All-Purpose Off-Season NHL UFA RUMOR & TRADE Thread

DevilinLA

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only good thing about him being UFA next year is that we have a big chunk of money coming off the cap, meaning we can match nearly any offer. Of course, I'd much rather just have him locked up for 7-8 years this week.

Well i know there's a bunch of money coming off but i just dont think it could help that much... if Parise really wants to sign long term he could just take a bit less the first year since were tight but we would compensate on the 2nd year... im pretty sure he'd be down with that.

i really dont want him to be sign just one year cause like he said... i dont feel like finding the exact quote again... but that if youre UFA why not wait just a few months to see whats the interest out there...

and i can already imagine next season if he's signed one year... we'd be clueless if Lou is even trying to re-sign him asap... anything that would go wrong we would make the assumption that Parise doesnt like it and will walk, etc etc... im pretty sure we can all imagine what it would be like lol and i dont want it... and all we'd get in interviews by Parise is something like... "i dont want to think about it, im just concentrating on my season and on winning, theres still a lot of hockey to play before the summer, we might get a long term deal done, i dont know at this point but i'd like to stay here for sure... bla bla bla"

and i can already imagine next season if he's signed one year... we'd be clueless if Lou is even trying to re-sign him asap... anything that would go wrong we would make the assumption that Parise doesnt like it and will walk, etc etc... im pretty sure we can all imagine what it would be like lol and i dont want it... and all we'd get in interviews by Parise is something like... "i dont want to think about it, im just concentrating on my season and on winning, theres still a lot of hockey to play before the summer, we might get a long term deal done, i dont know at this point but i'd like to stay here for sure... bla bla bla"

This would be one hostile forum should the extension not occur by December or whenever the earliest allowable date passes

nhl.com

Parise's teammate, defenseman Mark Fraser, will follow him with an Aug. 4 hearing.

:rofl:

Why would Fraser ever think he will get a one way contract. He offers nothing that's worth a one way deal.

Tallinder

Volchenkov

Greene

White

Larsson

Fayne/Urbom/Taormina

Corrente

Fraser

I'd put him at #11 on our depth chart, without Salvador.

nhl.com

:rofl:

Why would Fraser ever think he will get a one way contract. He offers nothing that's worth a one way deal.

Tallinder

Volchenkov

Greene

White

Larsson

Fayne/Urbom/Taormina

Corrente

Fraser

I'd put him at #11 on our depth chart, without Salvador.

Would not be surprised to see Fraser leap over Fayne/Urbom/Taormina because his is a Deboer guy.

That's a good point; but I also think Deboer wouldn't be dumb enough to use someone in his top 6 that he (and his boss) knows doesn't belong.

Fraser brings a physical element the other's don't. He has a lot of raw talent that I believe Robinson likes.

I expect at least in the early stages of the season, he is top 6 until someone else steps up.

Fraser brings a physical element the other's don't. He has a lot of raw talent that I believe Robinson likes.

I expect at least in the early stages of the season, he is top 6 until someone else steps up.

This may be the dumbest thing you've ever written. He's got a temper and he can't make a pass to save his life.

Yeah I haven't seen this raw talent you speak of in his time with the AHL/NHL Devils.

Seems like a 7th-d enforcer at best

Robinson might not even be with the team next year. Fraser will be 25 years old when the season starts. His potential is to maybe sneak into the league as a bottom pairing D, but I don't see how that's going to happen here, and I don't see where else he's going to go. He's useful as a 7th D man since he's waiver-eligible and isn't wasting any potential by sitting on the bench, but I'm sure he doesn't agree with that assessment.

He couldn't beat out Anssi Salmela for a place on the team, which is a rather large indictment. He had a decent season all things considered, but he's not good enough to play on the penalty kill.

Edited by Triumph

Robinson might not even be with the team next year. Fraser will be 25 years old when the season starts. His potential is to maybe sneak into the league as a bottom pairing D, but I don't see how that's going to happen here, and I don't see where else he's going to go. He's useful as a 7th D man since he's waiver-eligible and isn't wasting any potential by sitting on the bench, but I'm sure he doesn't agree with that assessment.

He couldn't beat out Anssi Salmela for a place on the team, which is a rather large indictment. He had a decent season all things considered, but he's not good enough to play on the penalty kill.

Clearly you missed what I said and have taken it in a completely different direction.

I didn't say he would be the #1 guy, I said I would not be surprised if he leap frogged over our other unproven defensemen due to his relationship with the new coach.

The fact that he is only 25 is a positive thing as it takes much longer to develop into an NHL caliber defensemen.

I didn't say he would be the #1 guy, I said I would not be surprised if he leap frogged over our other unproven defensemen due to his relationship with the new coach.

the problem is that he doesn't fill any other roles besides being a body.

The fact that he is only 25 is a positive thing as it takes much longer to develop into an NHL caliber defensemen.

no, it doesn't. most current NHL defensemen were full-time players by the time they were his age. put another way, 304 defensemen played in the NHL last year, and 130 were 25 or younger. or if you prefer a games minimum, 73 D 25 and under played 40+ games last year, compared to 197 total.

Edited by Triumph

We already have White, Volchenkov to provide a physical presence and it looks as though Larsson can protect himself as well as Corrente.

:unsure:

Edited by Mayday

the problem is that he doesn't fill any other roles besides being a body.

no, it doesn't. most current NHL defensemen were full-time players by the time they were his age. put another way, 304 defensemen played in the NHL last year, and 130 were 25 or younger. or if you prefer a games minimum, 73 D 25 and under played 40+ games last year, compared to 197 total.

He is physical, the others are not.

Keep your ersatz statistics for the novices on these boards.

Of those 304 defensemen how many were under 24 and played over 80 games?

Also, it will vary by team, low cap teams like Ottawa, Florida, are forced to play younger defensive players, while contending teams will develop them and bring them along slowly.

We already have White, Volchenkov to provide a physical presence and it looks as though Larsson can protect himself as well as Corrente.

:unsure:

Unsure or can't read? Where do I mention him playing over White, Volchenkov??

Unsure or can't read? Where do I mention him playing over White, Volchenkov??

I'm pretty sure his point was "Everything you (Manta) are saying he provides is clearly already provided in abundance by other defenders on the team, so why would he be needed"

+1 He is maybe not the perfect guy in his zone, but he brings a physical element that most of of the other defense-men on the team don't bring and while we may disagree with the amount of raw talent the guy got I still agree on the fact that he got some raw (undeveloped) talent.

Edited by SS-SS

I'm pretty sure his point was "Everything you (Manta) are saying he provides is clearly already provided in abundance by other defenders on the team, so why would he be needed"

He is surely going to loose his spot to another rookie, but until then I think that (at least) Lou is going to see him as a 6th or 7th defense-man over other unproven guys.