All-Purpose Off-Season NHL UFA RUMOR & TRADE Thread

DevilinLA

Dude, I thought Fraser was pretty promising in his first few games but after a while he's proven to be a sub-par defenseman who would be better of being an enforcer on a 4th line. He can't clear the puck out of the net, I've seen several games where he tops the puck trying to make a pass or clear it out of the zone and I don't think he's that much of a physical presence. I can't recall him doing much of anything(checks, etc.) that warrants that he's in any way a physical d man.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Volchenkov-

Tallinder-

White-Greene

This setup is of the general consensus. Their are two spots left(also a 7th defender)for Larsson, Urbom, Fayne, Taormina, Corrente, and Fraser basically. I would presume Larsson is slotted in with Taormina/Fayne getting the other spot.

Manta says Volchenkov/White aren't physical well I could care less how physical our defense would be by adding Fraser...Volchenkov, White, Fraser, Tallinder, Greene, and Larsson is a top six with two average puck movers in Greene and Tallinder and then Larsson but he is only a rookie.

Fraser had his chance, Taormina, Fayne, Urbom, etc. are all knocking on the door and they bring a lot more to the table(puckmoving ability).

Edited by Mayday

He is physical, the others are not.

who cares, he plays 12 minutes a night.

Keep your ersatz statistics for the novices on these boards.

yeah, sorry for trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes with something esoteric like 'games played'.

Of those 304 defensemen how many were under 24 and played over 80 games?

who cares. now you're introducing injuries into the equation, which should probably favor my point.

Also, it will vary by team, low cap teams like Ottawa, Florida, are forced to play younger defensive players, while contending teams will develop them and bring them along slowly.

not true, if anything teams close to the cap should be playing young players just as often because they are low cost and can provide massive savings. your vision of the NHL as a place where defensemen are brought along really slowly hasn't been true for at least 5 years, if it was ever true at all. defensemen tend to peak later than forwards, but if a D is not a regular in the NHL by 25, it's not likely that a D will ever be a regular at all.

Edited by Triumph

There is no way Fraser leapfrogs over Fayne or Taormina when both beat him out to get significant playing time last year and Taormina's the only d-man that can run a power play. Both of them can skate some, a trait that is also in short supply on defense. At best he'll be what he was last year, a seventh D.

quote name='Triumph' timestamp='1311709398' post='1036719']

who cares, he plays 12 minutes a night.

yeah, sorry for trying to pull the wool over everyone's eyes with something esoteric like 'games played'.

who cares. now you're introducing injuries into the equation, which should probably favor my point.

not true, if anything teams close to the cap should be playing young players just as often because they are low cost and can provide massive savings. your vision of the NHL as a place where defensemen are brought along really slowly hasn't been true for at least 5 years, if it was ever true at all. defensemen tend to peak later than forwards, but if a D is not a regular in the NHL by 25, it's not likely that a D will ever be a regular at all.

It's actually closer to 14 minutes, but who is counting? for a 24 year old defensemen that is about right. You expect more each year, if he is progressing according to the coaches.

"Pulling the wool over everyone's eyes" would be to say that you were specifically talking about "games played', which we weren't. You made one of your meandering, nonsensical, contradictory statements:

most current NHL defensemen were full-time players by the time they were his age. Put another way, 304 defensemen played in the NHL last year, and 130 were 25 or younger.”

By your own numbers: If 304 defensemen played in the NHL last year, and 130 were 25 or younger this = 43% so clearly to say MOST NHL DEFENSEMEN would be incorrect.

Break it down another way, out of 304 defensemen only 6 rookies played "Full Time (70+ games)". 6/304 is 2%.

Where did I say one thing about "injuries"?

Also, I said, contending teams have the luxury of bringing up more prepared and developed defensemen slowly, which hasn't changed at all, see your own your faux numbers.

Please try to spread your BS elsewhere.

Edited by MantaRay

There is no way Fraser leapfrogs over Fayne or Taormina when both beat him out to get significant playing time last year and Taormina's the only d-man that can run a power play. Both of them can skate some, a trait that is also in short supply on defense. At best he'll be what he was last year, a seventh D.

Last year, is last year.

New coach, new system.

Last year, is last year.

