But as for the repeating goalies pre- and post-lockout, that's exactly the point. From 1995 until 2003, the only way you won the Cup without an elite goalie was to be the Red "Yankees of Hockey" Wings, and in 2002 even they needed to recruit Hasek.

This time I'll do something a little less subjective ... I'll only bold goalies who won Vezina trophies.

Brodeur (Vernon), Roy (Vanbiesbrouck), Vernon (Hextall), Osgood (Kolzig), Belfour (Hasek), Brodeur (Belfour), Roy (Brodeur), Hasek (Irbe), Brodeur (Giguere), Khabibulin (Kiprusoff). At least one Vezina winner in every Final. If you can name a goaltender who was considered elite in that era, odds are his name is somewhere on that list. Jim Carey and Jose Theodore are the only Vezina winners from that period to not make it to a Final.

Compare that to Ward (Roloson), Giguere (Emery), Osgood (Fleury), Fleury (Osgood), Niemi (Leighton), Thomas (Luongo). Of the four goalies to win the Vezina since the lockout, only Thomas appears on this list. No Kipper, no Marty, no Miller. And then there are the other elite goalies of the era ... Luongo appeared in one Final and Lundqvist never made it past the second round. You can't honestly believe the latter list is a greater testament to the goaltender's influence on his team's success than the former.

While I agree with your general premise, part of why none of these guys have won awards is because the awarding is kind of a joke. It's basically a lock that if he stays healthy, Luongo will be handed a Vezina one year, and if Fleury and Ward are 15 year NHL goalies, I'd bet on at least one of them winning one (even though neither is that great).

Brodeur's Vezina winning years only came after he stopped winning championships.

Edited by Triumph

Damn. $7M for a goaltender is way too much. Bryzgalov is a good goaltender but has not won anything and has not proved himself in the playoffs. He had a very bad playoff run this year vs. Detroit. Flyers paid too much to sign Bryzgalov. Now they have to trade either Carter or Richards to get under the salary cap. Carter looks like the one to be traded. I don't think they would trade away Richards their captain. The Flyers may finally have a good goaltender but lets see how he does in the playoffs for them if they make the playoffs. I like Bryzgalov but unfortunately he is on the Flyers now which sucks.

9 years for a goalie...and looking at Phillys luck with goalies, it may not end pretty.

Proteautype Adam Proteau

For his next tricks, Paul Holmgren will slap a Mexican drug lord square in the face and take on Amy Winehouse in a drinking contest. #Balls