New coach, new system.

Crossing my fingers that Fraser gets awarded a million bucks in arbitration on August 4th and Jersey walks away from it. That's the most likely scenario to me. But, if he does get a reasonable award, say, 750 or less, I think this lug is destined for the AHL. Larsson, Taormina, Fayne, etc will all be above him in the depth chart, ie, the usefulness chart. With only 1-2 spots up for grabs, I'd be shocked to see Fraser in the top 6, even the top 7. Too many guys going for the same spots, guys with much more upside than Colin White-lite.

It's actually closer to 14 minutes, but who is counting? for a 24 year old defensemen that is about right. You expect more each year, if he is progressing according to the coaches.

that's not about right at all. almost no defensemen play as few minutes per game as mark fraser. fraser ranked 250th out of 304 d men in ice time per game. only 12 D men who played as many games as he did got less ice time per game.

"Pulling the wool over everyone's eyes" would be to say that you were specifically talking about "games played', which we weren't. You made one of your meandering, nonsensical, contradictory statements

right, so what were you talking about? you were talking about 'development'. what better way to show that than games played in the NHL?

By your own numbers: If 304 defensemen played in the NHL last year, and 130 were 25 or younger this = 43% so clearly to say MOST NHL DEFENSEMEN would be incorrect.

good lord you're a fool. do you understand what you've just said? most NHL defenseman are not 25 or younger. what i said is that the majority of full-time NHL defensemen become so before they are 25. and that's easily verifiable and certainly true.

Break it down another way, out of 304 defensemen only 6 rookies played "Full Time (70+ games)". 6/304 is 2%.

terrific. what's your point again?

Where did I say one thing about "injuries"?

when you talk about players who played 80 games in a season, you are talking about injuries, whether you like it or not.

Also, I said, contending teams have the luxury of bringing up more prepared and developed defensemen slowly, which hasn't changed at all, see your own your faux numbers.

but it's really not because of waiver rules.

dchesnokov Dmitry Chesnokov

#Oilers G Nik Khabibulin, found guilty of extreme DUI and speeding in AZ last AUG, will serve 30 days in jail.

Good. Jackass. They should make some of these players work an extra 30 days in McDonalds to show them that if you fvck up again, youll be working here. I dont know why they dont get tossed.

Brings me back to the Dano DWI days.

that's not about right at all. almost no defensemen play as few minutes per game as mark fraser. fraser ranked 250th out of 304 d men in ice time per game. only 12 D men who played as many games as he did got less ice time per game.

right, so what were you talking about? you were talking about 'development'. what better way to show that than games played in the NHL?

good lord you're a fool. do you understand what you've just said? most NHL defenseman are not 25 or younger. what i said is that the majority of full-time NHL defensemen become so before they are 25. and that's easily verifiable and certainly true.

terrific. what's your point again?

when you talk about players who played 80 games in a season, you are talking about injuries, whether you like it or not.

but it's really not because of waiver rules.

OMG your dense.

And again, there is a big difference between a second year player and 304 other defensemen, hence ice time disparity.

Again, I was talking about developing young defensemen and the ice-time. You just meandered and contradicted yourself.

If it's so easy to verify that: the majority of full-time NHL defensemen become so before they are 25.

Then do so, I think you'll learn a lot (or make up more BS to sound knowledgable or just change the subject as usual).

Again, Injuries are part of the game, so that is already factored in.

Go nuts!

Last year, is last year.

New coach, new system.

Players that suck still suck no matter who the coach is :P

If the Devils thought he was such a big part of their future he wouldn't be signing one-year deals at NHL minimum every year.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Manta: I will just take the Atlantic Division, because doing the entire league is stupid. Let's consider players that are full time D.

NJD: Greene (over 25), White, Tallinder, Volchenkov

NYR: Staal, Girardi, Sauer,

PHI: Pronger, Timonen, Carle, Coburn, Lilja (over 25)

NYI: Streit (over 25), Mottau (over 25),

PIT: Letang, Michalek, Martin, Orpik, Niskanen

That's 4 players out of 22. And I didn't even count McDonald, Hamonic, or McDonagh who will all be full time players next year, and were big minutes guys last year.

Edited by Triumph